Retubing Marshall '62 Bluesbreaker- Recommendations? 6L6 vs KT66?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by robojim4000, Feb 14, 2008.

1. robojim4000

robojim4000 Member

The stock (sovtek) tubes are a little nasty so im changing the power tubes. In the 6l6 camp im thinking JAN PHILIPS 6l6wgc, or SED 'winged' C 6L6. Ive also heard things about sticking some KT66, possibly chinese (cant afford NOS KT66!).

Would the new production chinese KT66 sound as good as the NOS JAN PHILIPS 6l6wgc?

I not at all concerned about sounding like eric clapton - i bought the bluesbreaker because its good amp. I prefer 'american' cleans, but 'british' breakup :)

2. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Member

I have not tried both, but I can say that I use N.O.S Jan/Philips 6L6WGB in my Laney LH50R-II head, and they give just that, warm 'American' cleans, which eventually break up into a lovely smooth but punchy distortion when an extra couple of gain stages are switched in.

The overall character at higher gain is sweetly compressed, as might be expected from such a short bottled tube. I was recommended them ( by Watford Valves in the U.K. ) - to bridge the function of my Fender Twin and a hi-gain head all in one amp.

3. 908SSP

908SSP Member

Depends on the year of your reissue. The KT66 don't fit the early ones that are 9.5" deep they do fit the later ones at 10.5" deep. The Tungsol 5880 sound good and fit the early reissue. I run GEC KT66 that sound wonderful and well they should for the price you pay.

4. Strat God

Strat God Member

I'd go with the KT's if possible.
    Kinkless Tetrodes have much better harmonics and a smoother midrange.
    Plus they last a lot longer than 6L6's.

5. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

How about 7581s There the american KT66.