1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Restringing using bottom 6 strings (of a 7-string set) on a standard 6 string? Possible issues?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DrakeSequation, Jan 5, 2018.

1. DrakeSequation

DrakeSequation Member

Thinking of restringing one of my sixers with a set a 7-strings less the high E (B to B). No nut issues as the guitar has a locking nut. Going to pick a 7-string set that has the same E to E tension. Any reason I should not do this? Any issues/pitfalls I should be aware of? I know I will need to re-intonate and possibly adjust the truss, both of which I can handle.

2. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

Nope. I did this years ago on an import Peavey guitar to create a "baritone" for recording. I hardly ever use it but its fine

3. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

Sounds like it would be nice....

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

totally doable, just look at the sizes on the string pack. if 5 of the 6 strings are the same size and the same note but just moved up a slot then you're really only talking about the tension difference between a hi E and a low B, which are not wildly different. (OK if you want your chord shapes to be the same then the 2nd string G needs to be dropped to F#.)

all the saddles will need to be moved back a pinch except for the 3rd string which will need to move up past the 2nd string because it's now a wound instead of plain string.

if the intonation is good now with regular strings then you can crib off the existing placements before you get the strings on (since intonating a floyd is such a PITA); nudge the 1st (hi E) saddle back to where the B now sits, move the B back to where the G now sits, move the G up to where the D sits, move the D saddle back to the A position, etc.

the last (now low B) saddle will live that much further back from the 5th string saddle.

DrakeSequation likes this.
  5. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

^ What he said. Also, there's no reason to pillage a 7-string set. Just buy a 6-string set in a heavy guage. I currently have a 25.5" scale guitar with .012s tuned to C Standard, and B would be no problem.

6. kimock

kimock Member

Might have to deal with the nut slots, but try it and see what you get.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

most floyd nuts seem to be OK with anything up to like a .060 on the lower strings.

8. DrakeSequation

DrakeSequation Member

You seem practiced and knowledgeable about string things and I appreciate any head start I can get. I am doing two gauge switches. Both are starting with 9-42's. One is going B to B (the origin of this post) using 13-59's. The other I just want more tension so going to a 10-46 set. Where should I pre-move my saddles?