Restore and keep or sell: Selmer Zodiac Twin croc

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by buchla300, Jan 17, 2008.

1. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Hi all

I have a tatty old Selmer Zodiac Twin 30. It works, but needs a full service and some rebuilding!
    So, what do I do:
    Sell it as they seem to be looked for, but obviously, condition means I don't know what to ask and it needs work..
    or repair and service and keep
    I need a decent amp for clean or slightly driven work
    It has one repaired Celestion G12 and another speaker that has no label (any ideas what it is?) Is the Celestion worth money even though it needs repair?

What would you do?? Sell and use the money for something like a nice Fender or invest money in getting it sorted.

Thx!
    David

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

tradorama (ebayer) wants $2895 for his, I'd say get it to good working order and hold on to it until the right person ($$$$) comes along.

MikeY

3. ROKY

ROKY Member

Oh, man .. that's potentially a very good-sounding amp .:eek:

Iwould keep it and get everything sorted, out .

Go here:
    http://www.plexipalace.com/plexiboard/index.php

in the Misc. British Amps area of that forum you can find a lot of info.,
    and knowledgeable people who can advise you.

If you have the original transformer set in that amp, you can fairly easily
    get whatever other bits you need to restore the circuit .

good luck with it !

4. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Thanks!
    I think I'm keeping!
    I'm in Belgium, so really need to find a decent tech here.
    The amp sounds great as it is, but clearly needs sorting fully. Speakers are pretty shot and everything in the back is grimey and loose!
    (any idea where to find and how much a matching Celestion might cost me?)
    Thanks for the link. I'll pop over there...
    David

5. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful amp

I'd get it up and running and thoroughly clean it without replacing parts that don't need replacing.

-Show us more

6. buchla300

buchla300 Member

With the back panels off...
    btw: I know it's a bit tired, but it only cost me the equivalent of $100 a few years ago
    :crazyguy

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Before Vox there was Selmer, you're nuts if you sell it.

Just make sure the tech you take it to appreciates it's value
    and keep everything as stock as possible.

8. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Yes, that's the thing. I need to find a great tech near me....

9. FFTT

FFTT Member

It's better to do nothing than to have it butchered by someone who doesn't know what he's doing.

Where are you located?

10. ROKY

ROKY Member

I wonder if Bjorn of Mad Professor fame could advise you on available
    techs or find time to look at the amp.

You should be able to make some Euro contacts at Plexi Palace, as there
    are guys posting there from Europe who have some nice vintage gear.

A few here also, actually ..

Hang in there, and you should get some solid leads, soon .:AOK

11. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Belgium!

12. buchla300

buchla300 Member

thx. I have joined up at the plexi palace...

13. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Isn't that one of Matte's favorite amps? Maybe he can point you in the right direction.

14. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I've worked on a few of these...I've also owned a blue/grey 1X15 selectortone automatic(which was really good sounding, BTW- think big, brit sounding tweed deluxe.)

These are worth money now. The el34s are run cathode biased, with an ultralinear output transformer. They use a 12ax7 input tube, then use an ef86 tube for each channel after the tone contol/pushbuttons, then that gets sent to the phase inverter(kinda like a matchless clubman).

As for the sound, great cleans and great broken cleans..think house of the rising sun. I personally dont like the overdriven as much. It can get kinda woofy sounding...keep in mind it has an ultralinear output stage with negative feedback, so that probably contributes to that. The were looking for clean sounds back then, and this one delivers in that department. I dont get the vox comparison- i'll take a good ac30 any day of the week. They are nothing alike, just a cool unique amp in their own way. Just my opinion.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for in an amp. Personally, I think that one is in great shape! Ive seen alot worse. The power transformer looks changed but it could be spot on for voltages so you may be able to leave it. I would change the speakers to any celestion types- I like ceramic magnet ones in these because they handle the bass better but thats your choice. Have a tech check the voltages and any cap leakage and I think you are set. Heres a schem in case your tech would need one: http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/selmer/schematic/zod3.html

If it were mine, i'd get it running properly with fresh speakers and a check up, and give it a workout- if I liked the tone, keep it...if not, you can always sell and you'll recoup all the money put in, and then some.

EDIT: the other speaker looks like an old goodmans. All those speakers are worth money.

15. buchla300

buchla300 Member

Redtoploader....... brilliant. Thanks

I have a laney head and a brunetti pre which are both nice and go into modern territories and a vibro champ, so I am hoping this is more a great clean/crunch amp. If it is, I'll be happy with it (I have a studio, so just need a few bases covered for recording)

:AOK

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I thought the left sided speaker looked like the early 15w Celestion Alnicos that were in the JTM45 412 cab? The one on the right looks more like a straight forward V30 or something modern. There should be speaker codes on the surrounds that'll nail down the manufacturer...

17. cameron

cameron Member

Why do you have to even say things like that?

I've been to Belgium. I find it hard to believe there are no amp techs to be found there.

There are some other Belgians on the TGP, someone must know a tech . . .

18. Bill

Bill Member

I had one of these amps for quite a few years but sold it a couple of years ago. I still have a bunch of Selmers. First off, this amp is not a clean sounding sounding amp, at all. It is about as far away from Fender clean territory as you can get in an old amp. It is on the other side of Marshall from Fender. If you put a 335 through it and use the bridge pickup you will enjoy the tone of Cream doing Crossroads the original version. ( Cream used Selmer amps on some of their stuff)However, it is very loose sounding on the low end. The amp really matches up well with a Tele. The cabinets are not that sturdy and don't really stand up to gigging that well. Great sounding amp for single note leads but it does not clean up very well at all.

19. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
  20. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I agree with you, I should probably clarify my description of 'clean'...definitely not Fender clean. I personally thought the two I worked on sounded much better semi dirty/clean than full on, the bass got too garbled. Humbuckers will definitely overdrive it quick. We got great cleans with single coils though, but not super loud.

The blue/grey amp I had was much dirtier than the zodiacs i tried.