RESULTS !! => 3 Quick Clips Axe Fx 3 12.03 -vs- Helix Floor 2.80 * Fixed & Updated Take 2 *

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by helixuser1995, Feb 11, 2020.

1. adamquek

adamquek Member

Never owned an Axe FX 3, but I had the AFX 2 for awhile and I loved it. It did, to my ears, sound just that little bit more complex and chewy than Helix.

But.

Helix sounds great to me to, and I can pretty much only hear the difference when I'm scrutinizing soloed tracks. In a mix, when I'm caught up playing, and live, the difference is negligible to me. And with Helix Native, I have one platform for EVERYTHING (jamming, gigging, recording, practicing), and not having to re-amp is priceless. For all those reasons, Helix is the best of all worlds for me at the moment. If there was a Fractal VST, I'd be all over that like white on rice, but I think Line 6 is the first and only company to have hit it out of the park on that front. I look forward to more companies doing that though... competition is always good for the consumer.

2. LaXu

LaXu Member

I had an Axe-Fx 2 for years and was able to dial my Helix 99% the same to my favorite patches when using the same IRs. I agree that the Fractal sounds a bit fuller, which is a similar thing I detected in these clips. The better hardware user interface of the Helix won for me.

3. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Listened again last night and still really couldn't tell too much.

My only guess is that Y is Helix because you had heavy cuts and a compressor at the end of the chain like Jason Sadites would do.

Listening one more time on my Airpods, the first amp sounds a tiny bit warmer so I prefer that in the first set. In the second set I almost like the brighter second amp as it had more of a punk rock feel. In the third I like the first a bit more as it had more balls.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  4. Billinder33

Billinder33 Member

I only listened through my laptop speakers and don't have any experience with FAS, but the gain structure in X sounded the most 'Helixy' to me.

I'm ready to be shown up.... OP, time to release the Kraken.

5. helixuser1995

helixuser1995 Member

RESULTS

Modeller X = all Axe FX 3
    Modeller Y = all Helix Floor

Clip 1:- Axe FX 3 Morgan AC20 -vs- Helix Litigator => same IR for both with zero lo or hi cuts
    Clip 2:- Axe FX 3 AC 30 " HOT " -vs- Helix Litigator => same IR for both with zero lo or hi cuts
    Clip 3:- Axe FX 3 1959 SLP -vs- Helix Bright Plexi => same IR for both with zero lo or hi cuts

Arnold Z.

6. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

Very cool. Like I said earlier - I liked both - both sounded great. Nice demos. I liked the three different clips and showing them back to back.

I only really noticed the difference right when I switched from one modeler to the other. Once it had played for a while, I lost the difference in my head.

Anyway - nice job. Fun post.

7. Ni6htWalker

Ni6htWalker Member

nope didnt sound identical,X have more low end and Y sound more thin.

8. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Called Y as the Helix based on the crackling decay on the first one.

9. djd100

djd100 Member

This test was too limited in scope to prove anything aside that the IR is a HUGE percentage of the tone, as is the real cab etc.

10. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

Cool but your blue text is almost unreadable for those of us who use dark mode on the site (the little light bulb icon in the upper right).

11. mehegama

mehegama Member

To me, through my airpods it sounded identical with some differences here and there, to the point where in practice you cannot tell the difference. In a mix there is absolutely no way to tell them apart, but it is a matter of dialing them. With a bit of eq one can tone match them completely, as the core tone is there for both. There is a great vid in yt where a guy tone matches with eq an original pod to a real dual rec and sounds almost identical

12. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

With more neutral headphones(I use Sennheiser HD600's), the differences weren't night and day but they weren't necessarily subtle either, in my opinion.

13. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Modeler X sounded a lot duller a lifeless compared to Modeler Y. Listening through Presonus Eris 5’s.