Resonance and being a fat man

Patrick B

So, if I hold a guitar while playing it against my 80% water (more accurately, beer) belly and somehow you were to get inside my belly, you would hear the guitar?

Of course you could hear it. A baby inside a woman's womb can hear sounds outside of the womb, like their mothers voice.

Yamaha 350

I had some guy tell me years ago that your weight/fat content/build would affect the tone of your guitar because of how it could resonate differently on a fat person vs muscular. I thought this was another wack-a-doo theory like Eric Johnson and his rocking chairs, but I could see how it makes sense.

I am on the more pleasantly plump side of life, but playing electric guitar I could see how actually feeling the vibration of instrument in my core could make things easier to feel. I have a bandmate who said since he started a more physically demanding job and lost a bunch of weight, he can feel his acoustic playing so much more and it inspires him to sing and perform better (on the nights he's not hammered, I think he has actually stepped it up a notch).

Thoughts?
:eek::confused:

A fart fairy makes my guitar sound great. And a witch gives it a muddy sound thoughts?;)

LaXu

You know how opera singers are often pretty heavy set? Obviously you would get better resonance from that big belly when playing guitar. ;)

But seriously I think the only situation where it might matter a little bit is playing acoustic as someone thin might be able to keep the acoustic away from their body allowing the back to resonate more freely.

Ron Kirn

Platinum Supporting Member
Vendor
I'm sure it's is, in fact, a real phenomena... I'm also sure whatever effect being fat has on the tone, it falls so far below the threshold of being meaningful as to be laughable... which is fortunate because everyone knows us fat guys are always "jolly" and looking for a good laugh, and it would be impossible for us to bend over to find a tone effect so far down the "chain" 'cause, well, we're fat... :p

guys whenever any of this kinda "stuff" comes up about some tonal aspect... Just ask yourself if you really think whatever it is will actually have an effect that is measurable, thus useable... there IS that threshold below which sonic changes ARE measurable in an audio analysis, but during the typical gig, before a crowd of half drunks and at 100 db, would anyone, you included, ever notice it... the answer is no...

Ron Kirn

Mr. Bertha

I don't know if weighing a few extra pounds affects your sound, but I do know that playing guitar with fried-chicken grease on your fingers increases your speed and conditions your fretboard nicely...so it's a trade-off probably.

My first response to this thread to this thread was "oooh TGP here we go again" and that the premise was ridiculous..

But I realize that there are people behind every post and were all different makes, models, shapes and sizes.

Here's what I can say from my experience. I was fat in my twenties, and now I'm not fat in my thirties. I was overweight and drank far too much for a long time, and I've worked on getting a lot healthier, losing the weight and stopping the drinking.

It goes without saying that I've benefited from this greatly... Definitely health wise, nearly everything that was plaguing me or worrying my doctor is fine and I'm in the best shape ever now.. I even avoided a heart condition from developing further and turning into something a lot worse.. Now it's nearly completely gone (1 year symptom free).

How does this pertain to playing guitar? I got better at playing and writing within a few months of lifestyle changes. The mental clarity that losing weight (and cutting alcohol) brings you is really stunning. The focus it brings really benefits me in writing music and improving my playing style. Not only that, I got a ton of time and money back to put towards my passion for guitars.

Long story short, taking care of my health benefited my passion for guitar and music in nearly everyway.

DustyRhodesJr

Silver Supporting Member
Fat people may not want their guitar to resonate much at all.

It can cause pain in the abdomen, and force them to seek medical
care.

If the guitar builder knows the buyer is fat, they will often substitute
an inferior wood, so as not to be legally liable for the stomach discomfort. :D

Hogan/Guitars

Hmmm a water filled guitar. Coat the inside with waterproof whatever and have a little fill hole so the player can add or remove water to tailor his tone needs and weight.

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
TGP never stops with the entertainment. ;)

I'm 255 lbs. My tone is so juicy , chunky and full. :dude

Last edited:

T Dizz

I had some guy tell me years ago that your weight/fat content/build would affect the tone of your guitar because of how it could resonate differently on a fat person vs muscular. I thought this was another wack-a-doo theory like Eric Johnson and his rocking chairs, but I could see how it makes sense.

I am on the more pleasantly plump side of life, but playing electric guitar I could see how actually feeling the vibration of instrument in my core could make things easier to feel. I have a bandmate who said since he started a more physically demanding job and lost a bunch of weight, he can feel his acoustic playing so much more and it inspires him to sing and perform better (on the nights he's not hammered, I think he has actually stepped it up a notch).

Thoughts?
r u made of wood?

Trending Topics