retrosonic analog delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Feb 22, 2009.

1. lv

lv Member

My friend Dave lent me this pedal and it sounds wonderful. Very quiet, and sound great in front of the amp, or in a serial dumbleator loop. The tone control is perfectly voiced and has a wide range. Turned completely off, the repeats have a pleasing thickness and 'thud' to them. Turned up higher they get clearer, but still smooth. And the degrade and morph into a wonderfully warm stew of tone :D

I haven't had much luck using analog delays for clean tones as they tend to be too dark/muffled, but not so with the retrosonic.

Great product.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. Bobster

Bobster Supporting Member

hmm, how long is the delay? I'm looking for an analog delay as well, currently looking at the empress superdelay..

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Retrosonic. It's the most beautiful sound. I've been partial to analog voiced digital delays for a long time -- with the H&K Replex a longtime favorite in that area. Soon as I heard the Retrosonic, my whole pedalboard changed. It's clear, warm, dead quiet, a total winner of a pedal. Mine is the 800ms version.

4. lv

lv Member

800 ms as far as I know.

5. Franktone

Franktone Member

The retrosonic delay would be really something if they would add modulation.

6. lv

lv Member

Sounds like double to my ears, and no, not adjustable. The tone gets progressively darker, but not really noisier, which is impressive. In fact, with the tone knob all the way down, there is virtually no noise whatsoever - works great for thick, high gain leads.

That said, my preferences are similar to yours, and I sometimes think I need a separate digital delay for the real clean stuff.

7. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Hey Lou, how would you compare the RS to the Carbon Copy?

8. lv

lv Member

Ignoring the modulation, the big difference to my ears is the Retro's is quieter and tone knob. While I did not a/b them, I bet you could make the Retrosonic sound almost identical to the CC with the right tone knob setting.

The Retro's tone knob makes it pretty versatile - with the tone knob all the way down, you can get almost Cornish TES levels of dark/thud/thump repeats.

That said, if the CC had a tone knob, it would be pretty hard to beat with its modulation, small size, good sound.

9. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

At longer delay settings does the RS Delay have that metallic ring to it? I know that is one thing that yanks my chain with most of these analog delays. It seems like the makers are squeezing to much performance out of them.

10. Ohsumyall Bmad

Ohsumyall Bmad Senior Member

800 ms? That cannot be analog delay. It's digital.

11. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Silver Supporting Member

600ms. NO mettalic ring at longer sttings. Tone knob very versatile.

12. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Yes it can. It all comes down to how many chips you use and how you time them. The Maxon AD-999 (also a pure analog delay) has 900ms of delay time.

And that metallic ring, I'm sort of hoping the Retro-Sonic has it. I'm buying one in the next few months and I actually like that trashy metallic ring in the longer delay times.

13. drolling

drolling Member

So... can we get some clips please, Lou?

What about oscillation? Modulation I can take or leave, but runaway delay's the big treat for me - and no two analog delays do it the same way.

My only complaint about Diamond Memory Lane; that 'wood-block' thing it degenerates into.

But if the oscillation's got that *musical* quality like the Deluxe Memory Man, minus the noise, PLUS a tone control (why don't more delays feature EQ circuitry?) this sounds like something I need.

Expensive??

14. drolling

drolling Member

OK ~ just me again...

Don't know how this one flew in under my radar, but I just came back from their site.. Doesn't use those real expensive 25 buck chips, but it is an analog signal path. 600 milleseconds max.

And the 2 speed switch is brilliant. Something I loved about the Dano mini PB&J delay; you can toggle back & forth between a slapback & long trails - very useful!

15. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Actually, they've updated how they set it up so that they get 800ms out of those same chips. It seems to have a pretty nice oscilation. Check out the video demo on www.ProGuitarShop.com it shows some nice UFO spinners.

16. Ohsumyall Bmad

That's true...but I seriously doubt it.

you'd need what, perhaps 3 or 4 of the Cool Audio delay chips?
    You know how expensive those chips are?
    How much i$ the pedal again?

17. Ohsumyall Bmad

ahh, you answered my question.
    as i said...it's a DIGITAL DELAY.

for the record...All digital delays ever made can claim "analog path" except computer plug ins perhaps?

18. DavidH

DavidH Member

It's not a digital delay, it's an analog delay, based on the DM-2.

19. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

You are wrong. This is a true, proper, 100% analog delay. There is no doubt or argument in this. In theory, it is a DM-2 whose delay path has been doubled and extended. The switchable times are related to the chips. When the short delay switch is tossed, half of the chips are taken out of the path, cutting the delay time in half. This is not a digital function.

As Maxon has proven, you can definitely get up to 900ms out of a pure analog delay. This one originally could only get 600ms, but with some well thought out tweaks it hits 800ms of PURE ANALOG DELAY.

20. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

It's certainly NOT digital.

And having played one in a tourbox, I can say it's pure joy to plug it in a let those repeats wash over you!