Retubing used tube amp purchases

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lhrocker, Mar 31, 2020.

1. lhrocker

lhrocker Member

I picked up a few used tube amps over the past year including Blackstar Club 40 and Mesa DC-3. I got them for a bit less than the going price, so that's cool, but the Blackstar started getting microphonic. When buying used tube amps, do you normally go in with the thinking that you may or will retube once you get it? If doing a full retube, you're great deal may no longer be so good. Any thoughts?

2. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I rarely buy used tube amps, but when I do/did, I always went in with the notion I would re-tube with tubes of my own liking. I never let a re-tube alter my decision to buy (or not buy) an amp.

I even re-tube new amps I buy, usually with old (NOS/ANOS) glass.

ProfRhino, Kelly, Zonk and 3 others like this.
  3. Blinkon

Blinkon Member

Unless I know the seller well, I go into any used tube amp purchase that way. Just like a used car purchase, I’d be inspecting it and planning for some repairs.

HotBluePlates likes this.
  4. Zonk

Zonk Member

It's a nice surprise when you buy an amp online and it arrives with better tubes than you expected. That's not always the case though.

ProfRhino and HeavyCream like this.
  5. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

If it’s a relatively new amp, I don’t specifically plan on replacing the power tubes right away. If it’s an older amp, I typically plan on it. I don’t generally roll preamp tubes though.

But tubes are just part of the regular maintenance to me, especially since I’m able to turn my amps up. So I expect to replace them now or replace them later.

6. straightblues

straightblues Member

When I was young, whenever I bought an amp used I would put all new tubes in it. That is totally unnecessary. I just change them now when they need to be changed. Power tubes tend to sound dull when worn out, and preamp tubes tend to get microphonic.

I tend to buy vintage amps. It cost about $200 to get an old amp serviced and replace a couple of tubes. I just assume I am going to have to do this with every amp I buy. If adding $200 makes the amp "too expensive" then I don't buy it.

Regular maintenance is just part of owning a tube amp.

With your Blackstar, probably 1 tube has gone microphonic. Just replace that one tube. Take a wooden pencil and tap on your tubes. You will find out which tube is doing it. It will make an odd noise when you tap on it.

7. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Same here. New or used...NOS tubes go in.

8. kwicked

kwicked Silver Supporting Member

Always retube. I like having tubes in that i have confidence in - Power tubes i know are new or lightly used and especially preamp that are likely higher quality. You need spares anyway and when and if you sell the amp, you can pull your good ones and put the same set that came with it back in with no additional wear. I do make sure the tubes work as advertised for the purchase but other than that they are spares/back in when sell.

9. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

This.

Anything manufactured in the last decade, I don't plan on replacing glass. Most people selling amps <10 yrs-old haven't put many miles on them. Most stuff I've bought that has been produced between 2010 & 2020 has been in near mint condition but at roughly half the going new price.

Anything manufactured from 2000-2010, I still don't expect to replace glass, but would not be surprised if I had to. I at least ask if/when tubes were replaced. If they haven't been replaced in 10 years, then I'm asking well below going rate of the amp.

I usually don't buy anything pre 2000's anymore unless it's a classic. At that point I definitely plan on replacing glass unless seller indicates retubing has happened within the past decade.

Some people think tubes need to be replaced every year or so, but I have amp's with tons of miles on them that have had the same glass in them for 15 years. Once I change the tubes, I don't consider a retube unless things start acting funny.

10. 56Tweed

56Tweed Sub-Octave Member Silver Supporting Member

I agree with @Teleplayer, I factor in new tubes unless I think very highly of the seller and their choices for NOS glass. On the one hand, you can think of it like tires, they occasionally need to be replaced. Keep that in mind when considering the total cost of tube amp ownership.

ProfRhino likes this.
  11. WillLane

WillLane Member

Generally I go into a new or used amp purchase with the assumption I'll be replacing the tube complement shortly after receiving the amp. Unless for some reason the previous owner actually has good glass in there, but that is a rare case and often they still have the crappy unbranded China stock tubes in there. :crazy

andyk likes this.
  12. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

Any tube amp could need new power tubes. A 2 month old amp rode hard and put away wet, a 20 year old Marshall that the seller stuck junky old tubes in. I've never NOT replaced the power tubes in new to me amps.

13. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

At the rate most guys around here buy and sell amps, I’m surprised to see so many retubing any used amp they buy. That must get expensive for some people!

For me, if the amp is a keeper and I’ll be gigging with it, I’ll re-tube. If I’m on the fence about it or it’s just a home practice or recording amp, I won’t bother if they don’t need replacement.

Having a tube tester is very helpful of course.

HotBluePlates likes this.
  14. jlinde

jlinde Member

Very first thing I do is check the bias on power tubes. Then most definitely do some preamp tube rolling.

VaughnC, ProfRhino and Steppin' Wolfe like this.
  15. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

A lot of people don't know to remove the tubes and wrap them individually. It's not uncommon for tubes to go microphonic after shipping when they are still installed in the amp. Whenever you buy used ask the seller to remove and bubble wrap each tube.

16. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

When I buy it's generally a used piece (usually vintage). Regardless of how it's described I expect to do some basic maintenance and replace glass. I'll check what it has, test, listen and decide if I need to replace. I have a large enough spare stash to do that whenever needed.

HotBluePlates and Steppin' Wolfe like this.
  17. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I usually retube a lot of my amps that I buy used with NOS tubes (pre-amp and power). Not always the case though. It also depends on how old the amp is as well.

18. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

If the amp sounds good, I don't re-tube it.

If the amp sounds bad, I don't buy it.

straightblues likes this.
  19. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

I almost always re-tube every used amp I buy. First I go through the amp with my soldering iron, contact cleaner, and canned air and magnifying glasses then I check for microphonics or obvious visual issues in the tubes then they go into the tube drawers I have as "extras". The only times I do not re-tube is if I immediately love how it sounds and feels and thats pretty rare. Since a lengthy convo I had with Bob Pletka many years ago I have used JJ's almost exclusively so that's the tone and feel I love. Occasionally I will try some of the NOS pre-tubes I have amassed but they mostly sit in little boxes in my tube drawers.

Oh and I normally will only buy an amp that is a crazy good deal in case I have to flip it. You wouldnt believe what I paid for my Mark V 90w combo..

20. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Full assessment of every acquisition is mandatory, for me. I never give more than it is worth with the expense of getting the amp in proper operating condition, whether that is a resurrection, a recap/service/retube, or just some tubes. Always I want to know the voltages and the biasing...even if it is a newer amp. I have to have a baseline understanding of it.

ProfRhino and Laurence like this.