Resources for Low-Cost Fender and Gibson Style Hardware?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Drumnbum, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

I'm working on tweaking my "aging" techniques for hardware for Gibson and Fender style parts and I'm running out of my own spare hardware that I've randomly acquired from old guitars over the years.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any resources for finding low-cost parts to keep working out the details in my aging process? I know that ebay and craigslist can be useful, but I'm hoping to find somewhere I can order more than a single thing here and there.

Once I'm happy with my results, I'll be looking for better quality hardware, but as I'm still in the "prototyping" phase, I'm trying to keep the costs a bit lower.

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

Probably Guitarfetish would be a good source.

3. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

The basement of the NAMM show.
    Someone has to be buying that stuff and selling it online. I used to use Mighty Mite parts quite a bit.

4. TheRealRiggins

TheRealRiggins Member

as well as www.rockaudio.com, particularly the clearance items.

5. woodbury

woodbury Supporting Member

Check out http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/

I'm ordering a few things from them. You will have to pay the shipping fee though but I think the price is still better than most.

6. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

Note that if the original was nickel plated, you may want to source nickel plated test victims.

Chrome and nickel have completely different aging characteristics as well as processes to fake the aging.
    Nickel = easy, convincing.
    Chrome = tough, usually overdone.

good luck!

7. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Indeed. I'm actually working on various methods for Chrome, Nickel, and Gold-plated. I started with Chrome and have found a couple interesting ways of doing a mild , convincing aging. I've also got one prototype (control plate) that is overdone, yet still probably cool if someone were interested in such a thing.