Reverb business practices - bad seller

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RKDallas, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

The problem is that many poor reviews just disappear. I recall the time The Stratosphere sold me a neck that was crushed and had lifted frets from the impact. They sold it as excellent to mint... had to go through PayPal and my credit card to have it refunded after I returned it on my dime. Reverb deleted my honest and politically correct review. They still have an excellent Reverb stat, although I bet it’s bogus.

BlueCajun and 665 like this.
  2. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

It's true, they do that. And honestly, even the best shops are going to have instances like that happen once and a while, and it sucks. I bought almost all of my guitars through CME, and they've been fantastic to me, but there's still a handful of people I've met that swear against them because they've had a bad experience.

For me it's just a general rule that if a shop has hundreds (or sometimes thousands) of positive review WITH COMMENTS (that part is very important) than the odds are gonna be in my favour. Especially if I know of the shop outside of Reverb and they have a good reputation generally.

coltonius likes this.
  3. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

4. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

If the seller does not ship, seller does not get paid. They have every incentive to ship the item so they can collect their mullahs. Something is fishy here.

I recently had my own Reverb horror story selling a tube combo:
    It was a heavy 50lb combo. Buyer said he was from Cincinnati and was willing to drive 100 miles to my area to pick it up. He had already paid in advance and saved big time on the shipping. We agreed to meet on an I-69 exit Shell station that I am very familiar with. I got there on time, he got there about 5 minutes later. I loaded the combo in the trunk of his car, he showed me a nice reliced Strat that he was going to return to Sweetwater after our meet. I said nice, but he really wanted a Tele. Before we parted he got on the Reverb app and clicked on the Item Accepted button (or some such feature). Then we both drove off. Oh the horror!

valvestate, morgan918, JPH118 and 4 others like this.
  5. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Ever considered scaling back on the horse trading, if not ceasing the activity entirely?

6. data_null

data_null Member

Ah, ok that makes more sense.

7. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    99% of the time Reverb has always sorted things out for me when I’ve had an issue, both buying and selling. I either get them on the phone or do the online chat.

The only thing I’m dissatisfied with is the inability to block other Reverb members. I had one guy send me over 30 insane rambling, ranting, abusive, profanity filled messages over 3 days. Reverb rep kept saying they would suspend him and block him from contacting me. They didn’t do either. He continued to message me and continued to sell. They really need a block feature that can be implemented at will by members.

VintageChime, madhermit and BlueCajun like this.
  8. NMGuitarblues

NMGuitarblues Member

Good to know. I was thinking about buying a new (used) guitar off of Reverb next month. Will make sure I do my research before sending any money.

9. duality

duality Supporting Member

I've had a couple issues buying items recently. My account only has a dozen-ish feedbacks.
    Reverb has been bending over backwards to defend high volume (high number of feedbacks) sellers and it's blatant.
    Seems to be a theme.

10. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Some of you have unrealistic expectations of buying platforms - how are they going to "pre-screen" buyers or magically discern whether an item is actually broken/flawed? They didn't package it or receive it, even if they operated as a middle man in the event of a complaint who's to say what happened on either end?

These are all just risks you take selling anything online, you better factor it into your decision to sell via Ebay or Reverb. If you don't want to risk it, sell in person or to GC.

For every complaint from a seller you see on forums, there's an equal and opposite complaint from buyers about quality of goods or transaction.

I've been on both sides - I had a buyer claim nonexistent wear, that I'd switched necks (on a guitar with a painted headstock) and so on trying to grift me for money. I've also gotten a guitar from a reputable shop (M&M Guitar Bar) that wasn't even remotely in the condition claimed and unplayable without spending another $150.

laurabaileysirishcre likes this.
  11. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

I’m happy to report Reverb has done the right thing after reviewing all the information.

They did not reinstate the feedback but they did drop the seller after deciding his actions did not represent what they want in the Reverb community.

This issue has been resolved and the seller, Mr Eric from Sicklerville, can find somewhere else to blatantly and intentionally screw people and threaten them.

Thank you Reverb.

12. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

:confused

Why are we looking at this? Are you trying to remind us that you're the guy who bought a POT and made multiple threads hyping it, and then listed it in the Emporium at an astonishing price? (Or the fact you finally sold it on Reverb?) Or are we supposed to take note of the use of exclamation points and superlatives in each listing?
    :bonk

13. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

LikeAMotherF likes this.
  14. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

Spammers gon Spam.

15. riscado

riscado Member

meddling with user feedback after it's been made public, seems like a very bad practice reverb...

JPH118 likes this.
  16. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

Was it a pot or an encoder?

17. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

From what I have seen the only time Reverb will remove a rating is if the customer - not the seller - requests that it be taken down. I sell a lot of guitars on Reverb and there are some stores that have less than stellar ratings. I would stay away from any store that has less than 5 stars or less than 99% of positive transactions. I have seen a bunch of these lower rated stores on there so you do have to see how many transactions a store has and what they sold (as in are the customers happy with their experience dealing with both lower and higher priced items). Having said all that, reverb does offer protection to the buyer and the seller depending on the situation. The buyer, as he described the situation should have had his money returned to him. Certainly the seller's behavior described in the original post is absolutely unacceptable in anyway shape or form. I would be interested in why exactly the rating was removed.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  18. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

I was going to say something similar. What happens on Reverb is a reflection of ourselves (the whole lot of us, not me or you specifically). The rental behavior is nothing more than one person wanting to take advantage of another.

19. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

You’re right sorry it was an encoder.

Slicklickz likes this.
  20. budglo58

budglo58 Member

A few years ago I purchased a fender partscaster that supposedly had a genuine 60s neck and a Fender USA body. I messaged to the seller and asked questions . When I got it , something seemed off. I took it to my luthier who restores vintage instruments and he was able to verify in writing it was a fake. Contacted Reverb and I got my money back plus they sent me a return label.

A few weeks ago i purchased a 47 year old Martin. Asked about condition, cracks , saddle height , etc. Got honest answers . The seller was a brick and mortar store . Bought the guitar at a good price and am very happy with the purchase . I have no problem with Reverb as of today.

In regards to the partscaster , Reverb did mention the seller claimed it was a partscaster, but it was also noted that he was claiming an authentic 60s neck and USA body. That was the thing that helped make my case. I highly suggest asking those kind of questions before you buy. Like someone pointed out , you get a feel for the seller that way. As always its important to buy with confidence. If Im not confident in the seller , no deal.