Return of the Kauer Banshee...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by big mike, Jan 28, 2015.

1. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Love it.

I dig how Doug revised it to make it NOT a replica and has his own thing gonig on with them.

Especially in the Scott Holiday finish as I call it. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love my original...but man that red one with binding and 2 P90's is sick

Roe, enharmonic and guitarnut_1 like this.
  2. sleewell

sleewell Member

I love it. the blue one that was posted yesterday was my favorite.

3. big mike

Yeah that one is cool too, the pellum blue looking one? Badass.

I'm a sucker for red guitars, but the caddy green with pinstriping and TV Jones is pretty awesome too.

4. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I'm totally fine with tweaking the curves - and I think he did a great job doing so.

But if you're gonna do that, make the pickguard match the cutaway. That's buggin' me when I look at it.

Finish is spectacular, though. RIVAL SONS BABY!

5. big mike

Well I'm anxious to play one. Knowing doug he fixed the short comings of the original model. He never put gibson on the headstock or did anything shady in that regard at all.

I find it funny Gibson tosses around C&D's for stuff they didn't defend for decades.

6. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

7. bumblefingers

bumblefingers Member

dougk, would love to see an explorer-inspired thing! Stretch that body just a hair more and you are there

8. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

9. whitepapagold

whitepapagold Member

Funny after gassing for a Banshee I found out Rival Sons rehearses in the same building as my luthier!

Glad these are back... Or maybe not... I don't need another guitar...

But these make me want one! Killer!

10. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Well can't win them all. Honestly, here's the deal: I knew there was going to be push back from some people about this and I get it. I don't have a ton of choice here but in the long run, this is something I've wanted to do for years. Honestly, I'm biased but after hanging them side by side it makes the "original" look frumpy AND ironically, we're closer to the original 1964 Firebird shape than the trademarked current production version (they ARE different).

But hey, the upside is, there's still a company out there building the crappier version of mine you can buy cheaper than ours anyways ;)

Thanks! I know what you mean on the PG. This were the first three off the CNC and I only had 2 months to do these after clearing "legal". So to tweak that PG I need to move that middle of the curve screw and change the switch cavity some, it ran out of meat for the screw to go into.

11. Route234

Route234 Member

I dont blame Gibson. When you start seeing copies of your guitars with big name artists playing them then its just a business move to make your staff lawyers do the C & D thing. No question the original Banshees were a direct copy of a Gibson model.

12. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Without admitting wrongdoing, you are mostly correct.

I was perfectly legal when I started building these 7 years ago, Gibson trademarked everything in the line 3 years ago. It's why they are getting sued by so many companies over the 335 trademark. Their own precedent with losing to PRS will dictate they will lose all of these trademarks they filed 3 years ago.

And again, there isn't a single person on earth who has ever heard me blame Gibson for sending us the C&D. Legally withstanding in court aside, if you don't attempt to defend them you lose them. I'm frankly glad because I've wanted to change this design for years but was never able too. Honestly, I've been wanting them to send me a C&D for years just so I could make these changes and improvements.

13. big mike

I do blame gibson. It's just as bad as fender trying to trademark body shapes 40 years after the fact. (or trying to trademark circuits taken from RCA manuals.)

Cows are gone. little late to fix the barn door.
    It's not like Doug was being underhanded and putting 'gibson' on them. Most of his iterations weren't something Gibby even offered. He did the tuners before they did, lots of little things they'd never do. They always clearly said "Kauer" and never had any chance/intent to shine anyone on.

And IMO..if they built a quality guitar I actually liked to play, I'd own one. Coming up, I was nothing but a gibson ho. Slash was my hero, Clapton, you name it. I had a couple les pauls with issues. I went looking for firebirds, V's, Explorers, you name it. Never could find one that did it 'right' for me until I found Doug's banshee. (and Hamer Vector and Standards).

I love the new touches.

14. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

The Firebird shape is really such an odd duck. The more you look at it from all the angles the more 'wrong' it is and that's including the headstock. I've messed around with 'correcting' it for years and it's never quite right so I'll say fair play to anyone that's willing to take it on and put something out there.

15. scott

scott Supporting Member

I love it, especially the red one.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    GainStage likes this.
  16. Route234

Route234 Member

Its a business and they are there to make $. Its a big deal to them and I have no problem with them even though I think if Doug had had big time $ to kick back he may have even been able to win in court.

No question the one Kauer I played was better in quality than just about anything Ive seen from Gibson.

I dont think Doug had any intentions of doing anything negative to Gibson or ripping anyone off or anything, but the body shape and style was a copy and I cant blame Gibson for cracking down on it after the Rival Sons started getting video'ed and photographed with the guitars as well. Seems like a smart business play on their part and Doug seems to have plenty of models that people want that have nothing anyone can sue him over. I dont see where Gibson should worry about his "intent" and I certainly dont see any ill intent on Dougs part.

17. big mike

I understand it, I just think it's ********.

Golden rule. They obviously have more $$ than doug.
    They pulled that **** on PRS and got their asses handed to them.

18. serial

serial Member

This is WINNING.

19. Route234

Route234 Member

And in the long run they have done him a favor. Hes one of the few guys making it with designs that arent a total ripoff of everyone else and the new Banshees look better than the Firebirds which I was never crazy about to begin with.

20. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

Oh man those look awesome! WANT!