Reverb bag & tank installation help

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by brightblack, Sep 13, 2008.

1. brightblack

brightblack Member

Hey- I just purchased a Ruby 3-spring reverb tank for my Blues Jr along with a bag for it, I know how to install the tank but how do you use the bag? Do you have to cut holes for the screws & RCA plugs or am I just missing something extremely obvious here?

2. gitarboy

gitarboy Silver Supporting Member

Howdy,
    Unless it's different than all the ones I've used... plug the send and return RCA's into the tank and run the wires along the side of the tank and out the corner of the end of the bag opening... leave a little space in the bag on the non opening end and position the bag and run a screw with a washer into the wood...
    The fold flap on the open end should be on the top side of the tank once the tank is in the bag... double the flap over on itself and run a screw with washer thru the folded flap into the wood... that will hold the tank down with out being rigid... hope this helps....

Steve :banana

3. brightblack

brightblack Member

I'm still not clear on how to screw the tank down when its in the bag. The closed end has no holes.

4. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I like to wire tie a cut to size piece of cardboard to the bottom (open) part of the tank to protect the springs. Then staple the hook side of a couple of strips of velcro to the amp's cabinet, then sew the loop side to the bag. The tank floats inside the bag, and the bag can be removed if needed.

I've also seen (Pure 64) where the tank is 3M double sided tape stuck directly to the cabinet with no bag.

5. gitarboy

On the closed end don't push the tank all the way to the end...leave a little space on that end, 1/2 inch to an inch and using a flat washer, run a screw down thru the flat part of the bag into the wood... you have to make your own hole...

6. brightblack

brightblack Member

I think I understand now! Thank you for the advice- how much difference does the bag actually make? Do you think I really need one?:huh

7. gitarboy

It's not a must but it will keep dust, etc out of the tank...

8. brightblack

brightblack Member

Gitarboy- I also have noticed that the bag has two flaps on each end, should I try using those to hold the bag in place? I know this seems trivial. Also, should I use the existing holes on the bottom of the cabinet to screw the bag down, rather than make new ones?

One more question:
    So the bag is the only thing holding the tank in place, correct?

:BOUNCE

Thanks a lot,
    brightblack

9. gitarboy

Yes ... Yes... and Yes.... :BEER

10. brightblack

brightblack Member

Gitarboy- Thanks a lot for your input- because of folks like you, I really am seeing the benefits of this forum!