Retro-Sonic appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, May 4, 2015.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey all,

Any big fans of Retro Sonic and have one or more of their pedals?

I only tried the phaser and kick myself for selling it. I am looking to replace some of my pedals, even though I have downsized, with Retro pedals.

The pedals I think seem like a great fit with me are the following list.

Retro Sonic:
    Delay - Is based off the Boss DM-2. Now the new Boss Waza Craft DM-2 sounds amazing but the DM-2 is an old design and think there are better sounding and fatter analog delays available these days. So if this is very much like a DM-2, I may have to pass. Guys, any experience?
    Chorus - The chorus seems to be really sweet and has all the controls I would want in a chorus, plus it can do a great flange and Leslie rotary effect.
    Phaser - I used to own and sold it because even though it was really nice, I found my stock MXR P90 to sound warmer and fuller with good mids to cut a mix.
    Overdrive - based on the original TS-808. If not this, I want a good Tube Screamer type pedal. Either this Overdrive or a Maxon OD808X, Duncan 805OD or back to the MXR CMBAOD. However, I read reviews where guys will say the Retro OD is just like all the other 808 clones.

Would love to get some opinions on their pedals! :JAM

Thanks!

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

Chorus and Phaser owner here. They're off my board right now for gig convenience purposes - using a DPC-5 controlling a Mobius. But I prefer the phase and vibrato sounds from the Retro-Sonics and have no plans on selling. Phaser sounds pretty warm and full to me and cuts really well in a mix, particularly with the ability to boost the volume.

3. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I had a Delay for a while, sounded really nice, but I wasn't really into the analog delay thing at the time and other delays sound nearly as nice/had more features. I've since come to appreciate analog delay for what it is, and bought an AD999, wouldn't mind A/B'ing that against the RS.

Really want to try one of the chorus pedals, but the price scares me!

mkr1 - I am in Boston too! Let's work out a pedal swap/demo!

4. fossilfuel

fossilfuel dismember

I have the delay and phaser on my band board.

I also own the Eight o' Eight and got in a second phaser for another board.

5. papersoul

papersoul Member

I guess I have to decide if the Retro pedals can really beat out my MXR pedals which are awesome.

6. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

I own the delay, 808 and distortion.

The delay is hands down the best analog I've tried. Granted I have not been through all of them, but this one jus t sounds amazing. What I love a bout it is that all the controls are highly responsive and interact beautifully with each other so getting a great delay tone in done in a fly and it doesn't have a million switches. The long short option switch is also very handy.

Same goes for the 808. The best 808 in the market IMO. It can be tweaked to your taste and for those looking for ts type pedals that they can tailor their bass to their liking this the pedal, you can go from scooped to flat response and that way control the mid hump. It is more present and cuts through better than the maxon 808 and ibanez ts 808 that i own. Sounds more hi fi tome which I really like.Also scones with three clipping options.

The distortion is based on a rat. Great sounding also and it can be used to overdrive amps. Does this really nice. It also shines as a full on disjoin pedal giving you that classic tone with three clipping options and tweak bale bass and treble to your liiking and your rig.

Really wan the chorus but I just got a Dr, Scientis,

7. deegee

deegee Member

Chorus and delay owner. I will never sell either and will always have the chorus on the board. I love the delay but I really needed one with tap tempo so now I have TC Nova Repeator on the board.

I love Retro Sonic, great pedals!

8. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

The boost is killer IMO. One of my favorite pedals ever.

9. Musicmaster

Musicmaster Supporting Member

I've owned 2 of the RS Chorus units (different versions) and have my 3rd (newest version) in the mail!
    I also have the RS Delay and have owned (but no longer have) the RS Phaser.
    The Phaser I didn't like as much as the DOD Phasor 201, so it didn't stay.
    The Analog Delay I've owned twice, and still have the 2nd one on my board. It's a great, no frills analog delay, a much more functional and modern DM-2... Longer delay times, way less noise, runs on standard 9V. The Analog Delay is what I think of as a "classic" analog sound...
    The Maxon AD-999s sound great, but have their own thing going on, especially on longer decay settings.
    Whereas, when I think "slapback" or natural short analog decay in my head, the Retro-Sonic is what I hear.

Bottom line... I LOVE RETRO-SONIC! I could've kept the Phaser and been happy with it, it's definitely a passable, good sounding Phase 90 variant. The Delay has earned a place on my board twice. Analog delays of this nature can underwhelm when first plugged in, but nothing else really captures the analog warmth, nuances etcetera at the end of the day. I've considered going back to an MLJr. but the RS AD is hard to part with.
    As for the Chorus?
    It's simply my favorite pedal ever, my desert island pedal! I've owned 3 variants of the RS Chorus and it has forever earned a place on my board.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  10. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

I hit jackpot with the boost.
    [​IMG]

Great sounding FA-2 clone, just wished the internal toggles were external. Great tone enhancer, sweet sparkle and right amount of thump you can dial in too.

BUT. The Distortion is the worst Rat I've played and I'm quite a rat enthusiast. A friend passed it to me to "dial" it in since he said the trimpots were shifted or something. Wow what a horrible flat sounding rat. That pedal made its rounds in the local community, constantly being sold again and again.
    Likewise the phaser is a subtle pedal and I cannot understand the love behind it. I prefer phasers to be more forward than the RS unfortunately.

11. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

not in the OPs list, but the Distortion is one of the bests of its kind IMO

12. B-Nads

B-Nads Supporting Member

They make my favorite phaser.

I have FossilFuel's 8-oh-8 Overdrive right now - on loan for a test-run. I don't it's fair to call it just another TS808 - at least not the newer version with the clipping switch. I ran it on the board last night with one of my all-time favorite TS pedals - the MJM Phantom, and my Gain Changer. I can get it to my favorite tone from the GC, but with a bigger bass, more clarity overall, and sweeter highs. It outclasses the Phantom handily through my M12, and that's not something I thought I'd say anytime soon.

13. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I've been curious about the FA-1 style JFET boost, seems like a cool pedal and can be had cheap used.