1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Resurrecting an Am Dlx strat - replacement neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Paul Conway, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Well, my luthier has confirmed that the truss rod in my old Am Dlx Fender strat is banging around loose in the neck. Not a lot to be done for it, apparently. So, since I can't sell this guitar on in good conscience, have decided to make it my 'project' guitar over the next few months.

Two questions for you guys:

• Who would you recommend for a replacement neck?
    • Is the Callaham bridge block worth investing in?
    cheers

2. rooster

rooster Member

Before you invest in a block, you'd be amazed at how much the neck contributes to the overall sound of the guitar. If you're looking for recommendations, I'd say USACG (USA custom guitars). They make great stuff. Not fancy, but really nice wood, and really nice workmanship.

rooster.

3. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

How is it put in? If its under the board.
    I'd try the project guitar tutorial and steam the fretboard off and replace the rod. Worst you could do is ruin a ruined neck?

4. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Thanks - had forgotten about USACG.

Re: steaming off fretboard - perhaps a bit beyond my abilities/resources at this point......but thanks for the suggestion.

5. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

..and I see USACG do a 'u' shaped neck. Tremendous!

Two other questions for ye knowledgable few:

1) Does the headstock shape affect the sound much? Quite like the USACG 'tele' shape - not so keen on the 'strat'

2) If you're not fussed about nitro, is t relatively easy to finish a neck?

6. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

A neck is easy enough to finish - there's a great tutorial at ReRanch.com. Your body has the rounded heel? Make sure to tell them that just in case - better to be safe than stupid I always say. Good luck with the rehab -

7. onetubetone

onetubetone Member

I replaced the neck on my AmDel strat with a USACG neck. Made a big difference in playability and tone, highly recommended.

8. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

You've sold me. As soon as I have the cash together..bam. What size/shape/radius etc did you go for? Did you also change pups?

9. onetubetone

onetubetone Member

Haha yeah, the only thing that's original about my AmDel Fat Strat is the body. USACG US-2 neck with "The '54" countour, 7.25 to 9.5 compound radius, 6230 frets, brazilian rw on maple. I now use 2 Kinman single coils and a Suhr SSV humbucker, wired with 2 volume pots (one for single coils and one for the humbucker) and a master tone. I'm finally happy with this beast.

10. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

What do you find the Brazilian rosewood gives over Indian?

Also - as an aside - what do you think of the SSV?

11. onetubetone

onetubetone Member

It's hard to say what the Brazilian itself contributed, being that I replaced an entire neck at once... but it does have a bit of a tighter grain than indian, and my feeling is it lends a bit of a brighter snap to the tone, where as indian is a bit more rounded. Plus, it looks awesome.

I just put in the SSV actually, it replaced a WCR Goodwood. The Goodwood was an excellent pickup with a lot of character, but it actually doesn't quite fit in these strat's cavity, so I couldn't lower it as far away from the strings as I usually like. That in combination with the fact that its a rather hot pickup made it much louder than the Kinmans, so I had to replace it.

The SSV is actually what I would consider the perfect strat replacement humbucker. It manages to be warm and full without being overly hot, so it blends very nicely with single coils. Plus it has an excellent tone with great string separation. I really can't say a bad thing about it.

12. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

13. onetubetone

onetubetone Member

This is with the Goodwood, not the Suhr.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Nice! Looks like an early one? Similar vintage to my 1998, perchance? I've got the translucent burgundy, which may or may not be ash.

15. onetubetone

onetubetone Member

Mine's Alder, 2000 I believe.