Resources to help with arranging?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by IanS, Feb 15, 2009.

1. IanS

IanS Member

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on good resources to learn arranging for the guitar.

The only things I know of are Howard Morgen's books:

Concepts: Arranging for fingerstyle guitar

Solo Guitar: Insights, Arranging & Jazz Standards

I have the 'Solo' book, and it is very insightful. (I cannot get as much out of 'Concepts', as it is in standard notation.)

Are there any other resources you've used with great ideas for arranging?

Thanks.

2. countandduke

countandduke Member

My local Sam Ash has a NICE big room full of books and what not. I seem to remember a book that talked about arranging over near the Aebersold section (jazz). Maybe try googling "arranging music" and see what you come up with. Nothing comes to mind as far as a title or author though sorry.

Good luck...

Chris

3. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

If you have Howards' 'Concepts' book, you don't need anything else!

YOu could fill things out with the Martin Taylor Method book or (for harmony) the Robert Conti chord melody books.

4. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I'll definitely start reading the Acoustic Guitar forum more often, since I just picked up my first decent (solid top steel string) acoustic.

I searched a bit for the authors of the arrangements used by Korean wonderkid Sungha Jung (http://www.youtube.com/user/jwcfree) and one of the authors is Pete Huttlinger. He has a few books and DVDs on solo guitar arrangement: http://www.petehuttlinger.com/online.cfm.

Sungha Jung's performance of "Superstition" probably came from the book The Peter Huttlinger Collection