Reverb - a short love letter

PatriotBadger

Okay, it's not quite like that, but here goes.

I'm dramatically paring down my gear, one because we're moving and two because I've learned that I'm more content with having less stuff and only keeping a few truly great pieces.

So I began listing on Reverb again about a week or two ago. Everything priced fairly and squarely - but not low - and not accepting offers.

It's almost all gone. Multiple thousands of dollars of stuff, most sold in a few days, a few have been hanging on for a couple weeks. I have a reverb site, so I can sell without tax being charged and still can accept Paypal. I have that noted in my description. Yet all but one sold on regular old Reverb, taxes and all. Within two days I had enough to buy the Emerald X20 that is replacing at least two other guitars. I get paid within 48 hours.

They might be a frequent target of vitriol, but Reverb works. Compared to selling to GC at half of market value or dealing with CL flakes, tirekickers, and lowballers, it's not even close.

CanuckChris

I won't deny that Reverb has the largest targeted audience for people looking to sell used musical (mostly guitar) gear. I don't sell on Reverb, but that's my personal preference (I don't sell online anywhere, only local), but it's always one of the places I look at when looking to buy new (to me) gear.

pewing33ny

We're in the same boat as far as individual sellers who just want to pare down gear because of space concerns and have had good luck with Reverb. A few bucks here and there in fees is fine for me because I mostly just want to declutter my gear collection (and to justify future purchases when I have more space). I live in NYC and Craigslist is so flaky, I'd say 50% of scheduled meetups are no-shows and you have to move your schedule around for it. Reverb is nice because you can drop it off at the post office on your own time.

However, I still don't like how they put the screws to people who make their living selling gear with the fee increase for no well-explained reason. So I'm avoiding putting some things on there and not buying through their platform, but I'm sure I'll eventually relent to convenience.

Ramboorider

Supporting Member
Yeah, I've had really good luck with Reverb too. I don't sell a lot there, but when I do, I price it competitively, describe it accurately, and it sells.

You getting one of the new X-20s with the deeper rear cutout? Plain carbon or wood veneer?

Emerald makes awesome stuff...

-Ray

wox

Supporting Member
Agreed.

I've put guitars and parts on TGP where they tend to sit around for long periods of time.

I've put stuff on NYC Craigslist where buyers will lowball or offer me a Les Paul Studio with a headstock repair in exchange for my $2000 guitar.

Gear moves fast and for higher prices on Reverb. Shipping (esp guitars) is a real pita, tho.

PatriotBadger

Given the available platforms out there, you really have no choices other than eBay or Reverb in terms of the wide exposure that CL and the like cannot provide. If things are priced right, some success can be achieved. Although, I've listed some nice Gibson guitars for low prices, and they sit for over a month and yet still receive low-ball offers... Bad luck I suppose. I mean, an excellent condition Gibson Nighthawk SP3 with vintage sunburst finish for $950 is what I had to do to get a sale after a month or 2... Really... It was 1993 too - first year production of this guitar. I'm listing a 1994 Gibson Les Paul Standard HCSB finish with OHSC in excellent condition all original and having issues getting $2k for it... I mean, try to find these anywhere else in the world for less... I always find that I have to short change myself a little bit where I'm not getting what I hope just to make a damn sale. I've listed some rarer guitars too I've seen listed comparatively and sell for more than what I've listed them for and all I get are watchers, no messages of offers. I don't sell garbage either... I am talking excellent condition, babied Gibson Les Pauls and Nighthawks... All have OHSCs that are also in great shape. So OP, glad you love Reverb enough to write a love letter, but they haven't done me so much justice in the past couple years. I know what I paid for the guitars I tried to sell and I know that that NH I sold should have sold for at least $1050 or a tick more... Very discouraging IMHO because I give accurate descriptions, great pics, respond to messages... The worst was when I tried to sell my 2018 Gibson LP Classic goldtop. Reverb people were asking questions that were answered in my description - just read the ******* article I wrote - and no movement for a while. I mean, listing it for $1400 on Reverb it came down to... Really! I ended up selling it for $1450 on CL - cash in hand, no shipping.

I've had better luck buying TBH. I've got some decent deals and some rare gear, but generally, my purchases have been through shops and such I've had best luck.

As always YMMV. I'm just unlucky I guess. Reverb certainly isn't getting any of my love. On the contrary.
Trust me, it's not all roses....I feel a lot of this. I tend to look at it this way - I *should* be able to get X for something and sometimes I can, but if I can't, 10% or so less is fine with me because it beats either 50% less selling to GC or never finding a buyer. So it's not ideal or perfect, but it's usually as close as I can get. I also post great descriptions and pics and MAN do I feel you about people not reading the description, irritates me to no end. I've actually replied to people before saying 'Its in the description'. I don't write good descriptions for my health.

CL can still be good, but as the price and specialization goes up, so do the wait times and the likelihood it won't move at all. List a janky half-rusted lawnmower or a dog trailer for your bike though, and people are on that in minutes.

MusicalMan

Then help me out!!!

Look at comparatively priced guitars like this... Been sitting for over a month. Started at $2500 like other 1994 LP Standards HCSB finish, and only a handful of watchers... Not going any lower on this because I know I'm losing straight up 7.7% of this price and have to dole out shipping moneys along with the cost for packing materials, etc. Just want to reduce my collection size because I have 13 guitars - which is too much for me. I have been moving towards having only Gibson CS guitars because I'm too good for the USA lineups, haha! Yeah, I'm a snob, but I am not in dire straits for cash and not looking to suck an egg on the sale. Find one in this shape, all original for considerably less. Even open to offers... Nothing happening for nearly a month.

Declassified

Okay, it's not quite like that, but here goes.

I'm dramatically paring down my gear, one because we're moving and two because I've learned that I'm more content with having less stuff and only keeping a few truly great pieces.

So I began listing on Reverb again about a week or two ago. Everything priced fairly and squarely - but not low - and not accepting offers.

It's almost all gone. Multiple thousands of dollars of stuff, most sold in a few days, a few have been hanging on for a couple weeks. I have a reverb site, so I can sell without tax being charged and still can accept Paypal. I have that noted in my description. Yet all but one sold on regular old Reverb, taxes and all. Within two days I had enough to buy the Emerald X20 that is replacing at least two other guitars. I get paid within 48 hours.

They might be a frequent target of vitriol, but Reverb works. Compared to selling to GC at half of market value or dealing with CL flakes, tirekickers, and lowballers, it's not even close.
agreed, I recently sold 10 pedals with no issues or hassles.

PatriotBadger

Yeah, I've had really good luck with Reverb too. I don't sell a lot there, but when I do, I price it competitively, describe it accurately, and it sells.

You getting one of the new X-20s with the deeper rear cutout? Plain carbon or wood veneer?

Emerald makes awesome stuff...

-Ray
Yep, X20 v2 or 'New X20' in their verbiage. Plain carbon, in red weave. It's what I wanted and they happened to have one in stock, so it's on the way. Can't wait, to be honest I haven't been this excited about a new guitar in a long time.

Here it is on the site

Last edited:

MusicalMan

I don’t “expect” to sell anything for more than 50% of what it costs new. Sometimes I get lucky if I’m selling new and in demand gear, but that’s the reality of a market with a near infinite amount of options
This guitar isn't new, and the prices are right in line with all the other listings I can find for a 1994 Gibson LP of this style. It's actually a few hundred less...

MusicalMan

I appreciate the sentiments here... Just frustrated as all **** with this. I know whoever gets this is getting a great guitar and I hate to sell it, but it's the least played LP I have today; I have 6 CS LPs and this is my only USA one.

Sorry for sabotaging this thread :cool:

Julio Iguana

Yep, X20 v2 or 'New X20' in their verbiage. Plain carbon, in red weave. It's what I wanted and they happened to have one in stock, so it's on the way. Can't wait, to be honest I haven't been this excited about a new guitar in a long time.

Here it is on the site
That’s a beautiful guitar. There’s so many brands now my head spins. I definitely want to peruse their site (future reference after my lotto win!:rolleyes:)

MusicalMan

Devil's advocate ... a fella can go into any Gibson dealer and walk out with a brand new Standard 50s or 60s for $2499, maybe less if the dealer is in a bargaining mood. Yours is a fine example, but it's 26 years old and has some wear that reflects it. Those "in the know" know that it was a good era for Gibsons but many will go "I can get new for 10% more".

Tim
Yeah I have been considering that, but these 90s LPs are definitely better than the new Standards IMHO. I really can’t list it for less though being that I am expecting a certain amount back for this. Being the recent fee increase and shipping costs, sucks to be the little guy here I guess. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

I guess it’s just going to be one of the many guitars on Reverb collecting dust because it’s overpriced. Probably end up keeping it and getting frets crowned to bring it up to great playing shape.

Last edited:

Madison

Everything I've listed on Reverb from guitars all the way down to ashtray bridges and single pickups have sold. I don't like their recent fee increase but if you want it sold they will sell it.

MusicalMan

Who knows, maybe it won't sell and then in 10 years it'll go for double!
Haha by that time I’ll be giving it away to my boys :)
But in all honesty it’s a great sounding guitar and if I didn’t have 13 right now, I wouldn’t think of selling it. Just hoping that I can finally get my first real good sale out of Reverb this time around, because I’ve never, never had luck with Reverb. Now that’s a reason to be ticked about that stupid growing together BS fee increase. I’ve made more money on CL but we all know what you deal with in that platform. Whatever. I just suck at selling apparently.

Ferg Deluxe

Gold Supporting Member
I have a reverb site, so I can sell without tax being charged and still can accept Paypal. I have that noted in my description. Yet all but one sold on regular old Reverb, taxes and all.
Not sure I know what this means? Are there different levels of Reverb?

Miroslav L

I have a reverb site, so I can sell without tax being charged and still can accept Paypal.
Can you expand on that a bit...I'm curious what you mean about no tax being charged...etc...?
Do they leave it up to you to collect tax a different way...or are you bypassing tax altogether...?
I guess I'm not quite clear what you mean by having a "reverb site"...I've yet to sell on Reverb, I just buy there.

MusicalMan

I bought the guitar used for $1860 on CL. It was listed at $2000 and got it down to that. I guess I’m going to lose on this one because I have this on CL listed for exactly $1860. Looks like I overpaid then when I did. Original seller listed as a 1995 too. It’s not in much more of a worn condition from when I paid for it - and this includes the frets. The finish as you can see front and back is very new looking with nearly no dings or scratches. Whatever with the headstock that’s 90s Gibson for you.

Overall I thought I scored a deal for $1860 but looks like I was taken a bit rich in the deal. What can I say... I suck... I’m going to lose on this one and not selling in Reverb for $1600 and taking home 92.3% of this and still out the shipping costs. If I got screwed on the price, I’m just keeping it. Going to stay on CL for what I paid as a vindictive favor to me. May never sell at that but **** it.

Done. Not using Reverb, not giving up this guitar for dirt cheap because I won’t be able to find this guitar ever again for $1600 or less. If I can’t no one will then. Not in the business of making friends with this. If I could make $1600 on this guitar on Reverb then might consider but to CL it goes to collect dust.

Last edited:

Bryan T

guitar owner
Silver Supporting Member
I sold five pedals in a day. Hard to beat that performance. And posting the ads, collecting the money, and shipping was easy. All from my phone.

Trending Topics