Resources to help me learn chicken-pickin'?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by MGT, Aug 17, 2006.

1. MGT

MGT Member

Lately, I've been listening to Johnny A and finally heard Greg Koch (all I can say is WOW!!!!). They both use hybrid picking & chicken pickin' (I know there are tons of others who do as well, of course) and I'd love to learn how to do it. Anyone know where I can finding anything online (or an instructional DVD) that might help me out? I live in a pretty small town and can't find anyone who teaches it around here.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

2. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

Try Greg's "Guitar Gristle" DVD first of all. It's great and you can really see what he's doing. It doesn't seem like there are any shortcuts to getting good at chicken pickin, just lots of hard work and practice!

3. gennation

gennation Member

I have over 50 licks in my Advanced Pentatonics Tutorial (http://lessons.mikedodge.com). Audio, tabs, explanations, etc...

Read the ntroduction so you see where I get them from.

There's a number ideas in the sytle of Albert Lee, Steve Morse, and others.

I'll get you moving in the right direction.

4. MGT

MGT Member

Thanks for your suggestions! I've read a lot of your tutorials, gennation and learned quite a bit - I'll take another look.

I saw the Guitar Gristle DVD on Greg's web site - it's my next purchase!

5. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

6. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

Yeah I'm trying to learn it too. The basic technique is to mute the string with your middle finger behind the pick. Pick the note muted and then pluck the note and let it slap against the fretboard. I'm stuggling to get any speed but it's not that hard slowly.

7. scottlr

scottlr Member

I can't see how they do it on every single note. I has to be just a few key notes in a run, don't you think? I too want to get this style down. I am an old dog, itching for some new tricks, and I think this is one exciting style of playing. I don't like country pop much, but I LOVE redneck jazz!

8. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Johnny Hyland has a set of books with CDs on Chicken Pickin'. Also look at Jim Campilongo's web site, he offers lessons.

9. beePee

beePee Member

I got into electric guitar fingerpickin listening to Beck. I always wondering back then how he got that sound on the end of Scatterbrain.I tried it with my pick and middle but damnn....as soon as I ditched the pick though....:jo

i just seems natural to kill the notes which is the essence of chicken picken.I mainly use my thumb and middle.(seems the most natural).

here's what I do:

Play the thumb then "IMEDIATELY" (one motion) grab the string with your middle (or whatever you pluckin with!!)..but don't play it yet then....CLUCK!!!:dude ...of course I call it Rooster rakin'....:)

Now reverse pluck then thumb.

I practiced 2 note per string pentatonis like this until I could get different "pluck" patterens and articulations

My fav Jeff rip is to play the standard rock unison bend....
    Ex
    in E

Bend 2nd string 15th up whole step with thumb
    Play 1st string 12 with pluck,then thumb. then pluck (or any combination..

Once you start knuckleheadin around you start hearing how Beck gets that fast choked aticulation and how Jan Hammer (or was it the other way around??) was imitating him....all in all,, a lot of fun and very versatile technique.:RoCkIn

BP

10. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I would suggest picking up some old Merle Haggard and Buck Owens cd's.

11. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    The Doyle Dykes And scottie Anderson videos will give you lifetimes worth of chicken' pickin'