1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Reverb - ALL PayPal Payments through Reverb forced to process through Bank or CC

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dark_shredder, Dec 16, 2016.

1. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

My workaround.... I have the paypal prepaid card that I can transfer the funds from, and finance Reverb through Affirm. When the Affirm account notifies me that that "loan" has gone through, I pay it off with the card. Yeah it's kind of a kludge but I want to keep my gear funds separate and this is what I came up with.

2. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Maybe some feel different, but I do not want my excess funds sitting in my paypal account.

Someone could do a chargeback, or some other nonsense, which could cause paypal to lock
    the account while the funds are in it.

To me, it is best to transfer the funds to my bank the second it hits, and if I want to make a
    purchase and not use my paypal-linked credit card, then I would just use my paypal-linked
    bank account to do so.

Paypal has changed, and people report that they are not as quick to lock accounts as they
    used to be, but I dont want to take any chances. In the old days they locked my account
    a couple of times while I sorted through scams/phony chargebacks.

3. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I'm not saying anything about what people may or may not prefer.

All I'm pointing out is that having to withdraw and then redeposit funds into the same account is a workaround, and shouldn't be required under the PayPal terms of service.

For whatever reasons you don't want to acknowledge that as a workaround, but not wanting something to be true doesn't make it false.

4. danoverb

danoverb Member

Hey OP - from what I understand this should be something you can adjust from your PP account. We have no control over anything like that in your settings.

PM me if you'd like and I'm happy to have someone more specialized in this sort of thing contact you tomorrow. Apologies for the frustration so far.

thanks, Dan from Reverb.

5. dark_shredder

dark_shredder Member

I use PayPal for 85% of my own purchases. This is because i sell online ( on my website and other venues ) and I collect PayPal funds for much of my sales.

So I'm very versed on " Settings" on PayPal. I can honestly say that I have found NO such setting in PayPal.

In addition because its Christmas time I'm buying stuff like everyday using paypal. I'm buying at stores on Ebay and online in various places and I'm paying using PayPal. Thus far every purchase where I've used paypal i get a "funding" choice from PayPal at checkout.
    ( 1 ) Use My Existing PayPal Balance
    ( 2 ) Pay With My Bank Account
    ( 3 ) Pay with My Credit Card

Except on Reverb..

Unexplainable the only options to pay these sellers on Reverb is my bank account or credit card… and my available balance in PayPal just being skipped over as if it does not exist when attempting to pay on Reverb.

Maybe Danoverb can post the link to the PayPal information/page/setting that he is referring to on this thread.
    Thanks

moosewayne likes this.
  6. dark_shredder

dark_shredder Member

Hello Danoverb, how about lets skip the PM ( private message ) and have the experts at Reverb just chime in here in this thread. I want to know where this hard-to-find PP setting is. I think PayPal settings are pretty much public knowledge and searchable through google so maybe post the PayPal info.

In addition Reverb it is apparently "integrated with PayPal" but I can't use my PP funds

heres are some quotes from the Reverb Site in Regards to PayPal

https://reverb.com/page/reverb-direct-checkout-with-integrated-paypal

Reverb Direct Checkout
    with Integrated PayPal
    "Close the gap between Paypal users and non-users.
    Nearly 50% of Reverb transactions happen via Direct Checkout – those using PayPal only are unable to connect with half of the Reverb audience! Direct Checkout with Integrated PayPal closes the gap and allows everyone to transact in harmony"

IAm MI and moosewayne like this.
  7. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Dude, EXACTLY the same!!
    Been using paypal, and NOT JUST EBAY, all Holiday season long. No problem whatsoever.
    The only problems are with Reverb.
    Dan, there are NO SETTING PROBLEMS. Be a freakin' man and just say you don't want to take paypal.
    It's this constant defensive, never admit to anything that reflects a less than favorable light behavior that is making you, Reverb and Chicago Music Exchange appear less trustworthy by the minute.
    And for the record, I've dealt with S.S.-the original CME owner-on several occasions, so I KNOW what oily and untrustworthy looks like!

8. danoverb

danoverb Member

Fair enough - if it wasn't clear, this is not an area I'm intimately familiar with. I'll see if I can get some more concrete info from someone who is when I'm back in the office tomorrow.

Also @moosewayne - I don't think we've ever hidden the fact that we prefer people to use our payment system over paypal.

9. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Dan, you have always been good with taking care of issues with me. I am REALLY hoping that this issue with Paypal and not using funds therein is some kind of mistake. If it is not, I hate to say that I will absolutely no longer be using your site, as much as I have enjoyed doing so. I reviewed your payment options/conditions and have personally opted to keep my things separate. If that is not what your model is after in the long run, I hate to say that it has been nice knowing you and I will be closing my shop on your site.

moosewayne likes this.
  10. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Mad Strappier Vendor

As a shop owner i am very concerned this could be affecting my potential customers. watching this closely.

11. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

12. dark_shredder

dark_shredder Member

I dont sell music stuff so I dont really know the challenges that Reverb/Chicago Music Exchange are up against. But the reason I even posted on TGP was because I had an agreement with three sellers on Reverb to pay for items i had made offers on.

Ultimately I was unable to pay those Reverb sellers using Reverb's own quoted methods. Making me re-nig on the promises i made. i was hoping to get some real answers and avoid being a deadbeat payer.

Yet I'am able pay them because i have funds available in PayPal right now. In addition on the site it does indeed say I can use paypal and that paypal is "integrated" on Reverb.

getting the run-around from the Reverb people and then the Reverb customer service rep insulting my intelligence by sending me a direct email which was a reprimand and then sending me on a wild goose chase to hunt for these non-existent PayPal settings had me standing back saying... wow and wow

deosn't make me wonder why these posts are ending up on TGP >>
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/reverb-com-seller-beware-direct-checkout.1729349/
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/reverb-com-buyer-wont-pay-respond.1774920/

moosewayne likes this.
  13. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

There are three pieces of gear I am actively searching for. I have PayPal funds at the ready to buy them the moment I see them.
    The actions/attitude of Reverb this past week has made their site dead last of places I'm looking and willing to buy from.

Whogo and TVvoodoo like this.
  14. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

There is quite a difference between preferring having the funds for payments being in your hands, and disallowing use of PayPal account funds completely. Disallowing the use of a PayPal balance without disclosing that to clients would be dishonest, if that is what is happening. Wouldn't you agree?

And, if you wouldn't agree that hiding such conditions is dishonest... that would be a strike against any such business looking to build a reputation for being honest in handling monetary transactions.

moosewayne likes this.
  15. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Thanks ERG!
    This is exactly what I am trying to say and couldn't quite find the right words.

16. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Member

Reverb rocks and I bet they survive just fine. Rail against eBay policies here and see how many reps mark up to try to deal politely with you, especially when you use the pejorative you have here. I guess that falls under the rule that the customer is always right so they can say whatever their emotions require and the people who run the business have to exercise restraint.

The only other options I'm aware of are eBay, GBase, and CL, and boards like this. It's a free country - go for it.

65DuoSonic and DakotaRed like this.
  17. danoverb

danoverb Member

Alright all -- I have conferred with the people here who actually wrote the code around our Paypal checkout just to be 100% sure, and can tell you that the funding source from Paypal is not something we have any control over. As they explained it, when you first log a Paypal account on Reverb, you may have an option to select where you paypal funds come from, but it's not a setting we have any sort of control over. In fact, it should work that unless you select something else, it will always take from your paypal funds first.

Here is the location on paypal where you can see where you have connected accounts and where you can select your funding sources: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_manage-paylist-- if you see Reverb there and click the link, you should be able to control that setting. Should look like this:

[​IMG]

65DuoSonic likes this.
  18. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

If true, what would be the benefit to Reverb of doing this? I don't understand-seems like it would just cause a bunch of needless potential problems for them

19. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Hahaha ain't that the truth!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  20. dark_shredder

dark_shredder Member

Thanks for that information.

But in my understanding it actually reveals something a lot larger...

What your showing us is that Reverb has coded a "PayPal Billing Agreement" into the express checkout for PayPal on Reverb.
    https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/recurringpymts-full

What that means is that when anyone buys using PayPal on Reverb we are approving a legal agreement. That agreement stipulates that Reverb can execute a debit to your PayPal account in any amount whenever they want and without the owner of the PayPal account knowing a bill has been passed until after the bill "cashes". So people that just rush on through will not know Reverb can execute a debit to PayPal anytime without asking.

What the image/screen shot Danoverb attached shows is that if theres no money in your paypal account for Reverb to pull from when they decide to hit your PayPal with a debit... the funding source will be a draft to your bank account. And then the only recourse would be to convince your bank that its fraudulent in order to get the debit removed.

I actually had a problem with this from a software company that installed a PayPal Billing Agreement into my PayPal when i started the service in 2014 and charged me $100 for custom software the next year 2015 without me knowing that the billing agreement existed. I tried to dispute the 100$ charge but PayPal rejected my dispute because I un-knowingly accepted the PayPal Billing Agreement the year before. I actually paid twice for the same product.

But as for as Reverb Accepting payment that post using your existing paypal balance. I guess that means that if I go through the Reverb/PayPal direct checkout today it indeed will take the payment(s) from my PayPal balance since a balance exists. I will try to checkout and see where the money comes from.