Reunion Blues Continental & Monocase M80

I'm currently deciding again between buying a Mono M80 or Reunion Blues Continental gig bag after narrowing down these two brands from everything else out there. I have read up about them both here on the boards and I have a few questions to those of you who have used both or either.

Reunion Blue Continental:
This bag looks to be a bit more drop worthy. Granted I baby my guitars during travel but life happens and it looks to be a bit more rugged than the M80. As for the straps I've heard that the guitar sits rather high with them and I'm just over six feet tall and wanted to know if this is true. I'd imagine the case would swing about a bit if I lengthened the straps too much. I have also read reports of the bags being a bit loose fitting for guitars. I would be transporting my PRS Singlecut Trem in the guitar and I'd like for the fit to be as snug as possible without having the guitar bounce around inside. There is also a lot of hate now that RB was sold and is now manufactured in China. Frankly I don't care where a product is made as long as the quality is there for the money I am spending. Has the quality seriously dropped that much if any since RB was sold?

Mono M80:
Looks a good deal softer than the RB but I still hear good things about its protection so any testaments there as far as drops or falls while traveling with the bag? Ideally I want to purchase a single guitar bag and want the bulk of any responses to pertain to those models but there is a lot of love for the double bag. I currently don't need a double as I only have one guitar that is a keeper at the moment. Would anyone recommend getting one of the double bags now to transport one guitar until I get another that will be a keeper? Would the extra size be more cumbersome for a single guitar application? If the double bag really is that great and not obtuse in size for carrying a single guitar I would prefer to get the double now for future planning purposes.

Any help is appreciated.

dtfan4ever

I have a double M80 and I don't just use it to carry two guitars. I am also going use it to carry one guitar + pedal board to keep my hands free (board is being built). I am using public transportation in a city with 7 million people and things get awfully tight. That way I can hold on to something when I'm on the bus or train. So the double bag is good for that too. =) It's not too bulky. About the size of a standard acoustic gigbag. Easy to move around with. (I'm 5'7" and can fit through all standard doorways with the bag on my shoulders.

I don't have a single M80 or the RB, but have spent plenty of time comparing the single M80 with the RB continental. Aside from the exterior ruggedness, I also spent a lot of time comparing the other features. Pocket sizes and locations. Straps. Other design features. While the RB is a bit more rugged on the exterior and has that nice plush interior, the M80 just seemed like it was designed better overall.

LSchefman

As between the two bags, the RB bag seems to be the more heavily "constructed". The Mono bag has a plusher inside edge material, that seems less likely to scratch the rims of the guitar, should it move inside the bag.

I had a really hard time deciding between them, and then stumbled onto an Incase bag that Fender sells with the Mayer Strat, that I liked a little better, though it lacks an interior strap to hold the neck in place. But a lot depends on how you use a bag, there really isn't a "best" one. For example, I don't care for using backpack straps with a gig bag, I like to hold the guitar next to me; the Incase came with messenger bag style straps in addition to the concealable backpack straps, so that was also a plus for me that you may never need.

Nice review of the mono in one of the mags; the only drawback seems to be that it rides high on the back:

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/mono-m80-gig/jan-08/33243

My feeling was that all of these bags, the RB, the Incase, and the Mono are the best gig bag/cases I've seen, and are roughly comparable, so it comes down to preference.

I might add that I've had great luck in the past with the original leather Reunion Blues bags, and though they're not made to survive a drop like these newer bag/case models, are still worth considering if you're reasonably careful with your guitar.

Like you, incidentally, I'm a PRS player.

CJDM

I have a RB continental and would gladly carry any guitar in it - even if forced togate check. However, 2 downsides - your PRS will float (I generally use it for PRS Standards or an SC245) and it is rather bulky.

Recommend you compare the dimensions of the mono - the RB could be much shorter, less wide, and less thick with same protection

I have a double M80 and I don't just use it to carry two guitars. I am also going use it to carry one guitar + pedal board to keep my hands free (board is being built). I am using public transportation in a city with 7 million people and things get awfully tight. That way I can hold on to something when I'm on the bus or train. So the double bag is good for that too. =) It's not too bulky. About the size of a standard acoustic gigbag. Easy to move around with. (I'm 5'7" and can fit through all standard doorways with the bag on my shoulders.

I don't have a single M80 or the RB, but have spent plenty of time comparing the single M80 with the RB continental. Aside from the exterior ruggedness, I also spent a lot of time comparing the other features. Pocket sizes and locations. Straps. Other design features. While the RB is a bit more rugged on the exterior and has that nice plush interior, the M80 just seemed like it was designed better overall.
What made the overall design better in your opinion? I hear that a lot when it comes to these bags but nothing specific. I'm just looking for whatever details I can get since I haven't found either of these bags locally to go over personally.

As between the two bags, the RB bag seems to be the more heavily "constructed". The Mono bag has a plusher inside edge material, that seems less likely to scratch the rims of the guitar, should it move inside the bag.

I had a really hard time deciding between them, and then stumbled onto an Incase bag that Fender sells with the Mayer Strat, that I liked a little better, though it lacks an interior strap to hold the neck in place. But a lot depends on how you use a bag, there really isn't a "best" one. For example, I don't care for using backpack straps with a gig bag, I like to hold the guitar next to me; the Incase came with messenger bag style straps in addition to the concealable backpack straps, so that was also a plus for me that you may never need.

Nice review of the mono in one of the mags; the only drawback seems to be that it rides high on the back:

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/mono-m80-gig/jan-08/33243

My feeling was that all of these bags, the RB, the Incase, and the Mono are the best gig bag/cases I've seen, and are roughly comparable, so it comes down to preference.

I might add that I've had great luck in the past with the original leather Reunion Blues bags, and though they're not made to survive a drop like these newer bag/case models, are still worth considering if you're reasonably careful with your guitar.

Like you, incidentally, I'm a PRS player.
I am not going to bother with an Incase bag even with all the rave reviews. Now that they aren't made anymore and my only way to acquire one would be used which I don't want to do for a number of reasons. I've got nothing against used gear but I'd like to be able to return the bag if I find I don't like it or make a warranty claim down the line if needed on something like this.

As for the RB do you feel the interior would be rough enough to disturb a guitar's finish?

I have a RB continental and would gladly carry any guitar in it - even if forced togate check. However, 2 downsides - your PRS will float (I generally use it for PRS Standards or an SC245) and it is rather bulky.

Recommend you compare the dimensions of the mono - the RB could be much shorter, less wide, and less thick with same protection
I just checked over the specs and internally the RB is shorter for the overall body length but has a wider upper bout. To me they a pretty even since I'd want whatever case I get to be tight already and they are interchangeable at that point. How much does your SC245 float in the bag and is it more of a side to side motion or the guitar moving against the front and back of the bag?

dtfan4ever

What made the overall design better in your opinion? I hear that a lot when it comes to these bags but nothing specific. I'm just looking for whatever details I can get since I haven't found either of these bags locally to go over personally.
I found the top pocket design on the M80 a lot more useful than the top pocket on the RB with that silly zipper that runs through the middle.

I liked the neck securing strap better on the M80. One big thing that also has a little pouch with a clear plastic to see what is in the pocket as opposed to the two stringy type straps with velcro on the RB.

Both bags have a very spacious main pocket. The RB may be a bit more spacious as it was designed with a computer pocket (IIRC). The M80 wasn't designed with this purpose in mind.

The M80 also has a pocket where the back pack straps can be hidden which I use for my sheet music. They stay totally straight in there while my main pocket holds other objects.

tatoi

Not sure about the RB, but I'm using a M80 for my Tokai 335. Really comfortable case and seems reliable so far. A friend of mine has had issues with the pocket taring a bit though.

I would also check out iGIG guitar cases. My next guitar case purchase will probably be one of those.
http://www.flyigig.com/

SAMO

I just went through the same thing looking for a gig bag for my hollowbody Gretsch. Went with the Mono case and couldn't be happier. I'm 6 feet tall and the Reunion Blues rode WAY too high. The Mono case is super comfortable and I feel like my guitar is protected from everything up to jumping on the case, which I wouldn't do anyways.

landru64

Silver Supporting Member
a friend loaned me his RB to use with my sadowsky ss15. immediately i hated it because the guitar rides so high given where the straps are mounted that it is top heavy... and it runs into things. i have a ritter bag like that and i can't stand it. i even wrote RB a letter about it.

my dad used the RB to take a banjo with him on a plane and we were never concerned about impact resistance.

though not nearly as protective, i use mooradian gig bags pretty much exclusively.

Not sure about the RB, but I'm using a M80 for my Tokai 335. Really comfortable case and seems reliable so far. A friend of mine has had issues with the pocket taring a bit though.

I would also check out iGIG guitar cases. My next guitar case purchase will probably be one of those.
http://www.flyigig.com/
Any chance do you know if the tear was from normal usage or a snag of some sort?

That video is just plain crazy lol. Clearly the bag is built tough but I honestly find it hard to get past the aesthetics and limited warranty. All that aside I love that the bag has a full length neck support which I wish the RB and M80 also had. I'll keep the iGig in mind for now.

I just went through the same thing looking for a gig bag for my hollowbody Gretsch. Went with the Mono case and couldn't be happier. I'm 6 feet tall and the Reunion Blues rode WAY too high. The Mono case is super comfortable and I feel like my guitar is protected from everything up to jumping on the case, which I wouldn't do anyways.
a friend loaned me his RB to use with my sadowsky ss15. immediately i hated it because the guitar rides so high given where the straps are mounted that it is top heavy... and it runs into things. i have a ritter bag like that and i can't stand it. i even wrote RB a letter about it.

my dad used the RB to take a banjo with him on a plane and we were never concerned about impact resistance.

though not nearly as protective, i use mooradian gig bags pretty much exclusively.
Thanks for posting guys because this is one of my concerns. Did the bag still ride high even after adjustments or become uncomfortable to travel with at that point?

landru64

Silver Supporting Member
the placement of the straps is not adjustable. they are too near the midline of the case. the height is bad but also it means if you carry it in a casual fashion meaning just one strap on a shoulder (which is pretty common), if you bend over to pick something up, the guitar tends to swing to a horizontal position. bad design. but if the purpose were to take something on a plane and not have it be a hard bulky case. it might be worth the frustration.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I've settled on the M80 case now. Thanks for everyone's help.

Edit:
I will be on the the lookout for some memory foam to extend the neck padding a bit more though.

Last edited:

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe check out the Suhr gig bags. If I didn't have my Incase bag, I would get the Suhr bag

LSchefman

>>I am not going to bother with an Incase bag even with all the rave reviews. Now that they aren't made anymore and my only way to acquire one would be used which I don't want to do for a number of reasons. I've got nothing against used gear but I'd like to be able to return the bag if I find I don't like it or make a warranty claim down the line if needed on something like this.<<

I see you found what you wanted, but I thought I'd answer this anyway. Actually, Incase are still apparently making the bag; it's kind of hidden on their website. That's why Fender can still offer them with their new instruments. And inside, it has the Incase logo along with the John Mayer tag. Here's a link to their site:

http://goincase.com/pdf/contentmgmt/incaseguitarbagsbrochure.pdf

I bought mine brand-new only a few weeks ago at my local Guitar Center. Maybe they took the JM Strat out of it because a customer wanted a hard case instead? Or simply got an extra bag from Fender? I have no idea. But when I went there, the guy came out with the bag and it was both new and empty. There were no marks of a guitar having lived in it, and it even had a couple of those silica gel packs inside. So it was definitely new.

I forgot to mention that the Incase has a substantially longer neck support than the M80 or RB Bag. The neck support is 14 inches. I measured it. I suppose one could add a strap, though my PRS doesn't jiggle in the bag. There are two side pouches on either side of the neck support that seem to keep it in place.

When I looked at the neck supports on the mono or RB case, they looked like they were only 4-6 inches long. I didn't feel comfortable with that, even though I don't throw my guitar off rooftops (though I do skydive with it). Just kidding about the skydiving part...

>>As for the RB do you feel the interior would be rough enough to disturb a guitar's finish?<<

Well, honestly, the Incase bag I bought has a similar kind of what appears to be a nylon mesh material along the rims, too. Both are pretty soft feeling materials, but they aren't that soft fuzzy stuff. Whether it poses a risk to the guitar finish I can't say. I'd imagine that if the guitar moved a lot in the bag, it could theoretically create some swirls along the edge of the guitar. To prevent this remote possibility, I'll probably throw a microfiber cloth along the edge on a longer trip.

I keep my guitars in their hard cases, but for a nearby gig, being able to put one of them into a soft bag that weighs less and is easy to handle is just such a convenience that I can't resist! ;)

Last edited:

mjtripper

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a little late to thread but I'm also an incase fan and when they stopped making them I searched long and hard for a replacement and the closest I found was the access bags stage five. It's a very nice bag with the added feature of a velcro strap to secure the neck which is really the only thing I thought was missing from the incase. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't already purchased one.

bgood

Silver Supporting Member
My beef with the continental is that when you open up the zipper it doesn't open smoothly. The "hinge" side collapses and I'm always fumbling with it to get it open. It does ride high but definitely makes it more stable. I trek around NYC with mine alot and I find it really easy to carry on my back and I know my guitars are safe. I would only use it for angled headstocks since I find my G&L bag to be easier to deal with and fine for my Fender style necks.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
For a soft case/gig bag, the Incase is heavier than many hardship cases. Still love mine, but the Suhr gig bag is close to the Incase for only $139.

LSchefman

>>the Incase is heavier than many hardship cases<<

Gosh I hope you meant hardshell and not hardship!

'Cause I have seen some pretty big folks with hardships! ;)

Trending Topics