1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

REVEALED / Quarantine Boredom: Blind Amp Shootout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bxlxaxkxe, May 7, 2020.

A or B?

1. Amp A

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. Amp B

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  1. Ken

Ken Silver Supporting Member

Amp A has a low mid thing which reminds me of the Bogner tone.

2. White Limo

White Limo Member

They sounded very similar to me but B by a smidge.

3. jmelm

jmelm Silver Supporting Member

So when are you going to disclose the amps?

4. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

Not sure exactly but probably pretty soon

5. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

Standalone, I preferred the less bright A. But as others have said, in a mix with bass and drums, it might not be the best.

I prefer to listen to amps with a backing track for that reason. It's all about how they work in context of a band or recording.

6. Radius

Radius Member

Home of Les Paul, Lambeau Field , Harley Davidson
    Both sound good. Maybe too much the same to matter.

7. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

AMP A is the Bogner Goldfinger Superlead in '81 mode

AMP B is the 1980 Marshall JMP 2203

Both were being pushed by a Maxon OD808

I wasn't trying to make these sound the same, but was capturing how I've been setting each one up lately. Similar vibe, slightly different flavors.

Hope it was enjoyable and everyone is doing well.

8. harvey j

harvey j Member

You had amp b louder than A

9. Pongo

Pongo Member

If we're just listening to the guitar and amp, I preferred A. But as others have said, both sound good, and in the context of a band, B would likely cut better and be more complimentary to the mix.

Relevant anecdote: I own a GF SL45, and it pretty much lives on the '68 (crunch) and '77 (gain) channels. More than enough gain for lil' old me... and the one time I accidentally stuck it on '81, I immediately vanished into the mix. That said, '81 has the least volume of the three gain options, and I didn't spend any time trying to EQ my way out of the mess, but it's probably relevant to the concerns I had listening to A and B here.