• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Reverb advice please

What would you do with this minor Reverb development?

• Arrive at a modest compensation price

Votes: 46 56.8%
  • Let it go and spread some good karma around

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Extract every cent you can out of him, the jerk posted inaccurate copy

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Listen, dummy, don't bother me with your first world problems

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Bacon!

Votes: 5 6.2%

• Total voters

PatriotBadger

Ten millionth thread on this, but it's pretty simple and wanted your thoughts.

Bought a guitar on 'verb from a private seller. It is not a big name standard model, so finding another one is essentially impossible. It is a custom master built guitar from a time when the shop was tiny and built only custom orders by hand at high prices. YOM is 2000. Buyer accepted offers, so I threw out an offer about 15% below his ask and he accepted. I believe it to be a fair price for both of us.

Despite being 20 years old the guitar was listed as mint. Specifically in the description it was noted that there is no visible fret wear. While the guitar that arrived is definitely not mint, I would place it firmly in the excellent+ camp. The first three frets, however, have a good amount of wear and divots under the unwound strings, as well as minor wear elsewhere on the frets. I sent a message via reverb with pics, indicating that I was surprised to see this, especially considering the specific notation about the lack of fret wear, and said (very nicely) it really doesn't jive with the listed condition or description.

Seller says he honestly didn't notice it and I believe him. Says he's willing to compensate for the hassle or it can be returned and he'll list it with a more accurate description. Seems like a truly good guy and willing to make it right. Has perfect feedback. Thing is....I still think the price was fair and I'm not looking to beat him up or be a jerk. What would you do?

ixnay

If he has offered to compensate you for the hassle, take him up on it. No need to be excessive, but you didn't get what you thought you were paying for, so there is nothing wrong with letting him make it right since he is offering to do so.

I agree with @Jarick advice.

The onus of the accuracy in the description is without a doubt on the buyer.
However,
Anytime I see the term ‘mint’ used to describe a used item, I am by nature skeptical and will ask questions to vet their appraisal.
Not suggesting you did anything wrong, I just consider any description that includes the term mint dubious at best.

Last edited:

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Does it just need a fret dressing or refret?

If the former, I'd agree upon some fair compensation.

If the latter, I'd probably return it or ask for a substantial refund to pay for the refret.

Good luck.

jogogonne

Despite being 20 years old the guitar was listed as mint.
I'm not really quite sure what the definition of mint is, but I would assume any 20 year old guitar, unless it has largely been sitting in a case is not mint.

I've always gone by Guitar Center definitions

Excellent = decent outside shape, inside... we think its OK.
Great = A few dings
Good = beat to hell...

PatriotBadger

OP here, guy just offered to refund me $200. That's way too much. I'm thinking about a quarter of that amount.

It will be tough to address this with a crown and level, but it may still be possible. If nothing else I could do a partial refret on the first five.

RayRay

Eh, let it go. I've been in that seller's place where I used an old photo of a guitar and misrepresented the strap locks. He was like, "uh, love the guitar, but the ad indicated xyz. Not a big deal though"

So I sent him some dunlop strap locks.

Good karma goes a long way IMO. If it's only $30-50 like the other poster said, personally I'd let that go. Ya never know what the other person is going through.

Guitarworks

He gambled that maybe his idea of mint would match your idea of mint. Sometimes it is, sometimes it is not. He had a 50/50 shot so he took it and lost. He probably knew the divots were there, and was prepared to restructure the deal or take it back just in case you might've noticed the divots, or came back to contest his claim of mint.

So whatever he knew or didn't know, you'll never know. Ask him for $50 back to compensate you for his lack of oversight (or his bad poker bluff), and tell him it's a fret dress charge. Keep the guitar and call it a day.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
OP here, guy just offered to refund me $200. That's way too much. I'm thinking about a quarter of that amount.

It will be tough to address this with a crown and level, but it may still be possible. If nothing else I could do a partial refret on the first five.
I'd counter with $100. He's been really good about it, you'll get most of a fret dressing (guessing on the price), everyone ends up fairly happy.

Unless it needs a full refret...then $200 is probably fair.

What was the sale price?

Jim85IROC

I'd counter with $100. He's been really good about it, you'll get most of a fret dressing (guessing on the price), everyone ends up fairly happy.

What was the sale price?
agreed. That sounds quite fair.

PatriotBadger

What was the sale price?
Sales price was a paltry $1200. Unfortunately I can't figure that in too much, since a refret for a broken Silvertone or an original burst is gonna cost the same scratch (well, you know what I mean).

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
I hear you guys about the mint condition thing. To this day I'm the only one I've ever known what when I say mint in a description....it's mint. Like you just pulled it from the factory box.
Mint is a term I wouldn't use even if I thought it was mint - it just seems to invite conflict.

In practice I always downgrade the condition a grade from what I think it is when I describe it, I'd far rather a buyer be happily surprised that it's better than expected than get into a disagreement with someone who thought I'd overstated it.

scelerat

Gold Supporting Member
The sample size on this poll is still pretty low, but I would like to hear from the "Bacon!" faction, whenever they appear

Urobouros

Double Platinum Member
I think your inclination towards $100 is correct & perfectly reasonable in this circumstance. Fortunately both you & the seller appear to be chill about what sounds like a minor issue overall. It sounds like a happy ending all around :banana

Trending Topics