Reverb and Vintage?

AXEnGEAR4J

I've been playing and collecting vintage amps and cabs for years. Most purchased either from local CL, shops, ebay etc. I don't see as much on ebay as in past and I've never bought directly off Reverb but have always watched and use it as another source for valuation.

Lately I have noticed a dramatic increase in asking prices, like 50-100% for vintage gear on Reverb, especially the major players as Marshall, Orange, Laney, Hiwatt, Sunn, Fender etc. which actually surprises me as it's not pristine condition gear as well. I don't know if they are being sold or at those prices or we're actually seeing an increase in overall value of vintage.

keithb7

Asking prices are quite high. People are over the moon in a lot of instances. Actual sell prices are often quite less than asking. They can ask all they want. I'm not buying at primium prices. Some vintage amps sit there a long time.

AXEnGEAR4J

My impression it's likely flooded with overpriced sellers who just list it to go fishing to see if could sell at those prices

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
If you log in you can see actual sales in the graph. For instance a '68 PR sold for just $650 in February.

But yes, even the sold prices are jumping up. I just got a '77 in fawn of this one and just in time it looks like, by Feb '17 the price may double in one year.

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/20238

VJF

If you log in you can see actual sales in the graph. For instance a '68 PR sold for just $650 in February.

But yes, even the sold prices are jumping up. I just got a '77 in fawn of this one and just in time it looks like, by Feb '17 the price may double in one year.

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/20238
Do they provide details? A '68 PR for $650 (unless it was one of the reissues) is way under priced or had very little that's original.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Once in a while you can get lucky by googling an old reverb ad since you know the date of sale, but otherwise nope they don't hotlink to the original ad.

I've found some flippers that way for unique gear, just googling recent Reverb ads. But for common gear like Princeton reverbs it's harder.

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
Prices on vintage amps can vary a lot based on cosmetic condition, originality, and functionality. A super clean original example can command a much higher price than an average example. This is the limitation of tools like the Reverb price guide. The devil is in the details.

NativH

Platinum Supporting Member
Good to see early 70's Marshall prices going up again. The PTP amps are great amps, as are the PCB's, but at prices below $1500, why sell? I'd rather just hold on to them at those prices. Above $2,000 I might actually let loose of them. And early Hiwatt DR103's going into the $2500 and up range is also getting me thinking.

Trending Topics