Reverb business practices - bad seller

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RKDallas, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

That's really bad, and I too have had a very similar situation through Reverb.

The seller didn't respond to anything after I purchased an item, so I contacted Reverb. They said they would contact the seller, which I'm not sure if they really did. After 3 weeks I had to dispute through PayPal because nothing was changing.

At this point, I tried to leave negative feedback, but it wouldn't allow it. After another month, my money was refunded by PayPal, and the seller had relisted the item, apparently without any consequence from Reverb.

So, I waited a month and a half to get my refund, couldn't leave negative feedback, and the seller gets off the hook. What a load of crap.

I even asked Reverb to contact PayPal in order to assist with the PayPal dispute process, and they refused.

All in all, I've had several transactions through Reverb go poorly (either it never shipped or wasn't described/photographed accurately) and Reverb was unable to offer any resolution or effective support. Either I lost out, or battled with the seller to find some sort of middle ground.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. ajmxbend

ajmxbend Member

I recently canceled my account on Reverb because of a bad experience with their customer service. I only got my due refund after posting to this forum and getting help from forum members. In other words, Reverb would have continued doing nothing without me seeking help elsewhere.

I had been a reverb buyer/seller for a couple years with several hundred positive reviews and was really disappointed I had to leave; it used to be a really positive experience. Something has negatively changed with how Reverb treats their customers and that's a shame.

secretsoundz, jturner and RKDallas like this.
  3. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Not all sellers are irresponsible, unjust, corrupt sellers cheating buyers, not all buyers are crazy nutjob buyers trying to get something for nothing. But unfortunately those who are make everyone on both sides of the fence look bad.

morgan918 and jturner like this.
  4. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

Tend to agree with this as a good filter. Many years ago I had a boss in a heavy transaction type of business tell me "how they start is how they finish". IME that has been spot on.

jturner, budglo58 and BlueCajun like this.
  5. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

The guy is currently selling an $1800 guitar.

The fact that Reverb is allowing that after what he did to you is poor oversight.

I would hate to have my $1800 tied up while waiting to see if the guy decides
    to ship it or not.

And I am sure that the guitar will be in great condition, probably due to the fact
    that the guy takes the same care of his guitars that he does to his personal business. :D

cutaway and RKDallas like this.
  6. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

I only make a point to buy from reputable, well reviewed sellers. People with many many 4-5 stars review (with comments).

I personally wouldn't have bought from this person... no bio on his store, only 8 reviews and no comments on either. No info anywhere really and looks pretty new.

bigfoamfinger likes this.
  7. Phineas Ball

Phineas Ball Fuzz Silver Supporting Member

Me, too. I think Reverb's great. I've had one weird transaction in about 100. Anything with a 99% success rate is pretty amazing, if you ask me. There's more to ratings than stars; drill down a little. When, for example, a guitar seller has multiple people writing "great communication, packed extremely well, awesome seller!" then you get a pretty good idea you're dealing with someone straight up.

8. Len Bias III

Len Bias III Member

Reverb has gone way downhill in the past few years. Most of the scammers and low-lifes from Guitar Center and Ebay jumped to Reverb.
    With the tax laws now there is almost no incentive to shop there anymore. Too many haggling after the deal is done/partial refunds and general stupidity. Musician's Friend with coupons and no tax is just easier.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  9. dmac in SC

dmac in SC Silver Supporting Member

I bought a tuner on Reverb that didn't work. It was only 30 bucks and quite honestly wasn't worth the hassle for me to ship it back. Reverb wouldn't let me leave negative feedback..kept telling me to work it out with the seller, who wouldn't respond to my messages... In fairness, I have had many good dealings there too, but I'm done now.

This. Craigslist in any major city has tons of good stuff. A good deal is worth a road trip.

Gig Young and JB_SC like this.
  10. ChrisN

ChrisN Supporting Member

Seller's supposed to ship w/in 3 days of payment lock-down. How is Reverb on seller's side here if that hasn't happened. There has to be more to this story

https://reverb.com/page/shipping-guide

Item Cleared for Shipment
    When the item is cleared for shipment, it must be shipped within 3 business days.

morgan918, sitedrifter and lendryesky like this.
  11. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

I've had both good and bad experiences on Reverb, Ebay, TGP classifieds, and even Craigslist. Overwhelmingly, my experiences are positive, but a very small percentage are bad. I usually see this as a reflection of human nature, not the business practices of a particular organization. The whole idea of buying and selling person-to-person across the anonymity of the Internet is fraught with risk. I'm surprised it works as well as it does. But the calculus is simple: You accept some risk in exchange for lower prices. If you want less risk and more assurances, you can buy new and pay more.

The thing that makes this story surprising and disturbing is the idea that the valid negative feedback left by the buyer has been purged in some way. Feedback is the only mechanism for accountability online. Without it, Reverb will quickly become a dodgy place like Craigslist. The bad actors are always drawn to the places where there's no accountability. And a system in which there's no feedback is bad enough, but a system of false feedback (only positive reviews allowed) is even worse.

DGrig likes this.
  12. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

I also think it's funny that you cannot leave 3 star or less feedback without messaging the seller.

This seems to inflate seller ratings, and basically makes me not want to leave feedback if I'm not allowed to leave "my" feedback.

Neverwhere, BlueCajun and lizardking like this.
  13. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Basically that is just a guideline and not a hard and fast rule.

If someone doesnt ship, Reverb will get involved, but if you press the issue they will admit
    there is nothing they can do but give a refund after all other efforts fail.

14. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

Yes, I’ve been thinking about such action.

It seems you can really pull a lot of crap and Reverb will forgive and forget. I’m glad they are not the judge and jury on more important matters.

I called Reverb and I’m expecting them to take some action. We will see if they choose a path towards letting buyers beware of blatant and deliberate misconduct.

15. ReelBigSpikey

ReelBigSpikey Member

I too have had a bad experience recently with Reverb after 2 years of nothing but good things. A seller (https://reverb.com/shop/steampunk) shipped me a Radial JDV DI with a frayed power cord on the power supply that was covered up with electrical tape and was not disclosed in the listing. I asked for a partial refund to cover the cost of a new power supply. The seller wanted me to ship the broken power supply back at my cost, which I refused. The seller then asked for return of the entire item. I shipped it back to the address he gave me and USPS returned it as undeliverable. The seller refused to provide a different address or his real name. After much wrangling, the seller finally refunded $30, less than the $40 it cost to get a new power supply, not to mention the money I wasted shipping to an undeliverable address.

Reverb did offer some cash credit to cover my losses. What really upset me is that I wasn't able to leave feedback for this individual because all of this process took longer than the 45 days they allow you to leave feedback. Reverb absolutely would not allow me to leave feedback "because it was against their policy." Apparently they don't care that a seller (who has a known track record of shipping broken items) is continuing to rip people off--I guess that isn't "against their policy."

Also, the seller left negative feedback for me. Given that I had Reverb messages documenting the whole encounter, I asked Reverb to remove the negative feedback. They refused.

Lesson learned is that Reverb doesn't have your back. Check feedback and don't purchase from anyone who doesn't have a 100% rating.

secretsoundz likes this.
  16. sheikyerbouti

sheikyerbouti Supporting Member

I like it way better than ebay.

17. danoverb

danoverb Member

Hey all -- just seeing this. Honestly, it seems like something is off here to me and I'm looking into this with the proper managers. Sorry I don't have any specific info, but OP and anyone else who's having any issues, feel free to reach out to me directly.

18. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

I suspect the seller feedback was deleted because the transaction was not finalized. Technically, you never bought anything from him. He never got the money, you never got the goods, ergo...transaction never happened.

Obviously this is a disservice to future buyers, but I can see how it might have happened.

19. 61cygni

61cygni Member

I don't think I've ever seen a seller with less than a perfect 5 star history. That being said, I've only had good transactions on Reverb.

lizardking likes this.
  20. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

He did say : The charge had to be disputed with my credit card provider in order to get my refund. Money went somewhere - but perhaps it didn't reach the release point? But if it didn't go out the Credit Card company wouldn't dispute the charge - because there isn't a charge if the money didn't go to the seller - and is sitting in limbo waiting for the confirmed shipping and reception.