Retubing a Classic 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dave Wakely, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I'm not a tube guru, so I'm here for advice.

My old Classic 30 currently has:

V1: Mullard 12AX7
    V2: GE 12AX7
    V3: GE 12AT7
    V4 - 7: GE EL84s

It gets used a few hours a week (and the occasional month, it gets forgotten and I use a Polytone), rarely much above 2, always on the clean channel, usually with the boost button in. The valves are all around 18 months on the clock.

It's developed a whistle that carries on even with the volume on 0, so I'm guessing it's time for a revalve. From its symtoms, should I just replace the lot, or are their main culprits? (I know V2 is only used on the drive channel, so I'm guessing that one is 'innocent'!).

And recommendations welcome - the easiest short hand for the kind of tone I'm after is triangulated by Frissell, Gilmour and Marvin :)

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I would check the output tubes first (the el 84s)

Its smart to have a backup set of power tubes, and maybe a 12ax7 or two, if you plan to gig. I have also heard that the Classic 30 amps are hard on tubes due to their location near the speaker magnet. Might want to get a "tube tamer" installed if you don't already have one (I think most new C30's come with a tube guard). This will cut down any tube rattle you maybe experiencing.

The tubes you have in there should last a good while if they were in good condition when you installed them. For new production el84's I would reccomend JJ's or TAD. For NOS stuff check with Mike at KCA NOS tubes.

http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/

Good luck.

dk

3. Dave Wakely

Dave Wakely Member

I have a backup set up of EL84s, and I'll try them now - thanks for the advice. (It does get gigged, but rarely - I usually use the Polytone - but tube rattle has been an issue sometimes, so I'll look up tube tamers and treat myseld.

And I'm in the UK, so valve recommendations always welcome, but I'll probably be shopping at watfordvalves.com.

Many thanks,

Dave

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Nice valves. If the EL84's dont help I'd start swapping out the 12AX7's, starting with the V1 ,one at a time. Bob

5. reno88

reno88 Member

+1 w/dk. i owned a classic 30 (great amp) for about @ 18 months. they tend to run pretty hot, and i've spoken with others that have stated the amp runs thru tubes comparatively quickly.