Revelator Guitar Works

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Lo Blues, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Lo Blues

Lo Blues Member

Just wondering what folks think about E's guitars. Do they sound/play as good as they look? I think they look worlds better than other relics from the other companies (imho). I mean A Lot better (imo)! Don't get me wrong I think some of the other companies that make relics do a fine job. But have you seen the Revelator website? That Mary Kaye white 's' guitar with the rosewood neck is amazing!

2. 73watermutt

73watermutt Member

yeah he does some amazing work

3. jw112

jw112 Member

i've been looking at them too. they "look" killer. i've never played one and i'm nervous about paying 3g's for a guitar i've never played. especially after playing another company's (out of respect i will not say who, but a lot of people here like them) relic style strat and being far from impressed.

i too would love to hear feedback on their stuff

4. Lo Blues

Lo Blues Member

Yeah, the the main problem with most of the small companies is you can't just walk into Guitar Center and play one (or 5). You have have to have faith in crappy mp3 clips, YouTube videos, and reviews on Harmony Central. Unless you have a cool music shop in your area that carries that stuff (thumbs up to cool guitar stores). It be cool if people like E would mail out demos of the stuff they build. Especially with relics, don't gotta worry bout no dings in the finish. I don't know maybe that's not a great idea but I agree with you, gotta play it first. I don't get how people buy guitars off musicians friend etc.

5. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I have 3 Revelators, and you may want to read my post about them and a few other "branded" and no-name relics I have here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=4893961

There's no simple solution for the inability to play the guitars of small builders. The only thing I've found is shop hard for a used one and if it doesn't work for you, resell it for as much as you can (and hopefully about what you paid for it). Almost all of my guitars have been purchased on the internet. A few things have increased my success buying online over the past few years, such as:

• Nailing down my specs so I know exactly what neck thickness/shape, fretboard radius, fret size, etc work best for me
    • Adjusting pickups for maximum results
    • Getting a great setup and fretwork if needed

I don't get into saying builders are better/worse than others. I've sold guitars that did nothing for me or didn't work for me and the new owners are blissfully happy with them. So as much as I believe a few select builders really have tapped into consistently building exceptional guitars (and the resale value of those guitars may indicate that), there are many, many other builders that build great guitars that simply appeal to some folks and not others.

Eric's guitars have consistently worked great for me. For the alt-country/roots/americana music I play, I go for pretty conventional/vintage tones and Revs deliver what I'm looking for. I've never played any other Revs than mine, but each of them have made me extremely happy I found them. I have more Revs than any other brand I own, and that's probably the best recommendation I can give them.

I have no idea if they'd ever work for anyone else. You'll never know until you try one, just like I don't know if a Danocaster/K-Line/etc (guitars I've never been able to try, but hope to some day) would work for me.

As far as I can tell, Eric has made comparatively few guitars. I do broad internet searches for them all the time, and I've never seen a rash of people posting about them anywhere. They don't come up very often for sale used, so it appears that their owners are fairly content with them. Eric is not chasing down orders for guitars, nor does he frequent forums touting his guitars. So I'd imagine he'd have absolutely no interest in sending a demo around for prospective customers to check out. He builds guitars to his vision, posts it on his site, and it usually sells quickly. If you've ever communicated with Eric, you'll find he's an absolutely great guy, but he's not interested in tending to pending orders orders, giving a customer feedback on progress, etc. He'd rather simply build on his timetable, and it's done when it's done, and that's when he advertises the guitar for sale. I agree a "send a demo guitar around" sales model would be nice for some builders to offer, but I don't believe Eric is one of them. Just my opinion, YMMV.

So you'll only get a Revelator when it's absolutely ready and complete to his standards. He once posted a guitar that was very close to being complete but he had a last few things to do on the finish. I can't imagine it was much more to do as the pics looked great already. I contacted him and told him I absolutely wanted to buy it, so we agreed on the terms. Within a day or two he contacted me back and said he had noticed a flaw that made him question whether there would be a chance of long-term problems with the finish. So he decided he was going to start over from scratch, and remove the finish, aging and all. So the guitar was taken off the market. I can't imagine how many hours he must have had invested in the body already. But it wasn't ready/good enough for Eric, so he wouldn't sell it.

So you'll only get a Rev when it's ready. And when I mean ready, I mean what will end up in your hands is a guitar that matches Eric's vision for a guitar that looks/feels/plays/sounds like a 40-50+ yo vintage instrument.

But as my post I linked above says, I've become far less interested in whether one builder's aging is better than another. I'm far more interested in whether a guitar sounds and plays like I need it to. And I've found that in guitars from a number of builders and no-name partscasters, and in all price ranges.

6. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

I have often thought about this demo thing. Here is the main problems for small builders. Usually they are strapped for time in getting what needs to be done, done without the extra tracking of such instruments. The next is the cost. Shipping is expensive with the average being about $60-$70 round trip. Then what happens if a bad seed hears of this and submits false info and then you have to take more time to track it down if that could even happen. The problem is tough for the little guys but the up side is that they spend more time fixing the problems that the big box guys have. In the world of small builders you have to trust opinions mostly of others. E has a great reputation and is a class act to deal with. His work speaks for itself.

7. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Gold Supporting Member

BUY ONE / ORDER / WHATEVER..
    I used to think the same way BUT a Revelator holds value..

If you didn't dig it you would most def get all your money back and then some.. They don't come up "used" too often and his wait times were 8 to 12 weeks? maybe more now, not sure..

I did this exact thing your worried about over TEN times with GVCG's in one year.. YUP.. I bought ten of them, NEVER lost a dime, NEVER ran into one I did not like.. pretty cool experience for something that worried me for at least 2 years before I bought my first one..

8. Lo Blues

Lo Blues Member

I don't think most small companies would send out demos. I was just trying to think of something ya know.

In terms of the blind purchase. I'm sure I would dig a Revelator and I'm sure it would be a nice guitar. Maybe if I'm ever in NJ he'd let me stop by his shop and play a few. Right now I'm in the 'saving up' stage so I'm really all talk. But the day will come!

Thanks,
    Lonnie

9. curlygates

curlygates Member

i agree with sean! You need not worry they are definately good enough to satisfy most anyone. But if not, they don't come up for sale that often so you could easily sell it surely. i have one that i love dearly.

10. JELLIS

JELLIS Member

Looks like this one didn't hold it's value, unless seller bought it a couple years back, when they were cheaper.

[​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/Revelator-1961-Olympic-White-Stratocaster_W0QQitemZ250312544013QQihZ015QQcategoryZ156025QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Same seller has another on the bay now, T style, says he paid $3200 and has a buy it now for $1950. Good deal!

No affiliation.
    I agree, great guitars, I have a T style.

11. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Gold Supporting Member

LOL his own fault.. you don't sell these instruments on fricken ebay.. :NUTS