• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Retro-Sonic Analog Delay

markom89

I just ordered one of these after hearing it today briefly and just wanted to know what you guys think of them after having owned one for a while...

Are they worth the price?

How do they compare to other analog delays out there?

Tell me whatever you want about it.

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
I have two, an early model and the current slightly longer delay time model. They're terrific. They replaced a DM-2.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I have the 800ms one. It's my second analog delay. First was a Maxon AD999, very good, but not tonally in the same league as the retro sonic, at least to my ears. This pedal is good enough that it forced my longtime favorite (H&K Replex) off the board, also good enough that I enjoy hearing it just as much as my Roland RE-201, which is really saying something.

CWFurst

I'm still on the fence with mine. I just got it a couple of days ago. Haven't taken it out live which ususally determines if I'll keep it or not.

Best delay I've ever had. Got rid of my DL4, DM2, giga delay, Headrush, after using this on everything I've been recording. Not really using my 301 either as a result.
Great pedal, I'm going to invest in the 750ms version.

markom89

Is the 800ms version more than the 600ms one? I didn't know there was an option.

CWFurst, why are you on the fence with it? Are you not liking something about it?

CWFurst

I should add clarification to my previous post. I really only dislike one thing about the RS Delay. Like some of the other delays that hit 600ms and beyond it has a high pitched metalic ring at longer delay settings. I haven't yet figured out why it's a problem with me but so far it is. This is why I really like the AD-999. Super long delay settings with none of that metalic ringing on the long repeats.

CWFurst

Is the 800ms version more than the 600ms one? I didn't know there was an option.

CWFurst, why are you on the fence with it? Are you not liking something about it?
There is no price difference between the 600 and 750ms versions. I should also add that the quality of Retro-Sonic's pedals is absolutely fantastic. I'll try to get a gut shot up later this evening.

markom89

Oh no! I know what you're talking about with that high pitched thing and it drives me nuts... my AD-80's do that and while I *hate* that one thing, they're way too cool to not use 'cause of that. I wonder if there's some sort of mod to get it fixed.

DavidH

I should add clarification to my previous post. I really only dislike one thing about the RS Delay. Like some of the other delays that hit 600ms and beyond it has a high pitched metalic ring at longer delay settings. I haven't yet figured out why it's a problem with me but so far it is. This is why I really like the AD-999. Super long delay settings with none of that metalic ringing on the long repeats.
Mine has exactly the same artifact to the distortion at long delay settings, i've been fiddling with the trimmers (for bloody hours) trying to dial it out without shortening the max delay time too much. You can tweak the sound of the 'ring' by playing with the right hand output and bias trimmers (talking micro adjustments here- they have very obvious positions they should be for lowest distortion, you don't need a scope to set them, it can easily be done by ear) but basically it's best where they're set originally, for lowest distortion. You can however remove that sound if you shorten the max delay time a 100ms or so. i've ended up with mine back where it started, that ring moddy high pitched ring artifact to the distortion can sound pretty cool for certain things.

I should say that i still think it sounds incredible, at medium length delay settings that artifact isn't there and it's one hell of a great sounding analog delay. even at the longest settings it still sounds great, but sometimes that sound can get on my nerves.

I really dig mine thus far, one thing that deserves mentioning is that it's extremely 'playable'.

DavidH

Marko, if you've ordered a new one it'll be the newer 800ms (actually more like 750 according to Tim). The first 200 or so units were 600ms and had 'analog delay' written in red, the new ones have it written in blue.

LowWatt

Mine has exactly the same artifact to the distortion at long delay settings, i've been fiddling with the trimmers (for bloody hours) trying to dial it out without shortening the max delay time too much. You can tweak the sound of the 'ring' by playing with the right hand output and bias trimmers (talking micro adjustments here- they have very obvious positions they should be for lowest distortion, you don't need a scope to set them, it can easily be done by ear) but basically it's best where they're set originally, for lowest distortion. You can however remove that sound if you shorten the max delay time a 100ms or so. i've ended up with mine back where it started, that ring moddy high pitched ring artifact to the distortion can sound pretty cool for certain things.

I should say that i still think it sounds incredible, at medium length delay settings that artifact isn't there and it's one hell of a great sounding analog delay. even at the longest settings it still sounds great, but sometimes that sound can get on my nerves.

I really dig mine thus far, one thing that deserves mentioning is that it's extremely 'playable'.
I think I may be the only guy who LOVES that metallic ring and needs it as part of his tone. Not too much need to worry about, I'm sure it can be tweaked out, but it's only really there at the longest delay time.

The tone of the RS delay is phenomenal, but there are many great sounding analog delays out there. The two things that make it special to me are the tone control and the Long/short switch. You can get some amazing textures going by rhythmically tapping the short/long switch that you really can't get with any other pedal.

The tone control opens up a wealth of new over the top delay tones too. Particularly useful for guys like me who put their analog delay early in their chain. It's a godsend for dream pop/shoegaze type sounds.

Last edited:

DavidH

I think I may be the only guy who LOVES that metallic ring and needs it as part of his tone. Not too much need to worry about, I'm sure it can be tweaked out, but it's only really there at the longest delay time.

The tone of the RS delay is phenomenal, but there are many great sounding analog delays out there. The two things that make it special to me are the tone control and the Long/short switch. You can get some amazing textures going by rhythmically tapping the short/long switch that you really can't get with any other pedal.

The tone control opens up a wealth of newovertop delay tones too. Particularly useful for guys like me who put their analog delay early in their chain. It's a godsend for dream pop/shoegaze type sounds.
I agree, the tone control is great, and it's a superb ambient delay, i've only had mine a few days but i've had a few sessions when i can't break away from it. It's great.

The 'ring' thing, that's why i set mine back to where it was to begin with, the ring sounds cool at times, that ring mod like overtone. Dialing it out by shortening the max delay time didn't really achieve anything other than making the delay range where it's heard unavailable. You can mask the ring by making it more distrorted, by tweaking the right hand output and bias trimmers, but that fuzzes up the repeats and it loses it's special quality, so i settled back on the cleanest setting. I have to fiddle with stuff sometimes though:crazy

lonelylooper

Plate of shrimp
Gold Supporting Member
Is it all about the milliseconds? Everything I've heard about the Diamond MM2 would point me in that direction.. Although it is more expensive.
Should I even mention the echoczar?
Having said all that the retro-sonic does sound amazing.

LowWatt

Is it all about the milliseconds? Everything I've heard about the Diamond MM2 would point me in that direction.. Although it is more expensive.
Should I even mention the echoczar?
Having said all that the retro-sonic does sound amazing.
Basically, I'd go Diamond if you wanted tap tempo and modulation and Retro-sonic if you want a smaller pedal and a tone control (and to pay half the price).

To me the size and tone flexibility of the RS were exactly what I needed. Awesome pedal.

gitpicker

Gold Supporting Member
I am not really a delay guy, and I love this pedal. I didn't even realize there was a new / longer delay model out there (mine has the red letters). For several years I kept a Maxon AD-80 reissue on my board because I play a lot of cover tunes and sometimes delay is necessary, and it was the smallest analog delay around (plus it sounded pretty good), but since I got my RS I find myself using a lot more delay. I am much more into ambient delay and slapback than I am into long delay times, and this little unit just sounds phenomenal for my application. I didn't even know about the long delay time ring - probably because I never crank the delay times up.

strings2wood

Gold Supporting Member
Hey Marko,

Check with Wahwah (aka Geoff Wells).

He advised me about the Maxon AD-900 (and I bought one!!!)

He also uses a retro sonic (as well as the AD-900 for slightly longer delays).

He has some awesome clips posted including using the Eternity E6 to cop Blackmore type tones.

He's an amazing player and a really nice guy when it comes to sharing his experience etc.

Go Well buddy.

Simon in Melbourne.

ps: the AD-900 could cure me of needing modualtion- I'm not missing it so far!

Last edited:

Trending Topics