Reverb business practices - bad seller

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RKDallas, Jul 12, 2019.

1. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

RKDallas and FLYING V 83 like this.
  2. ReelBigSpikey

ReelBigSpikey Member

For the Reverb employee, one thing I would suggest is that your company extend the time period that feedback is allowed up to 90 days. And also clearly state the date when feedback will no longer be accepted.

bfdeluxeab763 likes this.
  3. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

<Message to seller> "Excuse me, really sorry to bother you and certainly don't intend to impose on your time, but - if I may be so bold - would you mind shipping me the guitar for which I sent you my money? Please don't get irate!" :p Just kidding MusicalMan - I agree with what you're saying here - 99% of time you can get a pretty good read on someone based on the interaction with them. Good thing OP outed the seller. Do folks really think they can treat buyers like this without it spreading quickly? Not very bright...

4. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

I wouldn't respond to that...

5. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

He's an hour & a half from me.
    How bad do you want the guitar? ;)

Gig Young, metr01d, cutaway and 2 others like this.
  6. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

4 pages in, have we had the TGP standard "Thats why you don't buy guitars online" guy yet?

OP, sorry about this. Reverb is getting weirder and weirder

7. SRQGuitar

SRQGuitar Director of the 2019 Like Farming Initiative Gold Supporting Member

The Reverb feedback system is jacked. I stick to Craigslist and FB Marketplace. It's easier to spot the losers.

BlueCajun likes this.
  8. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

Has anyone sold anything on eBay lately?

9. jiml

jiml Member

Blaming the decline of humanity for these sorts of things seems silly.

We should be blaming Reverb for enabling this behavior, and allowing these types of sellers to continue to sell on their site.

I have had good transactions there, but it seems that there is a thread about bad deals, questionable ethics and deadbeat sellers every day.

10. data_null

data_null Member

Yes, but people are generally not as likely to post threads about their great, or run of the mill, experiences on Reverb. So for every one thread you see about a bad experience, there are thousands of other people who had no issues at all with their transactions.

Jeffj, Ltsft and Len Bias III like this.
  11. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Certainly have! Around page 2...

xzacx, coffeecupman and Da Geezer like this.
  12. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I have, quite a few things recently.

13. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

If indeed everything has happened exactly as you say it did then I would send reverb a link to this thread and let them know that their business practices aren't helping their cause.

14. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Buying an instrument remotely is perilous. Last year I bought a Strat-o-sonic from a guy. I received it and found the paint bubbling and peeling badly around the neck pocket (man, Fender USA finishing is just the pits). I looked at the photos in the seller's listing and it was pretty apparent that he finessed the photos to NOT show this issue.

I communicated with the seller. He asked me to ship it back at my expense, and he would give me a refund. Unacceptable. I then contacted Reverb, and showed them some photos of my own. They sided with me. Once the seller realized he'd be on the hook for shipping both ways on a $600 guitar, he offered to reduce the price. Oh yeah, he was a slow shipper as well.

Anyway, my point is that the Reverb system worked exactly as it was supposed to in my case. Your situation seems so out of character that I wonder if there's more to the story.

In my case, the seller left me one star and called me a scammer. I didn't sweat it because all my other transactions are 5 stars. But it's still there. Again, I'm questioning why Reverb would remove feedback from your seller. @danoverb from Reverb frequents this site. Perhaps he might explain.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  15. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Your situation was very outside of the ordinary but in 99.9 percent of the cases
    45 days should be plenty.

Even ebay does not go 90 days.

16. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Maybe it's me, but I try to leave feedback promptly. As a seller, I wait until the item is delivered to give buyer feedback. I'm not sure what three full months would add.

17. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

I'm going to try it again. It has been awhile but I never had a problem in the past

18. motokev

motokev Member

My buying days have slowed.

But, when I do buy they must have a high number of positive "seller" feedbacks, like 50+. If I see even one negative feedback I move on.

19. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Supporting Member

I’ve had that very thing happen to me. Had a buyer who never paid up. To Reverb’s credit, they were great about cancelling the transaction. But that also meant I could not leave feedback. I think that’s a flaw in their system that I hope gets resolved one day. I felt I was my responsibility to other sellers to leave honest feedback.

20. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

I sell on eBay all day long, every day.