• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

returning a guitar in a private transaction?

fofig

Hi guys,

I am discussing a guitar with somebody. He seems legit we discussed on the phone and the transaction could go to an end.

He says that he would be happy to send me the guitar for 2 weeks and if I am not happy I can send it back on my expenses and he will refund.
And if there exists a system that sort of keep the money of a transaction on hold, he would be happy to do that.

Otherwise I basically have to trust him.

For the guitar its self I will pay with paypal so I will have their coverage for damage/scams, but does it exist a way to put a sort of a transaction on hold?

Any advice?

ToneDeVille

Two weeks approval time is more than generous. I'd know within 10 min if the guitar was a keeper or not.
But does Paypal offer a delayed payment feature pending delivery and approval?

edwarddavis

Silver Supporting Member
If your that unsure don’t buy on line
I do it all the time but no matter what you do it’s not risk free
It’s not fir everyone just my opinion

to answer your question I don’t think pay pal does that unless there’s a issue
But he can refund you through pay pal
But there are other ways that it can be done

someguyfromnc

As long as it matches pictures and description the guy is being more than generous. It's usually buy as is with a lot of pictures. I would never consider buying something I'm not sure of and returning it later on in a non local private sale. That is just wasting the other guys time.

dconeill

Silver Supporting Member
... I am discussing a guitar with somebody. He seems legit ... I basically have to trust him. ... Any advice?

From your original post, my interpretation is that you clearly don't trust the transaction, and therefore don't trust the seller. It doesn't sound like you distrust the seller in particular, but have distrust in the whole process, which has led you to distrust the seller. The distrust seems to weigh heavily on you.

So don't do the transaction. Find another way to buy a guitar that has more formal protections in place. Probably the best option would be to buy in person from a store.

Bullseye092

Silver Supporting Member
I've been buying, selling, and trading for gaining on 3 decades now.... that being said, a two week sight unseen guarantee from a private seller, especially in this day and age, sounds a little too good to be true. It would make me wary. What I've found over the years.... if it feels "off" to your gut, listen to it and it usually isn't wrong. The few times I've ignored that have usually cost me sleep, and a lot of time of the phone in a dispute process, along with frustration and anger. If you buy used privately, plan on it being "your" guitar and having to flip it if it doesn't gel with you. I agree also with the remark of the seller seeming too eager.

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
I've let someone on here return a guitar to me after a week or so. I can't speak for others but as long as the other person is reasonable about it and not making stuff up I'd rather not have people unhappy with a transaction.

Tonelover

Silver Supporting Member
My ears also perked up with some suspicion. Maybe he's a great guy who just wants you to be happy, I don't know. I do know that I wouldn't do the deal with that as a contingency plan. I would make sure I'm comfortable enough that the guitar will stand on it's merits and that there is some merchant protection should it not be as described. Otherwise, I buy it I own it.

Mtt02263

Just make sure to pay with PayPal goods and services. Keep track of your correspondence and you can always provide that to PayPal to get your money back. You shouldn't need a holding period for the money, they'll refund you if there's an issue, at least in my experience.

SAB54

Silver Supporting Member
You can use a service like Escrow.com, but there are fees associated with the transaction.

pepedede

As long as it matches pictures and description the guy is being more than generous. It's usually buy as is with a lot of pictures. I would never consider buying something I'm not sure of and returning it later on in a non local private sale. That is just wasting the other guys time.

Pictures and a description is all you have to go on and fall back on.

It's sold as seen and as described. Paypal won't refund just because you "aren't bonding with it".

ChrisP

would be leary being on either side *unless* this guitar was in less than mint condition. 1 tiny scratch for some people is an immediate NO/used vs. like new/mint

It is awfully generous of the seller

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
You can use a service like Escrow.com, but there are fees associated with the transaction.

Came in to say this. I've never used one of these escrow services but they do exist. Also, you can force a refund through PayPal if you don't use Friends and Family.

UncleJesse

Silver Supporting Member
Came in to say this. I've never used one of these escrow services but they do exist. Also, you can force a refund through PayPal if you don't use Friends and Family.

This. Paypal essentially guarantees a 180 day return period on a goods and services transaction. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of this though. Most of my deals are in the acoustic world and almost always friends and family but we still offer return periods just based on the honor system.

Steely Dave

You’re obviously not comfortable with the process. Don’t do the transaction. Buy off Reverb/eBay or new from a reputable dealer.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom