• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Return of Tampitump!

Tampitump

I debated what to title this thread. It came down to "Tampitump Strikes Again." or the other that inevitably got used! Lol

So if you've followed my saga of trials and triumphs, you know that I'm looking for the right gear to buy. Initially I thought the answer was a friendman be-100. But now I'm thinking a more cost-effective and wiser approach will get the rig with the sound I'm going for. So my questions are these.

20-watts. What is it capable of doing? I doubt any of the venues I will be playing immediately will be very large, but I will be pushing to get to those larger shows so I want to buy gear that is ready for it, whenever it happens. I'd like not to have to keep buying expensive amps frequently for size reasons if I can help it. So what is 20-watts capable of?

For a good late 80s skid row/extreme style tone. How good is the new ADA MP-1 Channel pedal? I just discovered this today and want to know if anyone here is using it or has used it and what they think of it. How good would it be if I used it through the effects loop of the Jet City JCA22H?

I've been wanting to get one of the higher-end modded plexi style heads like the BE or the quick rod but thought maybe I should look to something with less wattage to start for a more cost-effective way of having the same sound. So how good is the splawn super sport for that? And how would an amp of it's size be for gigging in venues of various sizes?

mrwhipple

Gold Supporting Member
Have you looked at the Friedman Smallbox or Pink Taco? Both are less watts but great tones.

Tampitump

Have you looked at the Friedman Smallbox or Pink Taco? Both are less watts but great tones.
Yes, both out of my price range right now. Trying to get that sound cheaper basically. Everything I hear from the Splawns pretty much nail the sound I'm going for and they are not quite as pricey as Friedman. I'm just wondering if a 20 watt amp would be a good investment. I'm not playing in large venues right now, but I'm just trying to plan for the future because I intend to get to the point of player larger places. Just wondering if 20 watts will do the job? Or is it better to invest in more wattage?

BTW, I was wondering if anyone on this forum has a video demo of a splawn super sport head with the guitar just plugged straight into the amp? There are plenty of videos on youtube of the combo version (which sounds great on every video) but I just wanted to hear a good demo of the head.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Not all 20W amps are equal. Different 20W amps will result in different loudnesses. It's also dependent on the efficiency of the speaker. You should contact the manufacturer of each amp and ask if they've played them with a band.

Also, larger placed will have PAs and monitors, so the amp volume doesn't really matter. Also, you could always later get a re-amper, like the Unleash, and use it to get up to 100W out of your rig.

Trending Topics