Resonance and being a fat man

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by satisphied, Sep 17, 2017.

1. satisphied

satisphied Member

I had some guy tell me years ago that your weight/fat content/build would affect the tone of your guitar because of how it could resonate differently on a fat person vs muscular. I thought this was another wack-a-doo theory like Eric Johnson and his rocking chairs, but I could see how it makes sense.

I am on the more pleasantly plump side of life, but playing electric guitar I could see how actually feeling the vibration of instrument in my core could make things easier to feel. I have a bandmate who said since he started a more physically demanding job and lost a bunch of weight, he can feel his acoustic playing so much more and it inspires him to sing and perform better (on the nights he's not hammered, I think he has actually stepped it up a notch).

Thoughts?

2. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

I find it dubious

satisphied and DrumBob like this.
  3. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Me too! Now pass the baconettes, the smoked salmon dip and spin some Freddy King!:phones

4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Here's my thought on this...it will make as much of a difference as you think it will.

If you can't feel the guitar vibrate when you're playing it, I really don't see how losing weight would suddenly make that same guitar feel like it's vibrating more. My weight has fluctuated, both up and down, and it made absolutely no difference that I can perceive in how the guitar vibrates/resonates against me.

ant_riv likes this.
  5. kimock

kimock Member

Polyester for acoustic?
    That's a thing. .

Weight for guitar tone?
    Nah, all kinds of folks sounds good.

6. Dashface

Dashface Member

I have certainly noticed that acoustics vibrate very differently depending on how tightly you squeeze them to your body... so it doesn't seem surprising to me at all that squeezing an acoustic guitar up against a big old belly would certainly dampen vibrations.

Unexplainedbacon likes this.
  7. Faded

Faded Supporting Member

Only on TGP...

DFB1, Hector Arcadius, monty and 14 others like this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Member

Absolutely correct. You also have to figure in what you're wearing as well. A fat man wearing a suit made of wool will sound different than a fat man wearing cotton. A naked fat man will get sustain for days. Try it.

monty, Drawde, shane8 and 8 others like this.
  9. +3kk!

+3kk! Member

Actually its true, but it only works with acoustics and only works if you do it a certain way. your body needs to touch the back of the guitar by quite a bit. Its the same as you use your hand to hit the guitar or something

but to fix this, just angle the guitar a bit and your problem is solved

Dashface likes this.
  10. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Can fat people not feel things pressing against the skin on their belly? I'm confused.

11. mrfett

mrfett Supporting Member

Thing is, different isn't always better. The fat man in the wool suit might not have the same sustain but cool fabric can keep the guitar's temperature more consistent, allowing the instrument to maintain its tuning longer.

Next time you see a nekkid fat guy playing guitar listen closely. He may have sustain but he's holding slightly out of tune notes. Keep your clothes on.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Multicellular likes this.
  12. wilto

wilto Member

Tone is in the gullet.

shane8 likes this.
  13. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

We are 80% water either way. We are sound deadening not very resonant objects. So this theory is pretty bunk. Muscle is not wood or metal, it's not resonant.

grantaustin likes this.
  14. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Me too. Weird theory.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. gigs

gigs Member

Sound travels about four times faster and farther in water than it does in air.

massacre, cutaway and mrfett like this.
  16. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

That's true, but only for sound emitted in the water. Sound traveling from one medium such as air or the wood of the guitar into a body of water is severely muffled. That's why when you go under water in a pool you can't hear talking on the surface any more.

The acoustic vibrations of your guitar are just gonna get muffled whether it's muscle or fat.

17. gigs

gigs Member

Hmmmmm. I'm not an acoustics engineer, obviously. When I was swimming with humpback whales last Feb in DR, we were in a small boat and at one point when we were moving slowly with the boat running, we heard the singing of a whale thru the hull of the boat. When we dove in the water and put our heads underwater we could hear it very clearly, even felt it. The point is that the sound waves in the water were transferred thru the hull of a boat and were audible outside the water. There are transfer mediums that help the sound waves go from water to air and vicey versy. Not sure if this has anything to do with the topic at hand. Just trying to think it thru while adding some experiences to it.

18. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

Yep but that's because the boat's hull was acting as a speaker. Without the stiff hull of the boat you wouldn't hear the sound of the whale on the surface nearly as clearly. You need something to get the other medium excited and moving. Sticking your head in the water, of course you could hear it even better since the whale is emitting its sounds in the water.

I'm not an acoustic engineer either I could be mistaken but I think this is the correct answer.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  19. gigs

gigs Member

So, if I hold a guitar while playing it against my 80% water (more accurately, beer) belly and somehow you were to get inside my belly, you would hear the guitar?

[​IMG]

20. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

Yeah I think it would be a bit muffled though. Maybe you can swallow a Bluetooth microphone and we can find out? :confused::eek::p

Mental Audio and gigs like this.