Retro-Sonic Chorus vs. Diamond Halo Chorus???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jokerjkny, Apr 17, 2008.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

which do you guys prefer?

2. wahwah

wahwah Member

I own a Retro-Sonic chorus, as well as an original CE-1 and a couple of Dimension C's, but I haven't personally played a Halo. If you want a chorus to emulate a CE-1 without the bulky size, impedance mismatching and inherent noise, then the Retro-Sonic fits the bill. But the samples of the Halo Chorus are equally beautiful and would suggest that it is a more versatile unit, especially considering that it has an expression pedal jack for controlling the speed. Both are based on the original BBD chips of the CE-1, so sonically they are quite similar in their organic quality and stunning sound. The extra that you pay for the Halo shows up in its versatility. It would come down to whether you are happy having the simplicity and stunning beauty of the Retro-Sonic, or if you require the same but with more options and the need to control speeds on the fly, at a higher price. (You would also have to add the cost of the expression pedal if you don't already have one.)

Cheers....................................wahwah

3. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Haven't played the Halo, but I just rec'd a Retro-Sonic Chorus (9v). The RS is one of the best, riches, thickest sounding choruses I've ever owned and I've had a few. Any setting on the RSC is rich and thick and it's very warm. Haven't had it but about5 days, but I'm enjoying it alot.

vtg

4. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

I just bought a Halo based on the ProGuitarShopDemos demo. The tone is fantastic and it's very versatile. THe ability to dial a tone with a touch of chorus and a touch of phaser is great and is what I use the most.

I think it's a more subtle effect than the competitors: the phaser has a vibe kind of wobble and is quite sublte too.

I don't like chorus normally and I love this Halo: it's warm, sexy and can be subtle while definitly adding to the tone.

You won't get the tone of an analog man clone chorus or of a EHX small stone out of the Halo. It's more delicate than that but I finally found my goto modulation pedal.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Pick up a used Maxon CS-550. You will thank me later. The warmest, clearest, most organic, analog chorus I've ever heard. Not to mention it is highly tweakable. Same goes for the PH-350 Phaser. Maxon got it right with these two. They will never leave my board, worth the real estate and cost.