Retro Sonic Flanger

Teleman76

Tubes-a-glowin
Silver Supporting Member
I had one of the very first. I A/B it to both my original EM units, a v.2 and v.5. I ended up passing it along and using other flangers. I read where he had a second version he could do but that’s all I know. Flash forward 2 weeks ago I bought a new unit from Axe and You Shall Receive. This one is different than the one I had. Not sure if He has changed anything or not. Maybe part tolerances?? I can say for certainty that this is as close to my v2 EM that I’ve ever played. I actually prefer this one, and FWIW, has never happened. I’ve had flangers I really liked and some sounded almost as good. Hopefully someone could confirm if Retro-Sonic has changed the Flanger from the initial run units.

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
I had one of the very first. I A/B it to both my original EM units, a v.2 and v.5. I ended up passing it along and using other flangers. I read where he had a second version he could do but that’s all I know. Flash forward 2 weeks ago I bought a new unit from Axe and You Shall Receive. This one is different than the one I had. Not sure if He has changed anything or not. Maybe part tolerances?? I can say for certainty that this is as close to my v2 EM that I’ve ever played. I actually prefer this one, and FWIW, has never happened. I’ve had flangers I really liked and some sounded almost as good. Hopefully someone could confirm if Retro-Sonic has changed the Flanger from the initial run units.
could be how it was calibrated.
I had a v4 18V EM that sounded like absolute crap. I don't have an oscilloscope for calibration either, so I said... **** it... I'm gonna do this by ear. I was able to the the V4 sounding great!
perhaps down the line they learned something about calibrating the trims and started doing it a little bit different .

_____

Silver Supporting Member
Have one of the early ones too. What do remember are the differences - old vs new? This one is pretty mid pushed, is the new more neutral?

Teleman76

Tubes-a-glowin
Silver Supporting Member
Have one of the early ones too. What do remember are the differences - old vs new? This one is pretty mid pushed, is the new more neutral?
This new one has more top-end than I remember the initial one having. Seems to be very much to par with my originals. The first RS Flanger sounded good but were certain differences, not necessarily bad, just slightly different voicing. This one also seems spot on to playing cleans. I’m not good with words comparing them but can say with certainty that this new one is much closer to an original Mistress than the first RS flanger I owned was. May be my ears playing tricks on me too. Would be genuinely curious if anything has changed to the circuit. Tolerances in parts today isn’t as wide spread as they were in the 70’s so I’d imagine consistency is pretty common with pedals nowadays.?

Last edited:

Teleman76

Tubes-a-glowin
Silver Supporting Member
could be how it was calibrated.
I had a v4 18V EM that sounded like absolute crap. I don't have an oscilloscope for calibration either, so I said... **** it... I'm gonna do this by ear. I was able to the the V4 sounding great!
perhaps down the line they learned something about calibrating the trims and started doing it a little bit different .
I purchased a Hartman SAD1024 once that I had to send off to get calibrated. Someone apparently jacked it up with the internal trim pots. It was totally different after it was properly calibrated with an oscilloscope. Wasn’t happy about a $60 bench fee for it but was paperweight without.

Retro-Sonic

This new one has more top-end than I remember the initial one having. Seems to be very much to par with my originals. The first RS Flanger sounded good but were certain differences, not necessarily bad, just slightly different voicing. This one also seems spot on to playing cleans. I’m not good with words comparing them but can say with certainty that this new one is much closer to the first one I owned. May be my ears playing tricks on me too. Would be genuinely curious if anything has changed to the circuit. Tolerances in parts today isn’t as wide spread as they were in the 70’s so I’d imagine consistency is pretty common with pedals nowadays.?
Thanks for posting this, I’ve been watching for some comments on the latest version from someone with originals to compare and glad to hear that it’s very, very close to the original now (I have a V2 also, only one, and it’s what I use for my “baseline”).

You’re right there is a difference between the very early units and the ones today. I have tweaked things very slightly along the way to chase that “high end” that the original 18V’s are famous for; that brilliance/clarity top end thing.

The very first units ( about the first 40 units) had a larger sweep ratio than the original 18V which may have given it a slightly different character, later version have an equivalent sweep and delay range to the original.

These first 40 also had some input filtering to keep nose to a minimum, but hampered the end a bit ( this is heard in Joe’s video). This is removed in later versions (reminds me I should send Joe the latest for an updated video, since it’s a much closer match now).

Lastly, one other very small tweak early this year that I hoped put things even closer to the original ( Teleman76 you have one of these units).

In terms of calibration, I painstakingly ensure each unit is calibrated to the same specs to ensure the best consistency possible from pedal to pedal.

Hope that is useful info,

Tim

Shoegazer47

Is there any visual differences between the early run and the updated ones?

Thanks for posting this, I’ve been watching for some comments on the latest version from someone with originals to compare and glad to hear that it’s very, very close to the original now (I have a V2 also, only one, and it’s what I use for my “baseline”).

You’re right there is a difference between the very early units and the ones today. I have tweaked things very slightly along the way to chase that “high end” that the original 18V’s are famous for; that brilliance/clarity top end thing.

The very first units ( about the first 40 units) had a larger sweep ratio than the original 18V which may have given it a slightly different character, later version have an equivalent sweep and delay range to the original.

These first 40 also had some input filtering to keep nose to a minimum, but hampered the end a bit ( this is heard in Joe’s video). This is removed in later versions (reminds me I should send Joe the latest for an updated video, since it’s a much closer match now).

Lastly, one other very small tweak early this year that I hoped put things even closer to the original ( Teleman76 you have one of these units).

In terms of calibration, I painstakingly ensure each unit is calibrated to the same specs to ensure the best consistency possible from pedal to pedal.

Tim

Teleman76

Tubes-a-glowin
Silver Supporting Member

Tim
Thanks for the reply, Tim. I was hoping it wasn’t just my imagination. I think this new one is better than the initial one I had, early serial number 20 something.
I could be totally content on using this flanger from here on out. Color me impressed my friend. This flanger number is 363. This is as close as you will get to a v2 EM my friends.

Last edited:

lofibrian

Silver Supporting Member
I had one in the 30s. Now I have one downstairs in 190s. My wife ordered it for xmas, so I have not messed with it. I moved the old one on. I should check out the 190 one

johnnyg88

Very interesting! I just ordered the ThorpyFX Camoflange because the RS, although awesome, was lacking the shimmery top end. I have a very early one that I ordered as well. I’m slightly intimidated by the extra controls of the ThorpyFX, so maybe a return is in order and this new RS will be the one!

@Retro-Sonic: any chance the older ones can be sent in for modding? Or is it better to just get a new one? I have #13

super helpful thread!

Last edited:

groovington

Very interesting! I just ordered the ThorpyFX Camoflange because the RS, although awesome, was lacking the shimmery top end. I have a very early one that I ordered as well. I’m slightly intimidated by the extra controls of the ThorpyFX, so maybe a return is in order and this new RS will be the one!

@Retro-Sonic: any chance the older ones can be sent in for modding? Or is it better to just get a new one? I have #13

super helpful thread!
Yeah I just ordered the Thorpy yesterday. Now I see this and think I could've been happy with the RetroSonic had I known it's been updated and improved. Oh well... I'll give the Camoflange a go and if it's not up to my expectations, I guess I'll try the RetroSonic and decide which to keep and which two move on.