Reverb business practices - bad seller

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RKDallas, Jul 12, 2019.

1. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

Reverb is something else. I purchased a guitar from an individual seller. After purchasing it, the seller kept telling me for days he was going to ship it.

He never shipped it so I requested a refund. The seller immediately refused the refund request and told me he was shipping it anyways. He never did. After refund refusal, I requested it two more times and he refused each time. He never shipped the guitar and never refunded the money.

The charge had to be disputed with my credit card provider in order to get my refund.

This seller even threatened me with physical violence in a message.

I left honest feedback for the seller with a one star disclosing the facts.

As of today, Reverb has deleted my one star feedback and let the seller resume selling. This is why you never see a seller with less than near 5 star ratings. Their drive to make a buck outweighs any honesty. Beware of Reverb. Shame on you Reverb.

texrun38, stonem, LPTyler and 20 others like this.
  2. mystixboi

mystixboi Supporting Member

Why don’t you out the seller?

I wouldn’t want to deal with someone like that

3. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Did reverb say anything to you? I mean the guy didn't ship you anything.. Did he even print a label?

5. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

I don't think he did anything except take my money. Reverb was no help because it was a PayPal checkout.

6. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

one of the lessons learned. Seller ratings on Reverb mean nothing.

7. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

I've just about given up on Reverb in the past couple months. From dealing with whacky sellers, people selling me broken pedals, etc.. its just hardly worth the hassle. Its pretty much become a gear rental outlet it seems, with people stabbing each other in the back.

8. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

Yes, The sad part. Reverb could do something about it if they wanted to. Rather they seem to choose to make a buck any way they can make it At one point i thought they were doing the right thing to create a good environment. Not the case anymore.

9. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Yeah I used to feel really good about it a couple years ago but it seems to continue to get worse each month. I rarely see many great buys on it in general either. Lots of 'flippers' on it as well it seems, both with amps and guitars. I think what could help is if for certain gear people would provide some simple demo to show that a product is actually working and also enforce some picture standard to really enforce people to show what they got.

As for this shipping issue - to me it should only do a pre-auth before actually charging your card. It should only actually charge your card once its shipped and in-transit. Thats ridiculous for that guy to essentially hold your money for a few days and then Reverb turns around and just writes it off like he did nothing wrong.. totally insane.

10. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

I just had a bad deal myself. Bought a pedal that had a bad pot. This was on a complicated digital pedal with multiple stacked circuit boards so not a really simple fix. This pot controlled the menus so it was more than just some scratchy sounds when turning. Anyhow reverb told me to file the complaint through PayPal so I did and for once they sided with me and gave me a refund. The seller insulted me and talked very poorly to me through reverb though. He should be kicked off the platform I think but they don’t see it that way.

Jabby92 likes this.
  11. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

gotta make a buck. It doesn't make any sense in certain situations to give someone a complete do-over. Delete the feedback and forget the deliberate hassle the seller caused.

I'm going back to eBay.

12. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Glad to see I'm not only the one whose dealt with pedal BS. Every time I've run into pedal problems I always get the same thing from the seller: 'it was working for me', 'it had no problems', etc. They also never refund the shipping costs of course so you end up paying $10-$15 to send it back. They usually re-list it after a couple months, waiting for the next sucker to buy it and run into the problem. At this point I pretty much only buy brand new pedals from a place where I know I can get real help, its seriously not worth trying to save $50 or so.

Class5, brb9911, 665 and 2 others like this.
  13. Neverwhere

Neverwhere Member

I've had three disputes with buyers and sellers on Reverb and every time their customer service has told me to take it up with my bank. Even for really, really simple stuff that they should easily be able to remedy, and have access to all correspondence through the messaging so they know whats going on. They wouldn't even help someone who was kind of computer illiterate navigate the refund process on their end, guy couldn't figure it out even though he wanted to refund, Reverb just tells me to take it up with the bank.

I don't pay for the Reverb protection anymore, I think it's completely worthless. These bad deals and lack of remedy on Reverbs end are not new either, they have always been sort of an expanded craigslist to me...They refuse to eliminate well known bait and switch vendors as well.

Vast majority of deals I've had on Reverb have been great, but that would come down to the seller and buyer not the company.

Dr. Tinnitus, Jabby92 and Benderp like this.
  14. Benderp

Benderp Supporting Member

Not just Reverb, its humanity going downhill.

15. Benderp

Benderp Supporting Member

Good luck, I just got burnt there. Time to get out the door and meet people and buy face to face. The state sales tax break is soon to end as well

monty likes this.
  16. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

I would like to hear the other side of the story on this. Why would he refuse to ship it and why did Reverb remove your rating and he be allowed to sell still? What's the purpose of that, since if that's entirely true what you said then in the long run Reverb will lose business.?

There are usually 3 sides to every situation. What you say, what they say and what a 3rd party observation is. Well, it sounds like a lot of bad deals there overall but I can tell you I had a bad deal on eBay over 11 years ago and never went back, after what the police investigator found out about eBay business practices.

17. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

It's a free for all out there. Time to stock up on supplies and ammo for that doomsday bunker...or just move to the Yukon in Canada. I know it's time to get out of crazy California.....

18. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I have close to 60 transactions on Reverb without issue. Guess I'm lucky.

19. MusicalMan

MusicalMan Member

When you deal with a seller, message them, have a little conversation in the scope of the item you're interested in. If you engage politely and you receive reciprocation that is anything but helpful, you have reason to be suspect of the seller - perhaps move on and try someone else. Either way, I highly doubt that Reverb will allow someone to straight up take your money... If that was happening, I would think that they wouldn't be around too long. There are good sellers on Reverb - present company included. I know for sure that if someone pays me for my goods, I am nothing but honest and forthcoming with what I am presenting. I feel it is a good platform for people like me who want to relieve myself of gear that I no longer have purpose for.

Overall, if it isn't Reverb, it will be somewhere else. I don't dispute that there are some sellers that do not take too much pride in their tasks... As mentioned, have a conversation like you would with someone at the store through their messaging system. If they respond slow, vague, rude... be wary.

Pill's_Ghost, woof*, Jeffj and 7 others like this.
  20. guitarno

guitarno Supporting Member

Me too. I have had only one problem on Reverb (Seller's poor packaging / shipping issue) and in general the Reverb staff has always been very helpful & supportive if I had questions. I Haven't had a big conflict though outside of the one issue which the seller & I resolved.

The rating thing, and the story the OP related is disturbing though. I think all "Market Place" selling sites are similar in that they try to be very non-confrontational.
    I think they are trying to avoid things devolving into a pissing match between sellers and buyers, but if someone breaks the rules or doesn't do what they promised, there should be some way of flagging their performance or lack thereof. That's what the rating system is there for. If it is artificial, then it means nothing.

Andres6and8, Pick'n'strum and sshan25 like this.