Revelator vs. GVCG?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by sundaypunch, Aug 19, 2006.

1. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Anyone here own both a GVCG and a Revelator? I'm curious how the Revelator guitars compare as they are brand new to my radar. The Revelator business plan appears to be identical to GVCG and the relic'ing looks to be on par with Jonathons work. I'm not sure how the playability compares.

Also, does anyone know if Revelator makes their own bodies/necks or are they buying them elsewhere and then tweaking them?

www.revelatorguitarworks.com

2. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

you should also check out jeffsennguitars.com. his work not only looks extremely realistic but it sounds great as well! do yourself a favor and check out his site. i just ordered a t-style guitar today and i'm so excited!

3. 6120

6120 Member

+1 for gvcg, Jonathan is a class act all the way and he does not include his religious beliefs in his marketing material.(which I thought was not OK according to TGP rules)

4. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I have a Revelator E-Type arriving one of these days. I've played and owned a few GVCG's. I'll let you know how the Rev. compares.
    GVCG is going to be hard to beat.

5. stratofied

stratofied Member

:confused:

6. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I know Jonathon is a class act. I'm asking if anyone has compared Revelator guitars to his. As for the religious thing and TGP rules, you lost me :confused:

7. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

They look great. The funky headstock shapes are a deal-breaker for me.

8. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

That's on his web site, not on TGP. That's okay. I think.

The relicing looks like it's at least as good as GVCG, and from what it seems, his guitars keep getting better and better. I've got a '61 Tele-style on order (should be here in about a month!), with WCR 60's for the pickups. He apparently makes his own bodies, but I think the necks are Allparts, USACG, etc. If you emailed him about it, I'm sure he would be glad to explain. It doesn't bother me either way.

9. 6120

6120 Member

Sorry, if not rules were broke, I just enjoy the TGP the way it is very much. I never played a revelator.

10. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Those Revelator guitars look nice, but I'm not a big fan of the proselytizing on his web site. I won't likely be a customer.

11. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

That's a stupid reason not to buy a guitar if you like everything else about it. I would gladly buy a product from someone with beliefs opposite of mine if it was a nice guitar/amp/whatever.

For the record, Eric is a TOP NOTCH individual. Not only did he give me a great deal on my guitar and was/is very accomodating to my financial circumstances, but he has also answered every email and question quickly and friendily (is that a real word?) I sent several emails to Jonathan months earlier, before he stopped building guitars, and never heard a single word. JW gave me a very poor impression, but I'm sure his guitars are as fantastic as everyone has said.

12. landru64

landru64 Member

i think it's perfectly valid to choose who you want to do business with, for any reason, really.

hopefully revelator will respond to my email and phone call and not give me my own (valid) reason to not do business with them.

13. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Really? If a builder had hate speech all over his website (let's say he hated your race, for instance) -- you would buy his products? Or might you assume that he was going to use the profits from your purchase to try to further his hateful agenda -- and you would pass on that purchase?

Note that that I'm not saying equating the Revalator site with hate speech, I'm just using the analogy to make a point.

Lots of businesses is Texas put religious symbols on their signs and advertisements in the hope that they will attract like-minded people to choose their businesses over competitive businesses. So I suppose if it's OK to use religion to help your business, it's equally OK for someone like me to decide not to do business with someone who uses his religion to drum up more customers and more profit. No?

14. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I'd just like to find someone that has played both a Revelator and a GVCG.......

15. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

Does he put Fender decals on his guitars?

16. George H

George H Member

You have found one.

I've played both & own a Revelator. (The Shell Pink Tele on his
    web site is mine.) A buddy of mine owned the copper Esquire from
    the old (I don't know if it's on his current web site) GVCG site.

They both make stellar vintage style guitars that look, feel, sound,
    play & smell like 40+ year old Fenders. For me it was the price for
    what I received. Frankly, I could not see the difference between the
    two (save resale value perhaps) that justified virtually double the
    pricetag for the GVCG.

Eric made my Tele exactly the way I wanted it. (The neck is a Nocaster
    carve w/ a Brazilian slab board) He stayed in communication w/ me
    all the way through the project, sent me pics all during the process
    & made pickup suggestions before I finally decided on the Florence
    VooDoos.

Imo they are on par w/ the GVCG & if you don't plan on selling it any
    time soon, the Revelators will get you there for less coin.

As to a couple of the question that were asked:

Eric makes his own bodies & gets his necks from a few different
    suppliers, (depending on what you want) & then gives those necks
    his loving treatment that transforms them into a well played, worn
    in neck w/ your choice of frets that will play wonderfully.

Yes, my Tele has a period correct Fender logo on the headstock.

btw, for what ever it's worth.....my buddy who owned the GVCG copper Esquire..
    ... now owns 2 Revelator guitars. He placed his order after seeing & playing my
    Shell Pink Tele........

GH:)

17. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Eric made my Tele exactly the way I wanted it. (The neck is a Nocaster
    carve w/ a Brazilian slab board) He stayed in communication w/ me
    all the way through the project, sent me pics all during the process
    & made pickup suggestions before I finally decided on the Florence
    VooDoo

GH:)[/quote]

I'm looking forward to getting my Esquire from Eric one of these days but my experience with him has been a little different. Little to no contact from him since I ordered the guitar in the begining of April.
    After inquiring how things were going a couple of weeks ago he said my guitar was shipping in a few days. I haven't heard anything since then.
    I'm not concerned about not receiving the guitar I just think Eric's communication skills could improve a little. Especially when you're selling $2000+ instruments. Other small builders can find the time to do it.
    Communication is part of any business.

18. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I *love* that Shell Pink Tele...! :dude

And I have no problem with Eric's web site, for whatever that's worth... ;)

19. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

So you missed the part where I said I was not equating the two. I was just responding to the poster who said it was "stupid" to choose not to patronize a company who's views or advertising messages you don't appreciate. Think about those folks who boycotted Disney, for instance.

I sure didn't say that Christianity was responsible for moral decay. Where the heck did you get that from?

20. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

It's taken over *five months* for you (J Purcell) to get your guitar? He told me mine should be done by the end of next month, which will have been slightly over three months. He's about to stop taking orders for a while, so hopefully that will speed everything up.