• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Retubing My Marshall - What NOS Tubes Work For You

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
HI !

Aside from Mullard & Brimar - obvious choices - what are you rolling these days ? Any NOS U.S. tubes get " the tone ". I'm looking for '60's & '70's tone - no metal. Need EL 34's & 12ax7 ideas. THX!

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Which marshall? What are you going for?

Leaving the previously mentioned "obvious choices" out doesn't give us much to talk about. :hide2

I tend to go for low to mid gain and pref a creamy harmonics versus something bright and stiff. On the pre-amp side. I still dig Tele smooth plates in the PI in many cases. I have some GEs 12ax7s that I will try out some times. If the amp is dark I'll add in an amperex, and I think I'm also running one of these in the PI right now in my Bass 35. Other than that, I primarily stick with a Blackburn Mullard in v1 always.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
RFT is darker and breaks up sooner than Brimar or Mullard. Telefunken or Amperex are a bit brighter and bit cleaner, and a bit cheaper. ANOS tubes are a better way to go than NOS IMHO, as long as you're getting them from someone reliable. I think that some folks like Sylvania for those amps as well.

Power tubes-Siemens are less expensive than Mullard, although not cheap any more

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
RFT is darker and breaks up sooner than Brimar or Mullard. Telefunken or Amperex are a bit brighter and bit cleaner, and a bit cheaper. ANOS tubes are a better way to go than NOS IMHO, as long as you're getting them from someone reliable. I think that some folks like Sylvania for those amps as well.

Power tubes-Siemens are less expensive than Mullard, although not cheap any more
Thanks. I've got some RFT 12ax7. I need a third. What matches up well with them in your opinion ?

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
So... power tubes are always a second priority for me a mostly about longevity. Pre amp tubes for amps... RCA and GE seem right to me in fenders. Amperex / bugle boys sound right in British amps like Marshalls.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks. I've got some RFT 12ax7. I need a third. What matches up well with them in your opinion ?
I've found the first tube most important. Definitely put an RFT there. Second tube less critical, needs to be a decent tube. Last tube overdrives when the power tubes start to cook, so an RFT there as well, IMHO.

ProfRhino

a Sovtek LPS will sound remarkably good in the PI position, if you can't afford a vintage Telefunken (etc) long plate.
an RFT would be my least likely choice for PI, the only thing worse would be a JJ ECC83S. o_O
in V1 & V2, RFTs are superb for those 80s hair metal tones in a 220x ! :aok
I still go with Philips made i6x ECC83s or Tungsrams for Plexi style amps & 220x, occasionaly a Telefunken smooth plate or EI for PI.
power tubes are XF or anything RFT made (dimple tops), for semi-NOS I also dig true =C= .

I'm referencing the manufacturers here, branding is irrelevant. :dunno
there is no law, but in general I tend to prefer US tubes in Fender derived circuits, and European in Marshall, Vox etc types.
with Boogies, D-styles, Soldanos etc you just have to experiment to find the magic recipe, for me it's usually US style power tubes (Sylvania, TAD) and a mix of various preamp tubes, individually selected for that particular amp.

ymmv,
Rhino

Trending Topics

Top Bottom