Reverb business practices - bad seller

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RKDallas, Jul 12, 2019.

1. bfdeluxeab763

bfdeluxeab763 Member

the only reason you guys “step in” is to attempt to save face on these types of forums. i’ve had buyers lie about things being broken just to return items they didn’t like & end around your policies and you’ve done nothing to help. every time i’ve had an issue reverb’s staff has been useless in helping and i’ve had to take it on the chin. you guys want to do as little as possible & sit back and collect your fees. if anything goes sideways in the transaction, you’re on your own.

stonem, DETRONATI, moosewayne and 2 others like this.
  2. bfdeluxeab763

bfdeluxeab763 Member

they should also not interfere with people leaving negative feedback if it’s honest.

3. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

With this unpredictable guy it’s best to keep your distance. I like your sentiment. Anyways, you’d have to change your name to Guido if you start handling these sorts of things. ;-)

JPH118 and FLYING V 83 like this.
  4. Zappatalist

Zappatalist Supporting Member

I've had mixed results with Reverb, and I'm not surprised by the OP's story.

My experiences are similar to most here- a majority of my transactions have been positive and hassle-free, but only because the buyers/sellers have been good folk.

I've also had the buyer's remorse scenarios where items I sold were returned with a fictitious "problem" and I had to eat shipping both ways, thanks to Reverb. I've also had items that I purchased off the site go missing before they got to me, and Reverb did absolutely nothing to make it right and said I was on my own- in each case I was out the purchase price, shipping, etc., and Reverb did nothing. In all of the aforementioned cases, I was prevented from leaving negative feedback for the other party, and was instead pushed to "resolve the issue" with the other party, even though we had already reached an impass. You have two choices there- no feedback, or positive feedback.

dmac in SC likes this.
  5. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Here is one that happened to me - they did little or nothing.

I sold a new Digitech pedal, buyer messaged weeks later and said "dude pedal don't work gotta send it back".

I said it's new, double check everything and make sure (I had also pre- tested it).

Got a couple more jumbled messages, and had a weird feeling so I decided to Google the buyer.

Via an article in a hip hop magazine, it turns out buyer was a 14 year old kid who doesn't go to school and sits around and makes beats all day in a neighbors studio.

The article said he loved weird beats, and he loved to get effects and use them to make sounds they weren't intended for.

It also said he played no instruments but may try piano.

So his next message (I had already agreed to the return), I told him I knew he was 14 and that he didn't even play guitar, and the pedal had to have input from a guitar to make sound.

He was just trying to use this pedal in the studio for free a few times then return it.

Of course, he knew he was busted and dropped the return, but I was upset Reverb did not screen the buyers and allowed him in to buy in the first place.

When I told them they acted like they could not care less, and the kid is still a registered seller on Reverb.

So I guess he gets all the free pedals he can use, courtesy of Reverb.

6. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Between buyers and sellers avoiding giving honest assessments out of fear of retaliation and the platforms themsevles preventing it, feedback has always been a joke, on both eBay and Reverb.
    Judging by this post, you've had numerous bad experiences on Reverb. This begs the question: why continue rewarding them with your business?

Zappatalist likes this.
  7. jpastras

jpastras Supporting Member

I’ve been buying and selling gear online since vintage guitar and HC classifieds, back when you had to mail a money order to pay, because web-based payment did not exist.

This forum was basically the very best way to buy and sell gear other than doing a local deal or supporting your local shop.

Reverb offers a big selection, and that’s great, but so did these Emporiums. And the Emporium here charged no fees.

I cannot understand why people flocked to a more expensive way to get the same job done.

Just MO: support your local retailer.c and support forums like these - you “own” this along with the rest of the participants, and it can be as good as you want it to be, through your own behavior and interactions with others.

stonem, 2pods and Lux like this.
  8. data_null

data_null Member

Are you suggesting that Reverb should have a requirement that you currently have to be a musician in order to make purchases on their site? Or are you referring to his age?

Markdude likes this.
  9. danoverb

danoverb Member

Hey all -- just wanted to provide a quick update here, though I'm in communication with OP privately. The seller on this original order has been suspended. As far as the deletion of the original feedback, that clearly should have never happened and is being addressed internally. As always feel free to DM me if anyone has any concerns or issues on the site. thanks.

10. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Supporting Member

Thank you VERY much for being a responsible Reverb liaison and representative for us here at TGP.

11. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

Same here. I was sold some counterfeit vape supplies (hold the jokes:p), and I opened a claim with PayPal. I provided picture comparisons and they took my case and refunded my money.

Unexplainedbacon likes this.
  12. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Sad but true. Even TGP has changed drastically in the past 10yrs, It might be a better place if you had to pay to be here.

However, I have done way to many transactions on all the forums, including ebay and reverb and I still say most of these bad experiences that get posted are exceptions.

13. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

i sold a strat last week. shipping was $20 higher than calculated on ebay's system and i didn't find out until i went to ship it. so i shipped anyway, thinking the buyer would have no issue paying the extra. nope. haven't seen a dime yet. and it's crickets from him. oh well.

14. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

If the shipping cost is higher than expected, the seller has 2 options:

1. Absorb the extra cost and ship, or
    2. Contact the buyer, explain the extra cost. and if he/she is willing to pay the additional cost, ship the item. If not, cancel the sale.

I will usually absorb the extra cost if it isn't much.

morgan918, BlueCajun and Ryno1331 like this.
  15. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

Here is my favorite Reverb support story:

A guy provided a tracking number and claimed he shipped it. The post office said they never received it.

Informed Reverb, who messaged the seller. Guy still claims he shipped it, said he would call the post office. Then it went into a stand still.

Suddenly, Reverb removed the seller's profile. Well, I can't contact the seller now! I called both the to and from post offices, they claim it was never shipped.

Reverb says I have to resolve through Paypal, but they'll still try to assist. Well, it took just about 2 months for PayPal to finish its dispute case and I got a refund.

During that time, once a week I got an email from a Reverb rep, asking for updates on the PayPal dispute. I ignored them until one message was a little more aggressive about getting an update.

I reponded with "Are you my mom? Because you are certainly good at meddling in my affairs without offering any real assistance."

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    stonem, jiml, JPH118 and 2 others like this.
  16. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

It's what I did. I do wish the buyer would have at least been man (or woman) enough to respond.

17. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The "how much will shipping cost" thing is broken on both websites! I've taken to padding the estimated shipping by 20% or so, just because I know it'll cost me that much more to ship!

I, too, have been around since the days of HC (and California's online classifieds) and have sent 100s of money orders into the blue with only 3 or 4 bad deals. No question that the Ebay/Reverb "intermediaries" have made things more fraught (more fraud?). The last one I had was a Klon KTR I sold just before V2 came out. The buyer obviously heard about them being available again and shipped it back to me because "it didn't work". Of course, it worked perfectly. Interestingly, in that case I did alright because it sold for more during the next KTR drought, but still-there's no accountability for anyone in the system. So the fraudsters and gamers thrive and the honest people fret...

cutaway likes this.
  18. bfdeluxeab763

bfdeluxeab763 Member

i've had a couple. i've always just chalked it up to the idea that if you buy & sell enough on the internet sooner or later you're going to run into a bad situation. the last transaction that i had with reverb that required their "assistance" though really has me thinking twice about using them as a sales platform. i've never sold here in the emporium or on ebay, but i may have to look into those options.

19. Blooby

Blooby Member

I received a pedal that didn't work. Seller wouldn't return messages. Requested refund and still nothing. Reverb got involved and told me he wouldn't respond to their messages either, yet he was still actively selling and communicating with others from his Reverb shop. When I asked how this was possible when he was willingly ignoring the administrator's messages, I was told that freezing accounts in situations like this was not their policy. To be fair, Reverb did facilitate a refund. Thankfully, I've been fortunate with both the products and the people through Reverb otherwise.

20. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that you can tell if the feedback on Reverb is for being a buyer or a seller unless the other person involved in the transaction makes a comment such as "Great seller", etc.

It might be helpful if that distinction could be made, but if negative feedback is being deleted then it doesn't really matter anyway.