Results of My Weeks With Logic

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by LSchefman, Dec 2, 2005.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

To make a long story short, when I am done with my current project (a series of ads for a tire company), I am going to switch from Digital Performer, my longtime digital audio sequencer of choice, to Logic Pro.*

For a couple of weeks I fooled around with the free download of Logic Express, as a test. I wanted to test out my reaction to Logic's basic interface, which Express shares in most ways.

Originally, the whole reason was to see if it's more CPU-efficient. And it is, by a small margin. But I grew to like the interface and the included soft synths.

At first I felt that Logic was too Windows-like in use. But as I discovered more features, I began to see that it isn't. It's a different kind of Mac program than DP, but it is still Mac-like.

Logic has some things that don't make sense in its interface; even setting the click choices require interacting with a couple of different menus, and of course, there's the whole multiple takes issue, but there are things it does well.

I can't put my finger on it, because DP is very cool and powerful, but there is something about Logic that I grew to enjoy. Maybe it's just the novelty of using something different after 18 years with MOTU's software.

Having tried Logic back in the eMagic days, and not liking it at all, I think Apple's changes to the program were much-needed, and really made it a better professional tool.

PS- Orren, when I buy it I'm also going to buy one of your books. Which one do you recommend for an experienced DP user?

*I am going to keep DP around, however, for old projects and for shared projects with my son. DP is the digital audio sequencing program in current use at his university.

2. juniorspecial

juniorspecial Member

I'm sure you won't go wrong.

Logic has a good reputation.

:dude

3. Orren

Orren Member

You know, I must be blind, because I missed this post. I'd recommend Logic Pro 7 Power--and thanks! :)

Orren

4. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I've been trying to figure out which software to go with at home .. .at work we use Protools. I tried Logic . . .and I tried to like it, but in the end I had to go with what was more familiar (for better or worse) . . I have an M-Box coming this week. Too many talented people use Logic to be wrong though.

5. juniorspecial

juniorspecial Member

I got an M-Box a couple of years ago. I really love it. But, I got intrigued with the little Reason demo program that came with it, and now I'm a Reason Freak!

I love that even more!

:dude

6. cranqued

cranqued Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, there's one I need to figure out. Or maybe that's not possible, since it's an "issue?" Hmm, where's that Logic manual?

I didn't realize Orren M. posted here. Cool. I haven't picked up LP7 Power yet, but the last edition has saved me on more than one occasion. :AOK

7. cranqued

Here's something I found over on the Logic Users Group re: multiple takes:

The discussion starts here (and the quote above was from the first responsee): http://groups.yahoo.com/group/logic-users/message/151365

Anyone else using this technique, or found something better?

8. cranqued

Thanks, splatt. This gives me a few new things to try out. (Probably just in time for Apple to come along and change the interface. Which would really be OK w/me.)

9. Orren

Orren Member

Aww, thanks for the compliment! I'm glad I can help! :)

Actually, the interface changed pretty seriously between Logic 6 and Logic 7, so my guess is that they're going to sit with what they have now for a while. I hope they can fit in some interface tweaks here and there (for example, the Hyper Editor, if they revamped it, could actually be a very hip and modern drum editor...as it is now, it looks like a 1980s Atari holdover editor with a new paint job).

And of course I'd love a feature like multiple takes/playlists--but to me, the application that really got it right is SX/Nuendo; you can not only record lots of takes on the same track, but you can view them all at once on the editor, giving you the best of both worlds: the slick playlist/multiple takes of PT/DP and the "all on the screen at once" feature of cycle record creates new track in Logic.

Orren