Reverb business practices - bad seller

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RKDallas, Jul 12, 2019.

1. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

Recently bought a 2009 LP Goldtop Standard and a MI Megalith Delta off Reverb, both arrived in better condition than advertised.

Curious to see the threat of violence quote, I'm imagining some100lb nerd being an internet tough guy.

MusicalMan and USMarine75 like this.
  2. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

I’ll be finding out why Reverb gave this scumbag a complete do over.

I’ve bought & sold over 150 items on Reverb. This clown has 8 transactions.

There were several messages indicating it would be shipped the the next day. And the next day...

There’s zero explanation for never shipping. Maybe laziness? That’s what is so odd.

That particular seller is completely unpredictable. Hence the refusal to issue a refund.

Three chances to follow through on what he said and it’s a strikeout. No trust left.

3. dansworld

dansworld Member

But Paypal checkout does not pay out until you add tracking.

Jeffj and Boundcustom like this.
  4. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

If feedback can be massaged after the fact, I don't see any reason to use it. I covet my own five star, 200+ transactions, no real problems. If others' five stars are potentially fraudulent or uh, "redacted" then what good is mine? Uncool.

bigfoamfinger likes this.
  5. stellablue

stellablue Member

And Paypal has a very good buyer protection plan.

Gl4th likes this.
  6. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Yet another reason never to use PayPal.

Gig Young likes this.
  7. Unexplainedbacon

Unexplainedbacon Supporting Member

You could have disputed with PayPal directly. I’ve done that and been issued a refund after a period of time to allow the other party to explain themselves

lendryesky likes this.
  8. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

I find that if you’re reasonable and respectful, 99% of the time others will be as well.

VintageChime, Jeffj, RKDallas and 3 others like this.
  9. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

Hmmm. I have found ebay, reverb and paypal protective of the buyer to a fault (in the end, this does result in higher prices for sellers, which most don't realize, but it can be annoying in a given transaction) I wonder what the seller/reverb would say if asked about the details of this one. Not trying to discount the OP and sorry you had a bad transaction.

10. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

Either way, if he used the reverb checkout or through paypal, he doesn't get paid until he adds tracking. So he never had the money anyway if he never made a label.

11. baiff

baiff Member

Reverb is essentially eBay but a different color and name.

12. Pick'n'strum

Pick'n'strum Member

I understand the frustration and it does seem weird all the way around - I've also bought and sold a ton of stuff on Reverb. Their customer service has always been outstanding for me - in this day and age, it's hard to find a company like that. I've even been on both ends of a dispute (buyer and seller) and it always worked out well ... you ever tried to deal with an internet company? Talk about annoying.

Anyways, it does seem like in this case they shouldn't have changed the one star feedback rating. In my opinion, an item should be shipped out within a couple days and if it's going to be longer, I want an explanation.

Atmospheric and Hbom like this.
  13. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Philadelphia Luthier Tools and Supplies received the only non 5-star rating I’ve ever given. Messaged to see if they could substitute a slightly different set of strings for 2 of the 3 I ordered. Didn’t tell me they were dumping their damaged goods on me. Received the 3 sets and the 2 different sets came without the product box and had clearly been smashed at one point.

14. Dickey

Dickey Member

No offense, but I think buying & selling big ticket (like vehicles) or personal items (like guitars) online is stupid. Only thing I buy online are pedal steel strings & supplies since they can't be sourced locally. Too many things to go wrong,too many scammers, and how can you know if you like a guitar or amp without playing it?
    In person,cash only transactions are what I do. Much better chance of not getting hosed.

Gig Young likes this.
  15. guitarplayer1

guitarplayer1 Supporting Member

Not sure what CA has to do with this? (Seller was from NJ and reverb is based in IL) Regardless, don’t let the door hit you on the way out ....... sheesh.

hippietim and John Hurtt like this.
  16. secretsoundz

secretsoundz Member

I had an awful experience buying an amp on Reverb and they were little to no help. I deleted my account. Plenty of other good ways to get gear.

17. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

This is my tactic for Reverb as well, drop them a line with a question (it's rare I see a listing I would have any questions about anyway if I were on the cusp of buying) and if they're hard to deal with then I move on.

Whether buying or selling and it's Reverb, Ebay or in person in a shop I'm always friendly, polite, to the point and respectful and, I have to say, it's pretty rare I come across anyone that isn't the same. I've had a couple of bad experiences but my success rate has been pretty good so far.

BlueCajun likes this.
  18. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Just yesterday I had a Reverb problem and am curious as to how this is going to go.

I got a guitar delivered in a too-tiny box, with no filler except it actually looked like seller
    dumped some of his kitchen trash in the box as filler. Unbelievably poor packing, the
    seller just doesnt care, you can tell.

The headstock was touching the top of the box so the headstock was broken.

After no response from the seller, I chatted with Reverb and got a vague answer, to which
    I said "I paid with a credit card so I can involve them but I wanted to see how it played
    out".

I was told they have access to the funds so no need to do that, yet.

They said they are trying to contact seller, blah blah

But I am not messing around on this, and any more dragging around and I am filing a
    credit card dispute (it has been three days since I recd the item, which is long enough).

I think what has happened with sellers is ebay has cracked down on nonsense, and now
    sellers have to provide timely tracking, and cant get their money until the item is
    delivered timely, etc., and those sellers that have no discipline or are not on the up and up
    are slowly moving over to Reverb.

665 and Hbom like this.
  19. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Supporting Member

I do this as well. I almost always have a few questions about the item in question. If I get a bad vibe from the seller (attitude or whatever), I move on. Not saying that's 100% fail-safe. But I do agree that if the seller comes off as jerky in their response, it's likely they won't be easy to deal with if there is an issue.

20. Andres6and8

Andres6and8 Member

A few things:
    1. Isn't there a Reverb.com employee here? I'd be interested in his feedback to all this, though I'm not sure I remember his username.
    2. I too have never had an issue with people paying on Reverb. The only annoying instances I've had are when I'd do everything quickly and rapidly, ensure the best protection, etc etc., and then not get feedback at all from the buyer. Meh, whatever.
    It hasn't meant anything for a while. It's been documented here (and subtly admitted by Reverb themselves) that their policy is to do whatever is necessary to avoid negative feedback, leaving it only to be used if an issue doesn't get resolved.

If an issue had to go to a third party to get resolved, that doesn't mean the guilty party partook in resolving the matter. A low feedback score should stay.

Not only is it worthless, but you can get real protection through the carrier for less. I've pointed that out to some customer reps but they didn't have much to say. I think only once did it make sense for me to use Reverb's protection when I shipped a sizable amplifier across the country. I'm just glad no issue sprung out of it.

Though I suspect the other Reverb user is at fault (as opposed to the OP), I think it's useful to hear the other side's story as well. However, to answer your questions, Reverb would simply prefer to wash its hands from any responsibility as long as it can- most likely due to its start-up nature.

If your deal went south because of an error in their backend code, they'd be forced to address your issue (or face lawsuits). However, I don't think they have a department that handles disputes between users. It's why they prefer that people resolve issues on their own or through a paypal/credit card company rather than face fallout from users who don't feel great about getting negative feedback, however deserved said negative feedback is.