Revamping my OD choices - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Feb 8, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey all,

So many choices for OD! Well, for the last few years my OD selection has basically been limited to the OD channel from my Mesa for really over the top stuff, and a Blue FDII (old version, no toggle) for a clean boost and low gain/singing OD.

I recently picked up a Timmy and am very very happy with it, but i am torn between using it for a clean boost, EQ-ish effect on all the time or a low gain, gritty OD/boost.

I am in the process of trying to revamp my OD section altogether, and am considering replacing the FDII. I have heard so much about so many of these newer OD pedala dn would like some suggestions.

I play mainly funk/rock/jam/spacey stuff and don't have a lot of use for super high gain pedals. I have been thinking of using the Timmy as my first stage OD/Boost, and ordering an Analogman Silver TS9 for my second stage OD. I may also order a second Timmy to pull duties as an EQ/Clean boost. Any other suggestions for pedals to look out for? Would a Zendrive fit into my style?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. drolling

drolling Member

Ahh- you like Timmy?

Amazing how that little guy just raises the bar for all effects in general. I'm currently waiting on another one & a Tim, to take advantage of some of the nice new EQs & comps in the effects loop. With the right pedals in the loop, I'm figuring Tim may well render a few more of my old stomps obsolete.

There's something about the edgy chartacter of Timmy's high end that makes TS type pedals sound lifeless & muddy by comparison.

Have you tried an MI Audio Blues Pro? It shares some of the raw, grainy qualities that I like about Timmy, and at $89 (and no waiting!) it's a no-brainer.

When his new & improved Blues Boy's shipping, I'll also be ordering one of those..

EDIT: Just went to Michael's site to check on the BluesBoy Deluxe & noticed he's out of stock on the BluesPro till April. Maybe Musictoyz still has them.

I also noticed you mentioned Zendrive in your post. Nice pedal, but I don't use mine much since I got the BluesPro..

3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Why would you order a modded TS9 when you already have one in the FDII? Save space maybe?:confused:

Anyway I find the Zendrive to be KILLER for blues/fusion leads with a bridge HB but a little lackluster with single coils. For bluesy singlecoil leads I prefer a TS type pedal especially when using the neck pickup.

4. erksin

erksin Member

You should check out MI Audio's Blue Boy Deluxe when it becomes available - I have an original Blue Boy and it is such a versatile pedal. It'll do TS-type stuff, but has so much more depth, complexity, and harmonics than any TS pedal I've owned. Pairs incredibly well with the Timmy, whether you stack it or use them separately - they sound like extensions of each other IMO - seamless gain changes...

5. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Look for a used Zoom PD-01. Its a boost/OD with bass and treble knobs that is a TRUE clean boost with the gain knob at min. An OD with the gain knob down is still clipping the signal however slightly (it may be a booster but its not really a CLEAN booster). The PD-01 actually has separate dedicated boost and OD circuits. Another more expensive but better take on this theme is the xotic RC booster.

6. tmd187

tmd187 Member

I have owned several of Analogmans TS-9/808/Silver pedals, and the word several should indicate just how much I think and love about this pedal. It's a no brainer when it comes to overdrive for me! I love the sound of those old TS-808, and since they cost $400, I'll settle for the "almost same" sound with an Analogman Pedal. I use mine for more of a Distortion, and use the other for a nice slight OD on my Clean patterns, really lets those notes ring! I would recommend a TS-9/808/Silver, if you are looking for a really good OD pedal, but there are alot of them out there, that's just my opinion!

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hi trumpus,

I had exactly the same decision to make with my Timmy. I originally purchased it as a clean boost to replace my Fulltone Fatboost which I found over-thick sounding on the low strings. I was using a Fulldrive FD2 as my sole overdrive at the time but after sampling the transparent low gain overdrive character of the Timmy I couldn't use the FD2 anymore and I then had to decide what to use Timmy for.

In the end I got an RC Booster to do the dedicated clean boost job. I've ordered a TIM to have some of the functionality that the FD2 had with the boost while maintaining that unique open overdrive I now have to have. I've also ordered a BJF Honey Bee for a different amp-like character that should sit well with TIM.

I'll let you know how it all goes!

8. ajric

ajric Member

Blues pro, Blue boy, Crunch Box and Tube Zone from www.miaudio.com

Cheers
    Anthony

9. trumpus

WIth regards to Timmy vs. Tim - is there any difference between having 2 Timmys vs 1 Tim (ie, does the Tim have any differences?) I I was going to order another Timmy, should i just order the Tim and sell my Timmy instead?

I am going to order the MI Audio Blues Pro today and I am going to have Keith at Aramat mod my FD. If i don't like - then i'll get rid of it. What kind of OD is the BFJE Honey Bee? I know they are expensive, and being short on cash right now, i'd be leaning towards trying the less expensive ods (another Timmy, Blues pro, Silver TS9, Zen Drive).

I tend to sway towards the more low-gain, smooth, fusion/jazzy OD's rather than the high gain stuff, if this helps in making recommendations.

Thanks for all the great input so far though!!

Brian

10. drolling

drolling Member

One of the best I've ever heard. Reactive, dynamic - every setting's useful. Bjorn has a knack for voicing his pedals so that nothing goes to waste.

But it is understated, by the standards that most overdrives are judged. I seem to recall you found Timmy to be more subtle than you expected. The HB's even moreso, but in a totally different way. While Timmy's got a raw grainyness and a sparkling high end, the HoneyBee's tones are warm and burnished. Not a huge amount of gain - very *amp-like* response, but thick & throaty rather than 'transparent'.

11. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

2 Timmys do not equal 1 Tim. The Tim's boost feature has more gain and compression than the Timmy is capable of. Also, the Tim has an effects loop which is really hip. I'm sure that someone else here will chime in with more detail - I just ordered a Tim last night and that's what Paul told me as far as the differences.

12. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Consider a Proanalog Dual Drive...I've had many OD's, and this one just floored me...definitely worth a listen!

13. Craise

Craise Member

Drolling's right on...Honey Bee is sweet pedal...and stacks great with the Timmy. But if you think you have the low gain covered...check out the BJF Dyna Red for marahall sounds and EGDM for Vox, depending on what flavor you want. They can do higher gain...but I set mine about midway and play with my guitar's volume knob...roll to 10 for solos and roll back 7-8 for rhy. BJF's do this in spades, the lighter you pick the more clean and the more you dig in the more dirt you get, like a cranked amp. I'd say save your modding money and money spent on another TS type pedal and check out a something different...if not BJF...menatone or maybe a Fuzz. Good Luck! :)

14. trumpus

I think i have a few other choices for light gain OD stacking with the Timmy. The HB sounds perfect, just a little out of my price range right now. I think i'll still try the MI AUdio Blues pro and get my FDII modded and see, with the idea that i can always sell the extras and pick up a HB.

I've also got a Zvex SHO which i got from a GP member - but it came broken in the mail. It is currently back with Zack getting repaired, but i planned to use this mainly as an on-all-the-time type deal, to clean things up and give me a sparkliness...any other suggestions? I also considered just selling it (i got the Timmy around the same time and it has just totally revolutionized my thinking about OD pedals) and picking up some kind of weirder Zvex effect

As for high gain, i play a Mesa DC3, and use the OD channel of the mesa for all of my (albeit limited) high gain needs.

Brian