Retail sales of new guitars - how goes it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jazzandmore, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

GC, Musicians Friend, Sam Ash, Sweetwater, etc are constantly sending out catalogs full of guitars. That's a lot of guitars sitting in stores and warehouses.

Is the retail sales of new guitars keeping up with the production from Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, etc? At the end of a year, what % of the new guitars they have bought have they sold to individual customers?

Have always wondered about this because on rare occasions when I've gone to GC for strings, few customers are playing guitars, much less buying, even at Xmas time.

2. Mandrax

Mandrax Member

The guys that I talk to in UK stores say that business is booming. I have no idea on the figures you speak of , but I've had it from sales staff from different companies, guitars are very popular.

3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

People are buying guitars all the time from catalog retailers, ebay, and GC. Not so much from local brick and mortar stores.

4. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Actually Electric guitar sales are at historic lows right now in the US.. Acoustic guitars are still doing well, but electrics are really really soft right now. This is part of GCs problem right now.

5. dgallina

dgallina Member

Is there data to back that up?

Historic lows suggest that we'd be seeing better sale prices and discounts this year. We aren't.

6. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Yeah I imagine you have a better view of it than most of us because you are in the industry.

It just seems to me the idea of pumping out an increasing number of guitars and versions is not going to be matched by sales in today's musical environment. The musical landscape is highly voice driven and you don't see the same amount of guitar led bands holding sway on the radio these days. Maybe it still does in country music???

Seems to me there may well be fewer guitar players in the coming generations due to the current trend in music. The guitar was King for a long time though.

7. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

http://www.musictrades.com/

Even though I am not in the industry, I subscribe...Music Trades tracks this (and lots of other sales data). Overall guitar sales in 2014 were the best in the last 10 years or so...I already tossed my issue with the breakdown by type of guitar so I can't speak to electrics in particular.

8. joec63

joec63 Supporting Member

Overall music sales of 7 Billion. Impressive!

Fretted instruments and related products, the single biggest product category, notched a 7.3% gain in retail value.