• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Retube New VoxAC15HW1

GregWV

I have a set of JJ's (power tubes and 12ax7's) and was thinking about putting them in my new HW15...would these be ab upgrade over the stock tubes (I'm assuming they are Chinese tubes). Stock ones sound pretty good!

Thanks!

ssyrjamaki

vox often uses electro harmonix tubes in different positions... jj's will likely make the amp sound darker...

Gretsch&Vox

Just checking - the EL84 will not need to be re-biased. I just plug and play?
Correct---it is cathode/auto-biased. Just make sure you used a matched set of EL84s.

vox often uses electro harmonix tubes in different positions... jj's will likely make the amp sound darker...
To my ears, JJ 803s preamp and JJ EL84 power tubes make my AC15HW1(X) sound rich, bright and bell-tone-like/chimey.

Gearaddict

Personally, I would leave the stock tubes in. If you like the sound of your amp, why change the variables?

I just picked up a new AC15C1. A lot of people have chimed in about the crappy Chinese tubes in it. Well, I love the tone of this amp, both clean and dirty and this thing is dead quiet with no annoying hum or buzz on idle. Not changing the tubes till I have to.

A lot of people have also chimed in about the greenback. Also, once again, I'm leaving it in. I love it clean, distorted and all points between. I have an extension cab with a Blue and haven't even tried it yet - no need. If you don't like an amp right out of the box, stock, it aint the right amp for you. Don't listen to all the hype. Let your ears be the judge.

jmczaja

I find the JJ's bright as well.. Cool if you do the jangle thing..

I personally like the TAD-EL84-STR's, tames the brightness of my tele..

GregWV

I think I'll leave the stock tubes in (Ruby's). Then if something goes wrong I have a match set of JJ's power tubes and a set of gold JJ 12ax7's.

I spent the day down at church with our sound team and they were amazed at how well the HW sounded- very little eq'ing necessary. I really love the added low end of the HW!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom