Retroman Lola Impressions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 1955Junior, Feb 9, 2006.

1. 1955Junior

1955Junior Silver Supporting Member

I've been looking for a fuzz pedal that replicates some of the great old pedals of the 60s and 70s. I heard that the Retroman Lola might be something to try. Anyone have one? What are your impressions?

Thanks

2. Craise

Craise Member

Not sure about the Lola, But I do own a retroman sybil and I feel it's the best Fuzz I've ever played. It has both germ(lower gain) and silicon (higher gain) fuzz in one box...you can run them in series or parallel. Anyway...the sybil is a great pedal, I'm sure the lola is just as good..but with that MK11 flavor. Also I love that retroman adds an ON/OFF switch to one of the knobs. This way you can use batteries which sound better in fuzzes, and not have to unplug the pedal when not in use. Also retroman's build quality is top notch! Sweet! :)

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]
    [/FONT]

3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Supporting Member

I have a retroman Soul-O which is an early version of a Lola. Mine sounds excellent for early Page like tone. I run it off batteries. Using a power supply adds a lot of noise. I guess thats because this is a high gain device so any additional noise really gets amplified a lot. I prefer to use it when I play through the clean or slightly overdriven channel of my amp. To much dirt from the amp combined with this pedal and it loses some of its mojo. Good luck.

4. drolling

drolling Member

Don't know Lola, but I'm in love w/Sybil- She's a schizophrenic ho' who'll give you one helluva ride.

Joe Wolf (retroman) builds these to order, so it took about a month to get it. Meticulous build quality & top-notch parts. I think his stuff's really gonna take off when players start to hear what you can do with his designs. Got to be the most versatile fuzz I've used..

5. 1955Junior

Craig,

I've also heard about the Sybil. I may have tro try both. The on/off switch sounds like a big plus.
    Thanks for your input.

Regards,

6. 1955Junior

Heinz57,

Thanks for the input. My main amp is a Dr. Z, Z-28 combo that I'm now running through a 4-10 Marshall cab. This amp takes pedals very well and I bet it the Lola would sound great with it. To your knowledge, is there any difference between the Soul-O and Lola?

Regards,

7. 1955Junior

Drolling,

Looks like I may want to also research the Sybil. Perhaps I'll try both (Lola & Sybil). Either way, it doesn't sound like I'll be disappointed.

Thanks for the input.

8. twangyt

twangyt Member

I e-mailed Joe last week about the very same question. He was very helpful with his reply and I hope that he doesn't mind me posting his reply :

Joe Wolf-
    The "Soul-O" name was only used for the first two!
    Those (the 2 "Soul-O" pedals) were more or less sales Protos, featuring 3
    NOS Philips OC76 transistors. The pedal was still being finalized, so it
    may not be quite as polished as later units (these were very early units).
    The tone should all be there, as in the current "Lola" - the biggest
    differences vs. current production:
    1. LED.
    2. All controls on the top face.
    3. Fuzz control/circuit was modified to allow a wider range of dynamics.
    4. Now using a mix of OC76 and OC44 transistors, again to gain more dynamic
    range - softish fuzz (but not as soft as a FF) to typical MkII thunder.
    5. Cleaner internal layout

Hope this helps....:AOK

9. twangyt

twangyt Member

Opps, forgot to mention that he was answering my question of what the difference was between the first production MKII (Soul-O) and the current Lola pedal is....

I own a Wolf Tone Machine and can tell you that his designs and build are top-notch.......

10. Craise

Craise Member

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a Lola in the Emporium! I'll check back in when it arrives and let you know how it sounds. I'm sure it will sound great.
    :)

11. drolling

drolling Member

mmm.. I'll bet it does.. Just discovered at practice last night that I can play Sybil like a theramin using her tone controls & the volume pot on my guitar. She's just full of surprises..

12. Heinz57

Heinz57 Supporting Member

Thanks for the info comparing the lola and soul-o. I was under the impression that they were nearly identical.
    I'm wondering if I were to take the pepsi challenge between a Soul-o and Lola if I could tell the difference.

Congrats on the lola. When you get your Lola tell us your impressions.

13. 1955Junior

Criag,

Look forward to hearing how you like the Lola.

Thanks,

14. meterman

meterman Member

I think that the Sybil is overall the best sounding and most versatile fuzz I've played, I love it. Build quality is good as anybody's...I have a Pedalworx Bender Over Under MkII clone that sounds great but I've never played another MkII so I look forward to comparing to the Lola....if it sounds as good as Sybil it should be an interesting shootout....I think Joe is also working on a MkIII?

15. dbx

dbx Member

Joe's efx are well made with good ingredients and sound good...he mixes the "mystical" ;) Mullard/Phillips OC76/OC44 transistors but does not charge a premium for the selection and matching. Also the Lola has the bias trim on the top of the pedal...very handy to dialin the transistors to taste or adjust for temperature weirdness. 100% home-grown operation, cares about his customers' satisfaction...and he does a hell of a job :AOK

16. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Sybil is one of the best, if not the best fuzzes I have ever played. His Ubervibe is killer also. If I could have only one pedalmaker's name on my board it would be RETROMAN!! :RoCkIn

17. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

The three best fuzzes I have ever used were the AnalogMan SunFace with NKT, an Arbiter Fuzz Face modded by AMan with NKT and the Lola.

Jack

18. Charmless

Charmless Supporting Member

Danville, CA. Always looking for Carlsbro amps!
    How did it compare?

19. ChickenZombie

ChickenZombie Member

lola is the best sounding fuzz into my silverface
    blenders for fenders