Retro King vs. Mojave Coyote or Suhr Badger

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
So I have been interested in 18watt Marshall types and the Mojave Coyote and Retro King 18 are on my short list. These aren't new amps, so I'm not sure how much attention this will gather, but let's give it a go.

The RK gets a lot of love and clips sound really good. The mojave gets some love too and the clips I have heard are pretty nice. I love el84's and the 18watt marshall types seem to have a mix of vox and marshall in both the clean and driven tones (which I like a lot as I like me a good vox tone!). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the two and wanted to provide some insight? I fooled around with a badger tonight (18 and 35) and thought it was a pretty nice amp. The cleans lacked a little preciseness and bounce, and the drive was a touch loose for my liking, but I liked it on a whole - and the extra headroom of the 35 might be a variable to consider as well. If someone could provide comparisons to it it would help.
Thanks!

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Thought I have not owned one, I played through a couple RKs. Nice amp.

Also - don't overlook a new/current model TopHat Club Royale. It's a killer amp that perfectly straddles 18w Marshall and Vox territory. I have one that is running all old glass and it is literally dead quiet at idle, regardless of volume.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
Thought I have not owned one, I played through a couple RKs. Nice amp.

Also - don't overlook a new/current model TopHat Club Royale. It's a killer amp that perfectly straddles 18w Marshall and Vox territory. I have one that is running all old glass and it is literally dead quiet at idle, regardless of volume.

Definitely not overlooking Top Hat, they are a major player in this realm. Is the TH 50% Vox and 50% Marshall tone wise? I imagine the RK and Mojave to be more 35% Vox and 65% Marshall.

MHG

I owned a Coyote and absolutely loved it. It really has its own thing going on though. I wouldn't buy it if you're looking specifically for traditional 18w Marshall tones. Amazing amp though! I also had the Sidewinder, which was a bit more versatile in its voicing, and sounded really amazing. It knocked my UG30 out of the stable! I also had the Plexi 45, which was also very nice. Just really great amps, with their own "Mojave" thing going on.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
I owned a Coyote and absolutely loved it. It really has its own thing going on though. I wouldn't buy it if you're looking specifically for traditional 18w Marshall tones. Amazing amp though! I also had the Sidewinder, which was a bit more versatile in its voicing, and sounded really amazing. It knocked my UG30 out of the stable! I also had the Plexi 45, which was also very nice. Just really great amps, with their own "Mojave" thing going on.

Good to know! Don't need spot on 18w tone, but marshall mixed with vox in a special way interests me a lot. How would you describe the coyote and the sidewinder for that matter? I see you have a Magic Amps Crossroads. Did that win out for you over the Mojavi?

And, not to derail my own thread, but, how are liking you Sinewave? There is a sterling type sinewave in the emporium that seems interesting.

MHG

Good to know! Don't need spot on 18w tone, but marshall mixed with vox in a special way interests me a lot. How would you describe the coyote and the sidewinder for that matter?

And, not to derail my own thread, but, how are liking you Sinewave? There is a sterling type sinewave in the emporium that seems interesting.

It's been a while since I've had them, but the Coyote has kind of a thick tone and feel. It doesn't have the depth, or clarity, that comes with the headroom of the Sidewinder. The Coyote is also smoother, and doesn't have the chime of the Sidewinder. The Sidewinder is more Vox than the Coyote.

The Cynergy is an amazing amp! I'm currently in the process of selling it, due to the fact that I'm being pulled towards more vintage inspired amps. But if you're looking for the best Classic Reverb, and Schofield Sig in one box, it just doesn't get any better.

Pelagic

Silver Supporting Member
Is the badger PCB or HW?

The Badger is PCB, but most would not consider it a disadvantage on this amp. Suhr's implementation is along the lines of overbuilt, thick, ready for a fighter jet as opposed to flimsy, cost cutting types often seen in mass produced amps.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
The Badger is PCB, but most would not consider it a disadvantage on this amp. Suhr's implementation is along the lines of overbuilt, thick, ready for a fighter jet as opposed to flimsy, cost cutting types often seen in mass produced amps.

Thanks Pelagic. Would anyone be able to compare the Retro King 18 or the Mojave Coyote to the Suhr Badger (a similar amp I have experience with)?

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Definitely not overlooking Top Hat, they are a major player in this realm. Is the TH 50% Vox and 50% Marshall tone wise? I imagine the RK and Mojave to be more 35% Vox and 65% Marshall.

It depends on the era of Club Royale you are talking about (I've owned 7 of them and currently have the most recent build in a 2x12). The current era is just a killer 18-20w amp. I'd say probably about 55% Vox and 45% Marshall. Speakers make a HUGE difference in this amp.

Here you go, with my pre-lawsuit Lentz 2TSB Strat w/1-piece ash body:

MHG

Good to know! Don't need spot on 18w tone, but marshall mixed with vox in a special way interests me a lot. How would you describe the coyote and the sidewinder for that matter? I see you have a Magic Amps Crossroads. Did that win out for you over the Mojavi?

Yeah, the Crossroads is my current favorite Vox style amp. Very different amp from the Mojave amps though. One not better than the other. It just comes down to personal preference.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
It depends on the era of Club Royale you are talking about (I've owned 7 of them and currently have the most recent build in a 2x12). The current era is just a killer 18-20w amp. I'd say probably about 55% Vox and 45% Marshall. Speakers make a HUGE difference in this amp.
Yeah, the Crossroads is my current favorite Vox style amp. Very different amp from the Mojave amps though. One not better than the other. It just comes down to personal preference.

Thanks fellas. I have a JMJ-30 and don't want to cover too much of the same ground. Want some Vox flavor, but with marshall being the more identifiable tone.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Thanks fellas. I have a JMJ-30 and don't want to cover too much of the same ground. Want some Vox flavor, but with marshall being the more identifiable tone.

Older Club Royales with smaller output transformers have much more of a Marshall flavor.

Summa

I still have my Retro King 18 and have no plans on letting it go. It's perfect for home, great for small clubs, and kills for jam sessions. It's even held its own for a couple outdoor gigs. Chuck stands by his work which is impeccable.

Good luck in your search.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
My Shadow amps MK40 is a mix of AC30 and Plexi tones.
I listened to a couple of clips of the shadow. Nice amp (and who doesn't like Carl Verheyen)! To me it is more in the Vox camp though. I imagine, being a 40watt amp, that it has bigger transformers than most 18watt marshall types, which may be a bit of a departure.
If I was in the market for an 18W Marshall style amp, this one would definitely be on my short list:

Carol-Ann 18W
Looks like a real cool amp and the bit about the grill cloth has me thinking, but it looks as though only 5 will be made... Would definitely have to hear some clips, but couldn't find any.
I still have my Retro King 18 and have no plans on letting it go. It's perfect for home, great for small clubs, and kills for jam sessions. It's even held its own for a couple outdoor gigs. Chuck stands by his work which is impeccable.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks for the input Summa. Would you mind expanding on its tonal characteristics?

I'm looking for some clank or hardness in the lows that still have some bounce (when clean). Also, some clear yet bell like highs. I find a lot of vox styles get a little sharp or zingy when played clean. Does that often appear in 18watt marshall type amps? When pushed, well maybe voxish, but smoother. The badger does a decent job with the grit, but it may be a touch too sloppy for me.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite clip of the Retro King, but I wonder how much youtube compression has to do with it...

Last edited:

MHG

Far from a straight up Vox style amp. A great balance of old school Vox and Marshall tones, with tons of vintage character.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom