Restore humbucker routes on Les Paul Deluxe to reinstall mini-hums?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Scooter, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Scooter

Scooter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Perhaps this is a far-fetched idea, but I'm going to throw it out there.

I have an early 70's Les Paul Deluxe that at one point had the mini-humbucker pickup routes enlarged to accommodate full-sized humbuckers. I realize that 70's Les Paul's aren't all that desirable to some, but the guitar has a lot of sentimental value to me.

I'm curious whether anyone knows of a luthier (northeast) who could restore the pickup routes to their original state so that the mini-hums could be reinstalled.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?
  2. vadsy

vadsy Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Sherwood Park/Houston
    what about just an oversized pickup ring, from humbucker to mini?

edit- google humbucker to mini-humbucker adapter pickup ring
    ChampReverb likes this.
  3. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Member

May 29, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    This could definitely be a cost that likely makes it prohibitive I would guess? Maybe not. I saw a Dan Erlewine vid doing this with a vintage telecaster not that long ago.
    Moby Dick likes this.
  4. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Metro Detroit Area
    It would be pretty expensive even if it didn't require refinishing, which it probably would. Vadsy's idea is a good one - get an adapter ring. You're not the first to need one. Even Amazon sells them.
  5. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Jan 16, 2009
    It's been done many times. There were a few that did it a while ago; fill, refinish etc. I had it done by a guy named Renaldo at Union City Music in NJ. I'm sure he's long gone by now thogh. Regarding any that currently do it, one that comes to mind is Lay's in Akron, OH. Try them. It's costly for sure but not prohibitively so. There are plenty of 70s Deluxes that aren't worth a sh$t but there are also many that are worth restoring, pancake bodies and all, especially if there's more than a dollar value attached.
    Scooter likes this.
  6. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Having had lots of routing done on my Strat back when it was my stage guitar, I had most all of them re-filled with wood, but can't remember who did it. I'd routed out the back of the guitar to put in my wireless transmitter, including a channel for the antenna, routed out a volume control recess and had the volume above the bridge and also routing for a Kahler tremolo. They cut and glued in pieces of wood to fill all the voids, including the long, skinny one on the back where the antenna had been.

It is absolutely worth searching out and finding someone to get your sentimental treasure back to the condition that you want it in and one suggestion I'd have would be to forget about guitar guys and just look for a good woodworking shop, possibly at one of the colleges where you might have a promising student interested in the challenge.

Please post some pics of what it looks like right now, and again if you end up getting it done.
    Scooter likes this.