Reverb business practices - bad seller

ripoffriffs

Supporting Member
If the seller does not ship, seller does not get paid. They have every incentive to ship the item so they can collect their mullahs. Something is fishy here.

I recently had my own Reverb horror story selling a tube combo:
It was a heavy 50lb combo. Buyer said he was from Cincinnati and was willing to drive 100 miles to my area to pick it up. He had already paid in advance and saved big time on the shipping. We agreed to meet on an I-69 exit Shell station that I am very familiar with. I got there on time, he got there about 5 minutes later. I loaded the combo in the trunk of his car, he showed me a nice reliced Strat that he was going to return to Sweetwater after our meet. I said nice, but he really wanted a Tele. Before we parted he got on the Reverb app and clicked on the Item Accepted button (or some such feature). Then we both drove off. Oh the horror!

Heinz57Pep

i've had a couple. i've always just chalked it up to the idea that if you buy & sell enough on the internet sooner or later you're going to run into a bad situation. the last transaction that i had with reverb that required their "assistance" though really has me thinking twice about using them as a sales platform. i've never sold here in the emporium or on ebay, but i may have to look into those options.
Ever considered scaling back on the horse trading, if not ceasing the activity entirely?

Noise Under The Floor

Gold Supporting Member
99% of the time Reverb has always sorted things out for me when I’ve had an issue, both buying and selling. I either get them on the phone or do the online chat.

The only thing I’m dissatisfied with is the inability to block other Reverb members. I had one guy send me over 30 insane rambling, ranting, abusive, profanity filled messages over 3 days. Reverb rep kept saying they would suspend him and block him from contacting me. They didn’t do either. He continued to message me and continued to sell. They really need a block feature that can be implemented at will by members.

NMGuitarblues

Good to know. I was thinking about buying a new (used) guitar off of Reverb next month. Will make sure I do my research before sending any money.

duality

I've had a couple issues buying items recently. My account only has a dozen-ish feedbacks.
Reverb has been bending over backwards to defend high volume (high number of feedbacks) sellers and it's blatant.
Seems to be a theme.

mvsr990

Some of you have unrealistic expectations of buying platforms - how are they going to "pre-screen" buyers or magically discern whether an item is actually broken/flawed? They didn't package it or receive it, even if they operated as a middle man in the event of a complaint who's to say what happened on either end?

These are all just risks you take selling anything online, you better factor it into your decision to sell via Ebay or Reverb. If you don't want to risk it, sell in person or to GC.

For every complaint from a seller you see on forums, there's an equal and opposite complaint from buyers about quality of goods or transaction.

I've been on both sides - I had a buyer claim nonexistent wear, that I'd switched necks (on a guitar with a painted headstock) and so on trying to grift me for money. I've also gotten a guitar from a reputable shop (M&M Guitar Bar) that wasn't even remotely in the condition claimed and unplayable without spending another $150.

RKDallas

I’m happy to report Reverb has done the right thing after reviewing all the information.

They did not reinstate the feedback but they did drop the seller after deciding his actions did not represent what they want in the Reverb community.

This issue has been resolved and the seller, Mr Eric from Sicklerville, can find somewhere else to blatantly and intentionally screw people and threaten them.

Thank you Reverb.

Slicklickz

I just had a bad deal myself. Bought a pedal that had a bad pot. This was on a complicated digital pedal with multiple stacked circuit boards so not a really simple fix. This pot controlled the menus so it was more than just some scratchy sounds when turning. Anyhow reverb told me to file the complaint through PayPal so I did and for once they sided with me and gave me a refund. The seller insulted me and talked very poorly to me through reverb though. He should be kicked off the platform I think but they don’t see it that way.
Was it a pot or an encoder?

jwguitar

I would like to hear the other side of the story on this. Why would he refuse to ship it and why did Reverb remove your rating and he be allowed to sell still? What's the purpose of that, since if that's entirely true what you said then in the long run Reverb will lose business.?

There are usually 3 sides to every situation. What you say, what they say and what a 3rd party observation is. Well, it sounds like a lot of bad deals there overall but I can tell you I had a bad deal on eBay over 11 years ago and never went back, after what the police investigator found out about eBay business practices.
From what I have seen the only time Reverb will remove a rating is if the customer - not the seller - requests that it be taken down. I sell a lot of guitars on Reverb and there are some stores that have less than stellar ratings. I would stay away from any store that has less than 5 stars or less than 99% of positive transactions. I have seen a bunch of these lower rated stores on there so you do have to see how many transactions a store has and what they sold (as in are the customers happy with their experience dealing with both lower and higher priced items). Having said all that, reverb does offer protection to the buyer and the seller depending on the situation. The buyer, as he described the situation should have had his money returned to him. Certainly the seller's behavior described in the original post is absolutely unacceptable in anyway shape or form. I would be interested in why exactly the rating was removed.

Last edited:

budglo58

A few years ago I purchased a fender partscaster that supposedly had a genuine 60s neck and a Fender USA body. I messaged to the seller and asked questions . When I got it , something seemed off. I took it to my luthier who restores vintage instruments and he was able to verify in writing it was a fake. Contacted Reverb and I got my money back plus they sent me a return label.

A few weeks ago i purchased a 47 year old Martin. Asked about condition, cracks , saddle height , etc. Got honest answers . The seller was a brick and mortar store . Bought the guitar at a good price and am very happy with the purchase . I have no problem with Reverb as of today.

In regards to the partscaster , Reverb did mention the seller claimed it was a partscaster, but it was also noted that he was claiming an authentic 60s neck and USA body. That was the thing that helped make my case. I highly suggest asking those kind of questions before you buy. Like someone pointed out , you get a feel for the seller that way. As always its important to buy with confidence. If Im not confident in the seller , no deal.

texzy

I have had no issues with Reverb.
They have been helpful solving problems with transactions.
The problem is Paypal.
If a buyer files a claim with his CC holder and the cc holder reverses the payment, and the buyer keeps the package, then PayPal will charge you and cannot make the buyer return the item.
It happened to me.

RKDallas

From what I have seen the only time Reverb will remove a rating is if the customer - not the seller - requests that it be taken down. I sell a lot of guitars on Reverb and there are some stores that have less than stellar ratings. I would stay away from any store that has less than 5 stars or less than 99% of positive transactions. I have seen a bunch of these lower rated stores on there so you do have to see how many transactions a store has and what they sold (as in are the customers happy with their experience dealing with both lower and higher priced items). Having said all that, reverb does offer protection to the buyer and the seller depending on the situation. The buyer, as he described the situation should have had his money returned to him. Certainly the seller's behavior described in the original post is absolutely unacceptable in anyway shape or form. I would be interested in why exactly the rating was removed.
I was told the user policy indicates that a refunded order essentially voids the transaction as if it never happened. As a result the public reviews are deleted. In my case, it was never refunded through Reverb, my credit card company stepped in and provided the credit back.
This is something Reverb needs to fix. Transaction history in terms of reviews needs to be kept. Just because I got my money back doesn't mean there are no reputational decisions that deserve to be reviewed and kept for everyone to see.

Trending Topics