Rethinking amps - in a practical way....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nsriley, Jan 3, 2006.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

Here I go again in an endless cycle it seems. The new year comes in and I rethink logically about many things. One is all my gear. Been in a contant downsizing routine the last 6 months trying to pay off debts, and be logical and practical about gear. I mainly play at home only, in a home made recording room. One of my main amps is a Bray Modded Marshall 1959SLP reissue head and a Marshall 4x12 cabinet. Used with an attenuator. It sounds fabulous....but there is this voice in my head going 'Why the hell do you have a 100 watt half stack for home use?'! And it's been eatting at me....since I could use the cash and have a Blackface/Plexi combo that sounds great. Why do I get myself in these situations! LOL! Sorry just had to vent a little and think out loud!

-Peace
    -Nate

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>It sounds fabulous....but there is this voice in my head going 'Why the hell do you have a 100 watt half stack for home use?'!<<

Because, as you said, it sounds fabulous. ;)

Seriously, by the time you sell it off, and buy something to replace it, how much further ahead would you be, and would you still be happy with your sound?

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have a 100 watt Guytron amp which is way more then I'll ever need but guess what, it's the best amp I've yet to own so at this point what difference does it really make? If a 100 watt amp works for you who cares, at least you know you like it. I'd rather have this dilema then trying to start all over again, anyday of the week. If you go and buy a small amp then you'll be pissed when your playing out because your amp doesn't have enough balls, I'd rather have large balls then little ones.;)

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I also have a 120 watt amp, that I gig/play out, but realistically, I could get by with ALOT less wattage.

Don't sell what you like because you THINK you need something smaller.

5. Profklamen

Profklamen Supporting Member

My bedroom amp is a 1972, 100 watt superlead Marshall with a Roccaforte master volume. Why? Because it sounds better at low volumes than any other amp I've heard. It sounds great at high volumes too. Looks killer and gives a thrill every time I play it.

There are a lot of factors that determine our satisfaction with amps, some are not related to sound. Don't worry about overkill if you like it.

6. redjet55

redjet55 Member

I agree with the others...

lets say you could turn the bray and the 4-12 for say $1200 (i have no idea if that's even high or low)

what can you get that will make you happy for say half of that or $600.

if you could live with that wouldn't you already be doing that with the combo?

even if you tell yourself you'll be fine with the combo and sell off the 1/2 stack, you're gonna have $1200 for bill etc.

in 6 months you'll start gassing for that big sound and now you gotta come up with the $1200 + for a replacement outfit....

now if you really need to move the stuff for the $$ well hell you gotts do what you gotta do but if it's strickly a self-imposed guilt trip.....

well you're gonna get over that sooner than you think and then the gas will cycle all over again.....

some guys need to change gear like socks.... well hell so what..... it's just a hobby, it's not hurting anything unless it's affecting the other parts of your life.

I say keep it untill the gas says you need something different, then you at least have something to move/trade to get it. :)

7. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

Dave does nice work on 50 watt heads too....but the difference isn't necessarily much volume..so 100 watts doesn't mean that much..and his master works well (in fact do you have his master and still use an attenuator?)...and some believe 4 power tubes gives more harmonic complexity than 2....some say that's only if the 4 power tubes are not exactly matched..."some say pickles taste better than cucumbers..."

He intrigues me with his suggestion of his Bray Rework I on a 50 watt head with 6L6 tubes...sounds like a killer blues/rock machine.

8. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks for your thoughts. You all have great points, which I can identify with as well. I wanna keep it, because it kicksass. I am actually going to call my bank tomorrow and see if I can refinance my home equity loan or add to my current one, it's the CC interest rates and these new CC rules and regs that are killing me, and I have great credit too!

-Peace
    -Nate

9. nsriley

nsriley Member

Yes the head is killer, which is why I want to keep it so bad, LOL! I use the master volume with the attenuator to get that sweet power tube distortion. I keep the master at about 8 and the channel vols at about 8, and I attenuate with the hot plate a lot and it still sounds killer! There isn't much in my head that can get that 4 EL34 harmonic complexity like a SLP can. It's does Blues right up through early VH brown sounds. :cool:

-Peace
    -Nate

10. redjet55

redjet55 Member

well if it's cc debt... you gotta get that under control so I feel your pain.

cc are evil when the balance carries over for any length of time so if you gotta sell off the bray and the 4-12 well so be it, that's more extenuating that that little voice ;)

but i know you bro, you'll be back.... but doing without the cc debt will make that little voice way smaller and in the end as procos always says "I can get another down the line" and he's the gas master!

11. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

If it's painful gear choices to get the best of cc debt, so be it. Unpleasant, but necessary. It's odd though. Sometimes shoving stuff out the door is the best way to find new stuff you might otherwise never have tried. Happened to me this year. Started selling guitars to pay debts, which led me to encounter some amazing amps I'd never even heard of. Now I have less debt, but more amps. Go figure. Somehow, it all evens out.

12. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Hey! :eek:

13. redjet55

redjet55 Member

14. nsriley

nsriley Member

Heya CC! :jo :p lol!

-Peace
    -Nate

15. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

For some reason practicality has never entered my decision making process when it comes to guitar and amps.

16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

+1. I buy the gear & tone tools I need to get the tone I want...period. Alot of people want a BMW, Mercedes, or Hummer to go from point A to point B. I've been through that phase, too (see ya 635 CSI "shop queen"!) and now I'm happy with a Ford Explorer that's six years old. Hell, it isn't even mine, it's my wife's vehicle!

However, the tone you produce for yourself, others or for your enjoyment is far more personal than transportation, right?

17. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Well bro, you've got gear I'd love to have. I've got CC debt myself and just haven't bought any new gear in a long time. Just make the best decision for you. If selling it is going to cause you regrets, then don't sell it. Easy decision. I only sell stuff I won't regret or miss.

18. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks SS. I'm seeing what options I have.....would hate to sell it....but being financially stable is more important. Still figuring this out and sitting on the fence.

-Peace
    -Nate