Restoring a SF Deluxe Reverb 1967

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vgalo7, Jan 26, 2015.

1. vgalo7

vgalo7 Member

Hi there,

I recently got a SF Deluxe Reverb from 1967 I guess. All the transformers are dated 606-6, pots are from 65 and 66 the panel is what we call Blackline and of course it has the aluminium drip edge.

The thing is the grill cloth, faceplate and baffle are in bad condition and I am very tempted in changing all them, specially the baffle that is falling in pieces.

But what do you think? Would the amp lose its value because of the change of the grill cloth? What about the faceplate? I found in eBay a guy selling brand new aftermarket SF Blackline FP.

Any comment will be appreciated.

2. tele_player

tele_player Member

I would do it. It's completely reversible, just keep the old parts for if you ever sell.

Robert

3. Fishtale

Fishtale Supporting Member

Pics of the amp would really help.

4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

What does it mean that the baffle is falling to pieces? cracked? The holes for mounting do crumble from many removals. I would put brass "thread inserts" in it. You can epoxy them in and use new machine screws in stead of wood screws.
    If the Speaker studs are loose, you can put some 5 second glue in them and retighten.
    You might be able to find early silverface grill cloth off a bigger amp and re use it to repair the grill cloth. (I did on another early SF Fender!)
    The vertical black line faceplate is rare. I would keep it. The amp is more valuable original. Do you really care if it looks perfect or sounds perfect?

5. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

That grille cloth is really difficult to come by. It's not normal silverface stuff. There is teal threads in it. Not that it's a deal breaker, but know that going in. I also don't think the aluminum trim is repop either.

6. vgalo7

vgalo7 Member

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

7. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

If there isn't any structural damage to the baffle, I'd personally just make sure the electrolytic caps are newish.

8. vgalo7

vgalo7 Member

Thanks for the input guys. This amp canĀ“t sound bad, the Oxford speaker was careful removed, safely stored and replaced with a 1966 Jensen c12n that sounds great. What I want is to make it look as good as possible without loosing the vintage vibe and sacrificing value. So maybe I will be keeping the faceplate. What about the baffle wood?

9. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

I'd just clean and tighten it up.

10. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I would have a new cabinet made, box the old one and save it, as is, if you ever sell the amp.

11. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

I like this idea... In blonde with an oxblood grill cloth

12. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

^^^ That's a pretty good idea. Personally I would do as others have mentioned. Make sure the caps are good, give it a good cleaning and play it as is.

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Another one here that thinks this is a good idea assuming that you have the $$ to make this happen.

14. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Congrats on the amp. Blue caps and a 66 Jensen, original blackface transformers - great find. I have some blackface Fenders, and none of your pictures looks too bad to me. The amp just has alot of character. A checkup by a good tech and you are good to go.

15. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

FYI, from the look of the wires, it seems you have a newer reverb transformer.

16. vgalo7

vgalo7 Member

Yes, the reverb driver tranny is from a reissue. The original just stopped working one day. Looking for some one to take a look to the old one and get it repaired.