Restringing a Bigsby Tele

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jpervin, Feb 27, 2006.

1. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I have a '50s Tele RI with a Bigsby that I just finished installing new pickups and a 4-way Tele switch in last night. Didn't have enough time to restring it, but just before I quit for the night I tried putting the 1st string on and didn't have much success, as the string loop kept coming off of the pin of the Bigsby. This guitar is brand new and has never been restrung...until now.

So what's the best way to go about restringing a Tele with a Bigsby?

Here's a couple of pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

Until you get good at it use a capo after you pull it tight. Works like a charm,
    Evan

3. jpervin

Thanks, Evan! I'll try that.

4. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

I'm really good at it and some guitars just need the capo anyway, as long as the string is on its all good. keep twanging!
    Evan

5. jpervin

So you put the string loop on the post, loop it around the bar, under the 2nd bar, over the bridge, pull tight and capo before attching the other end of the string to the tuner? Do that for each string?

6. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

I slip it under the hold down bar than over the roller bar and onto the pin, then I pull it tight and capo it at the 5th fret, then I can let it go and string it normally at the headstock. You have to do this with each string. Remember the Bigsby is a very Wil-e- coyote acme product kind of mechanism sometimes 50's technology needs to be over thought!
    Hope this helps,
    Evan

7. 6789

6789 Member

First give the string a little bend, then hook it on the bigsby's pin then wedge an angled pink eraser under it to hold it in place while you tighten the string around the tuner.

8. jpervin

Cool!

Thanks, Evan! :AOK

9. jpervin

I'll try this, as the capo thing didn't work too well for me. :jo

Also, on a Bigsby-equipped guitar...do you cut your excess string ends before wrapping them around the tuner peg? I usually do this on a standard guitar, but I did this on the Bigsby Tele and the strings ended up too short when I pulled the Bigsby lever forward. :mad: I'm thinking I'd better not cut any part of the strings for this one.