1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Retroman Uber-Vibe & Lola

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iggs, Feb 18, 2009.

1. iggs

iggs Member

Just got these two recently and they sound amazing.

Uber-Vibe is just so thick, swirly and rich. The filter controls on the UV are subtle but they do provide different Vibe textures not possible otherwise ... when maxed it sounds like there's a bit of wah-wah to the throb, very unique. Overall a killer vibe!

Lola SCREAMS! Tons of sustain and volume on tap. The bias knob works very nice to go from thick and saturated to more open and brassy.
    I also have the Throbak Stonebender which is really nice but Lola is much more ... I can get her to sound like the Stonebender but not the other way around. I'm going to refrain from commenting on how "vintage" or how authentic MKII tones it does since I don't really care. What I do care about is how awesome it does sound. Also ... it is SUPER QUIET, this is by far the quietest fuzz I've ever tried.

Both pedals are top-notch in construction and built, I would never expect anything less from Retroman. I have spent way to much money, time and frustration going through tons of booteek stuff (shall remain nameless) only to be disappointed not only by mediocre sound but mediocre design, construction and build. To me, Retroman is what boutique electronics should be about.

I've done some quick vids here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/nshc

Everything is through this setup:

Dr. Z Route 66
    Dr. Z Z-Best 2x12
    HotPlate -12dB
    Grosh RC-S (DiMarzio Area 58, 58, 61)
    Zoom H2 (44.1 kHz 16-bit)

The sound does not do it justice, both of these sound amazing in person and only get better when cranked (the HotPlate does make it all a bit fizzy but I'd rather not go deaf ... yet)

2. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

I concur. Retroman's build quality is tops. I had to sell my sybil yesterday for financial reasons and already miss it. It is the only pedla i've ever owned that sounds like a horn. When I get back up Im getting a 2 stomp sybil!

3. iggs

iggs Member

Sorry to hear about having to sell ... not to add insult to the injury but I ordered a Sybil the day I got my Lola and Uber-Vibe ... not that I can afford it but I just could not resist, I think I'm becoming a bit of a Retroman addict.

4. Curly

Curly Member

I've always had a great impression of the Lola, but just never pulled the trigger.

His clips sound like he "gets it" though.

5. geetarman

geetarman Member

I concur Joe builds some nice stuff I love my Hi-Octone.

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I've had the Ubervibe and Sybil and they were both stellar pedals.

7. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Member

His Beano rocks! Its the best treble boost I have ever used.
    Very versatile too.
    In fact I need it to stave off the GAS I have for all his pedals.
    Lola is next!
    Build quality is top notch!