• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Resistor tubing

notune

Where can i find the clear tubing fond on resistor leads that i see in some amps like Matchless amps. I check my regular suppliers i order from but can't find any. Can anyone help?

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
I just re-purpose insulation from scraps of teflon covered solid core wire. I don't do that to all leads, though. Only leads that might possibly 'get into trouble' if left uninsulated. Otherwise it can be a pain later for troubleshooting and routine maintenance. Leads you would have been able to fasten a mini-grabber lead to if they didn't have the sleeving on them, now you must hold a meter lead probe tip in place on the eyelet/turret to take a measurement...

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
+1 clear heatshrink. The 1/8" diameter is good for most component wires.

bob-i

What I've seen in those amps is not heat shrink. It's a thin Teflon (PTFE) tubing, commonly called spaghetti. Most electronic suppliers sell it. I'd check with mouser first.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
100' rolls. Hope you're hungry! :)

For the OP or whoever, I've got a hundred fifty feet or so of clear sleeving that fits the leads of, say a 20uF/500V Sprague Atom. I have no intentions of using it; bought it on a whim. If you want to try it out I can send 20' or so if you spot me 8 bucks to Priority Mail it to you. It's in 20" segments, not continous.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
LOL, but under $20
I wouldn't recommend using the PVC stuff, it will melt given half a chance during soldering. I was assuming that the PTFE stuff was being suggested (Teflon). Teflon is a little spendier. 20AWG is where you'd want to be pretty much for size, if you're buying one size only.

Trending Topics