Retroman Uber Vibe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mitrich, Mar 1, 2006.

1. mitrich

mitrich Member

Has anyone heard, played, or owned Uber Vibe yet? How do you like it?

Thanks

2. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

i have one. i love it. the filters are very versatile and the sound quality is top notch. it took me a little bit to dial it in but only because there are so many options. Joe Wolf is great to deal with and he signed the bottom to me. It can be subtle to seasick and is definately a keeper.

3. retro

retro Member

When will we get clips???
    :)

4. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

i have one that is being shipped to me right now.

i will post my thoughts after i play around with it for a while:dude :RoCkIn :dude

5. Elliott Damage

Elliott Damage Member

hopefully soon, i plan to use it in the studio on some new songs.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah, I've really been so happy with my old UltraVibe that I almost hate to admit that I'm intrigued by that extra row of knobs on the Uber..

I don't normally like fussing w/unnecessary controls, but the Retroman Sybil's the most versatile fuzz I've ever used. Six dials, a switch and an almost infinite variety of REALLY GOOD tones!

7. retro

retro Member

:dude That would be cool to hear it in a studio mix!!!

Anyone who has an Uber so far, can you compare it to other vibes you may have used?

Very curious about the Uber....

I can't say I've found a more musical or versatile fuzz as Sybil and Joe (Retroman) I know is absolutely a great guy, I would have to think this is going to be a killer vibe.

8. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I got my UberVibe a week ago, & while I'm no vibe expert or slut, I can say that the UberVibe is a seriously killer pedal, with alot of range & versatility. I've been running a stereo rig for almost 2 years now, ever since I got my Echoczar, & the UberVibe's stereo capability was a deciding factor for me. Joe from Retroman was extremely patient & helpful throughout the entire process, & went way out of his way to answer all my questions, & help me deal with the somewhat complicated patching arrangement I needed to run both the Echoczar & UberVibe in stereo together. How's it sound? In stereo, it sounds fantastic in my rig, with a huge spread! Running it in alone, or in tandem with the Echoczar/Angel Baby in stereo, is truly a thing of beauty. There are alot of tones on tap from the filter controls, & I've really only scratched the surface with settings. I'm running it at the end of my chain, after all my dirtboxes & boosts, & it can easily handle all the higher input gains I throw at it. While it runs at 9vdc, the voltage is pumped up internally, which gives it enough headroom to handle a much hotter input signal no problem, a huge plus! I was concerned about this cuz of placement in the chain. To my ears, vibes & phasers tradtitionally sound best before dirtboxes & boosts, but since I needed to run the UberVibe towards the end of the chain to utilize it's stereo capabilities, the extra headroom was critical. I already had a vibe on my board prior to getting my UberVibe, a Shannon UniPhase, which I run before my dirtboxes. The UniPhase is a great sounding vibe, but it's significantly different sounding than the UniVibe. The difference is hard to articulate, but the way I have them configured, the UniPhase provides me with more traditional & classic vibe sounds associated with running before dirtboxes, & the UberVibe provides new sonic vistas I've not heard before in true stereo after dirtboxes, as well as some traditional sounds.
    Bottom line... I'm keeping both on my board cuz they each are unique & different, & sound fantastic preforming separate functions.
    Needless to say, I'm a very happy camper with the modulator choices I currently have on my board, & the UberVibe is a walk-off home run in my book.

9. fuzzyguitars

I got my uber vibe yesterday and have only give it a quick spin.

test rig was fender custom shop strat and suhr hsh strat into fender blackface 64 super reverb and into Peavey JSX high gain amplifier.

into teese picture wah- uber vibe - eternity - MI crunch box.- sybil - memery lane delay.

with the super reverb and strat it was vintage city. the uber is very lush.
    tons of headroom. good variation on throb. vol 1 and vol 2 jacks sound different to me. one more high fi- the other more thick.

in the clean mode it in everyway is just as good as the mayer voodoo vibe that I have. Better in some respects in that it has tons more headroom and less high fi. It can get just as high fi though if you engage the buffer.

the knob on the side is a breeze to use and now that i have it, i can't imagine owning a vibe with out a foot adjustable rate control!

with some overdrive kicked in the effect is not as pronounced as the mayer, this especially noticeable on the bridge pickup. This probable has something with the compression that i seem to get with the mayer, it squashes the signal with heavy strumming. However with the neck pickup all is good.

In all fairness I have not really tweaked the uber vibes four controls for the individual phase section of the pedal, so there is probably way more throb in the pedal that i have not unlocked.

with the suhr into the super reverb setup was really nice and much less vintagey (sp).

through the jsx with both axes the results were similiar but the differences in headroom and compression were really contrasted with the uber with much less compression and more headroom than the mayer.

pluses are:
    small footprint
    built in footcontroller for rate
    terrific headroom
    very little compression.
    terrific fidelity of signal.

minus (for now, i need to learn to tweak the pedal a little more methinks!)
    just a tad less throb than the mayer.
    less apparent when used with high gain and bridge pickup.

more thoughts to follow when I get to play with it some more tonight!:dude :RoCkIn :dude

10. Retroman

Retroman Member

Hey All -

Still up to me eyeballs, but it is great to hear the UVs are kicking out there!

One hint (to those who haven't tried it): Run your distortion or fuzz before the UV - trust me, try it - the additional headroom I built in there is for this. The result is thick, heavy and liquid -

It is counter-intuitive (because vibes typically can't handle the front end kick) .... but give it a try - that's part of the design.

Best to all (back to soldering) -

Joe

11. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

OK guys darn it!! I am on the list!!! :) Cant wait! I have a ultra vibe already with a mojo vibe and a foxrox Captain coconut 2 coming. VIBE SHOOTOUT!!!

12. retro

retro Member

Hmmm, I can imagine driving a UV with a Sybil would be a very blissful experience.

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I have a sybil coming too :dude

:)

14. retro

retro Member

:AOK

15. fuzzyguitars

truly a sybil and uber vibe are a marriage made in heaven.

I am really digging the uber!

The thing that sets it apart from all the others is the massive headroom that it has. It takes hot signals without the problems that I had in the past with mojo vibe.

I currently have a mayer voodoo vibe, shannon uni vibe. I had tried a kr vibe , voodoo labes vibe, and used to own a mojo vibe.

the kr was nice but it does not have the headroom of the uber and i seem to remember it needs a 12 or 18v power, this was a large box one.

the voodoo labs had headroom but had a harsh top end.

the shannon uni vibe is good, but not a lush or sparkly as the uber.

the mayer voodoo vibe is still a keeper as well. It does just a tad better with super heavy distorted tones. But I think that it is becuase it does compress the signal.

I am pretty sure the uber will be the goto vibe for my gigging board because its small size, normal power requirements, adjustable rate with foot knob, and sounds great clean and distorted, and its massive headroom. Did i tell you guys that this thing has terrific headroom?

Sorry to on about that, but headroom has always been a beef with me and vibes!

16. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Now that everybody has had some time with the Ubervibe, can you and others comment? I want to know about this pedal.

17. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Still right up there with the Ultra and Provibe IMO. The vibe I finally settled on after trying the Mojo, Ultra and Proviber (in my Capt. Coconut). I had to sell it, BUT if I buy another it will be the Ubervibe. Especially with the new added control ion the back of the pedal.

18. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Does anyone have any better sound clips then the ones on the Retroman website. I'm not trying to be mean but those clips just don't represent it well at all! I hope he gets some better clips on his site. I'm ready to pull the trigger but I want to hear some different clips of the Uber-vibe. Can anyone help with this?

19. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Come one guys.. Can some one chime in about this pedal? BUMP!

20. Retroman

Retroman Member

They are not the best, I concur - they were literaly thrown together a year ago.

I will do what I can to get some better clips up there ... biz has been insane (busy building), so time has not been an ally for other stuff.

Maybe some cleansh "Breathe" type of clip and a better Trower recording .... perhaps this weekend.

Hey! Uber-Dudes ( and Dudettes)! Still waiting for clips!!!!

Best to all -

Joe

PS - the Delay proto is finally done .... sounds just like my old Boss DM-2 analog (that was the goal) - largely due to using the same companding circuit.