Reverb and boost for 5E3?

Dereksslide

Willing to pay the cash but would prefer cheaper options if they do the job (if it has to be a soul-mate then it has to be a soul-mate but a Hermida would be preferable price-wise!).

Not looking for anything crazy. Classic spring reverb and a treble booster or something similar to give it a kick when needed (SHO?).

Go!

Dereksslide

Super Duper worth the extra? I can't tell if you can use it as a single SHO but I'm guessing you can? If I get a Hermida it'll be the Reverb 2, does that change anything?

Other option is mount a Sole-Mate Jr to the amp and connect it up permanently, but I don't want to do that, or buy the sole-mate, unless it's worth it.

Muzzy

Silver Supporting Member
Check out the Boss 63 reverb. I just bought one and it surprised the hell out of me. Got mine for $63.50 used.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Tim and the Red Panda Context reverb for me, with a Fender EC Tremolux. Really tasty sounds.
MD

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I have been through them all and the best were:
Reverb:
WETv1
Fuchs Good Verberations
Spring Theory
Mr. Springgy

Boost:
Bad Bob
Barber Ltd SR
Clark/Barber Gainster
Greer Tone Smuggler

Last edited:

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Mojo Hand Dewdrop. It does the spring reverb emulation just fine, IMO.

muddyblues45

Silver Supporting Member
EQD ghost echo is awesome and not a one trick pony. Also I love the Fulltone fatboost 2 for pushing those types of amps. The eq on them are awesome and can easily use it as a teble boost.

bratch

I just like real springs... I'm using a demeter "pedal" (it's huge). The 5e3's compression will really shine a light on your verbs and delays.

Not sure yet on the boost; it depends on the speaker you're using to a degree. Loving using a fuzz instead of an OD pedal for single-note lines.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
You really have to try reverb pedals out with a 5e3 before recommending them. It is an overdriven amp basically all the time, so most reverb pedals sound way too wet with it. Most of the reverb pedals cannot get subtle enough with the 5e3, or many overdriven amps, so you have to choose carefully.

benjammin_

SHO clone gets my vote for the boost, i'm not sure there's a reverb pedal that's gonna sound that good with a 5e3 to be honest.. maybe the hermida?

Last

It may be easier to dial in a short slap back than find a reverb pedal that works great with the 5E3 circuit.

I know not optimal, but certainly easier.

Dereksslide

Thanks for all the advice guys. I fully plan to try before I buy, but this does mean SHO clones and things are likely out the window and it'll be an SHO I buy (have heard these are maybe overpriced for what they are).

The reverb does seem to be problematic. I'm not looking for anything complex, but it seems I might have to get something complex to actually get the simple, small amount of reverb I want. The reverb is likely to be used when it's just at the point of breaking, it's less likely to be used when I'm really pushing the amp (although it would be nice to do that). Think David Lindleys tone on Late For The Sky.

In terms of trying things out, I'll most likely have to buy from these guys:

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk

http://www.guitar.co.uk

http://www.ccmusicshop.co.uk

So anything I can't get from them would be bought blind...

Has anyone tried the Strymon Blue Sky?

Dereksslide

Forgot to say, my only electric is a Jr type guitar, so single P90 in the bridge. I think this could work really well with the SHO, what do you reckon?

Trending Topics